View Poll Results: Why have you decided not to use illegal drugs?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I hear horror stories about addiction to them

    15 25.86%
  • Because I know people personally who have suffered from addiction.

    17 29.31%
  • Because I am perfectly happy and serene without them (If it ain't broke...)

    31 53.45%
  • Because the consequences of their being illegal make life miserable for addicts

    12 20.69%
  • Simply because they are illegal

    11 18.97%
  • Other (specify in the thread if you would like)

    20 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 262

Thread: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

  1. #191
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Crack hits you faster and the effects do not last as long because you smoke it.

    Therefore you do more of it. Therefore you ge addicted faster.


    It is the same substance......


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  2. #192
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    But I do it anyways. Why? Because it feels good. You silly people analyze drugs like they're some complicated ****. There are millions of Americans who pop aspirins all day to feel better and can't go a single day without doing it. Why aren't aspirins called a crutch? The demonizing of drugs like marijuana needs to stop. It's just stupid after a while and shows the hypocrisy of anti-drug culture.
    Do you think possibly the alcohol producers have really powerful lobbyists, and this is why drugs aren't legal? Makes sense to me. If drugs were legalized a whole lot of people would quit drinking. Would cut into the homeless problem, too, cause some of those people would switch over and possibly become regular working citizens.

    Alcohol makes people messy. They start staggering, slurring their words. I'm not sure what drugs do, but I think some people see things more clearly, their artistic side may become enhanced. I've always thought The Beatles, and Stevie Wonder, and who knows who else, did some of their better stuff while taking drugs. Stevie Wonder's, "Songs in the Key of Life" to me was some of his best stuff, and I think he was dabbling in drugs at the time. Many artists of yesteryear painted some of their best stuff while taking drugs, Michaelangelo had to be taking something when he was laying on his back painting the Sistene Chapel. His back had to be killing him, and his arms. Anybody ever paint a ceiling on a ladder? Try doing it laying on scaffolding on your back.

    Ok, I'll shut up now. The reason I don't take drugs is because they are illegal, and I don't have the money, and my husband would divorce me.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  3. #193
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    They are very similar and affect different people differently. Your statement is based on opinion and completely ignores the evidence I posted.
    Crack withdrawal and heroin withdrawal are not very similar at all. Herion withdrawal is typically far worse.

    From you source:

    Cocaine withdrawal:

    agitation
    depression
    intense craving for the drug
    extreme fatigue
    anxiety
    angry outbursts
    lack of motivation
    nausea/vomiting
    shaking
    irritability
    muscle pain
    disturbed sleep
    Herion witdrawal:

    dilated pupils

    piloerection (goose bumps)
    watery eyes
    runny nose
    yawning
    loss of appetite
    tremors
    panic
    chills
    nausea
    muscle cramps
    insomnia
    stomach cramps
    diarrhea
    vomiting
    shaking
    chills or profuse sweating
    irritability
    jitterness
    Clearlyu there are many more physical symptoms associated with herion withdrawal.

    My "opinion" is based on seeing the evidence. Herion withdrawal is typically far worse physically than cocaine withdrawal. In fact, most stimulants (such as nicotine and cocaine) do not show physical withdrawal symptoms. They are mostly emotional in nature. Depressants (Alcohol and Herion) are noted for their major physical symptoms coupled with emotional symptoms.

    My experineces with both withdrawal symptoms is that a person suffereing from heroin withdrawal is quite obviously dopesick. They writhe in pain, sweat, vomit, and generally freak the hell out. A person suffering from cocaine withdrawal will be twitchy, cranky and fairly lethargic, but they are not obviously dopesick.

    And that beign said, the worst withdrawals I've ever seen were alcohol withdrawals, which can kill a person. They go into seizures, hallucinate, and vomit.





    My reasons for crack being worse than simple powdered cocaine is that the addictive properties and costs are different. The degree of the "high" is different. They are quite similar in feeling, but crack is worse because the shorter high and instant euphoria will lead to an increased liklihood for dependency because more doses will be taken in the same relative timefram to sustain the high.

    Studies have shown that crack users will be more likely to become addicted than people who snort based on these reasons.

    And the chemical properties of crack are different. Specifically, the fact that Methylecgonidine is created with crack, but not powdered cocaine. This is a more dangerous substance in no small part because of that.

    The effects of the high are similar, in fact identical, because the properties of taking a dopamine reuptake inhibitor will have the same effects.

    But what makes a drug different has nothing to do with the high, and everything to do with teh chemicals injested.

    Thus, crack is way worse than cocaine, because it is chemically different.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #194
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Completely wrong.

    What part about "easier to get" are you having a problem with?

    In any form after turned into a powder it has EXACTLY the same chemical reaction on the brain, period.
    They have the same affect on the brain, but they are chemically different substances.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #195
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Completely wrong.

    What part about "easier to get" are you having a problem with?

    In any form after turned into a powder it has EXACTLY the same chemical reaction on the brain, period.



    What difference? I was an LEO and have arrested both. No difference.
    LEO? What is that? I can mention CEO.. A lot of them use cocaine and still have success. I hardly believe there are any CEOs who use crack. Half of hollywood use cocaine on a regular basis, only Amy Whitehouse use crack, and you see how she ended up. Completely wrecked, and she is not using heroin, she is using crack.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #196
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    LEO? What is that? I can mention CEO.. A lot of them use cocaine and still have success. I hardly believe there are any CEOs who use crack. Half of hollywood use cocaine on a regular basis, only Amy Whitehouse use crack, and you see how she ended up. Completely wrecked, and she is not using heroin, she is using crack.
    LEO = law enforcement officer.

    From a study supporting the abolition of the crack/powder sentencing disparity:

    CONCLUSION: Cocaine hydrochloride is readily converted to base prior to use. The physiological and psychoactive effects of cocaine are similar regardless of whether it is in the form of cocaine hydrochloride or crack cocaine (cocaine base). However, evidence exists showing a greater abuse liability, greater propensity for dependence, and more severe consequences when cocaine is smoked (cocaine-base) or injected intravenously (cocaine hydrochloride) compared with intranasal use (cocaine hydrochloride). The crucial variables appear to be the immediacy, duration, and magnitude of cocaine's effect, as well as the frequency and amount of cocaine used rather than the form of the cocaine.
    While the two things might be nearly identical in their chemical composition, the way they're consumed means that one is in many ways more different than the other. That makes it completely reasonable to treat one differently than the other.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #197
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Too bad there is a vegas rule here, otherwise I'd show your contradictory statments.
    What is a Vegas rule?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #198
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    What is a Vegas rule?
    It refers to the basement. What happens there, stays there.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #199
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It refers to the basement. What happens there, stays there.
    Ah. Thank you for the clarification.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #200
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,783

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Crack withdrawal and heroin withdrawal are not very similar at all. Herion withdrawal is typically far worse.
    I do not agree at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    From you source:

    Cocaine withdrawal:



    Herion witdrawal:



    Clearlyu there are many more physical symptoms associated with herion withdrawal.
    Not really take a closer look....

    Under heroin nausea and vomiting are listed separately. With depression such as you can get with cocaine withdrawals a new series of physical symptoms appear.

    No they are both just as bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    My "opinion" is based on seeing the evidence.
    A member of your family? Well that is unbiased and completely scientific. I stand corrected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Herion withdrawal is typically far worse physically than cocaine withdrawal.
    I agree it is worse, but "far worse" is an overstatement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    In fact, most stimulants (such as nicotine and cocaine) do not show physical withdrawal symptoms. They are mostly emotional in nature. Depressants (Alcohol and Herion) are noted for their major physical symptoms coupled with emotional symptoms.
    Cocaine withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:

    agitation
    depression
    intense craving for the drug*
    extreme fatigue*
    anxiety
    angry outbursts
    lack of motivation
    nausea/vomiting*
    shaking*
    irritability
    muscle pain*
    disturbed sleep


    Looks like allot of physical symptoms? It also says "not limited to."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    My experineces with both withdrawal symptoms is that a person suffereing from heroin withdrawal is quite obviously dopesick. They writhe in pain, sweat, vomit, and generally freak the hell out. A person suffering from cocaine withdrawal will be twitchy, cranky and fairly lethargic, but they are not obviously dopesick.
    Then your experience is just a tad off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And that beign said, the worst withdrawals I've ever seen were alcohol withdrawals, which can kill a person. They go into seizures, hallucinate, and vomit.
    No argument from me on that one. Definitely the worst.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    My reasons for crack being worse than simple powdered cocaine is that the addictive properties and costs are different. The degree of the "high" is different. They are quite similar in feeling, but crack is worse because the shorter high and instant euphoria will lead to an increased liklihood for dependency because more doses will be taken in the same relative timefram to sustain the high.

    Studies have shown that crack users will be more likely to become addicted than people who snort based on these reasons.
    I am not talking about snorting cocaine, I said main lining it. It is almost a duplicate of smoking crack. I know for a fact as I have done all three.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And the chemical properties of crack are different. Specifically, the fact that Methylecgonidine is created with crack, but not powdered cocaine. This is a more dangerous substance in no small part because of that.

    The effects of the high are similar, in fact identical, because the properties of taking a dopamine reuptake inhibitor will have the same effects.

    But what makes a drug different has nothing to do with the high, and everything to do with teh chemicals injested.

    Thus, crack is way worse than cocaine, because it is chemically different.
    "Three routes of administration are commonly used for cocaine: snorting, injecting, and smoking. Snorting is the process of inhaling cocaine powder through the nose, where it is absorbed into the bloodstream through the nasal tissues. Injecting is the use of a needle to release the drug directly into the bloodstream. Smoking involves inhaling cocaine vapor or smoke into the lungs, where absorption into the bloodstream is as rapid as by injection. All three methods of cocaine abuse can lead to addiction and other severe health problems, including increasing the risk of contracting HIV and infectious diseases.

    The intensity and duration of cocaine’s effects, which include increased energy, reduced fatigue, and mental alertness, depend on the route of drug administration. The faster cocaine is absorbed into the bloodstream and delivered to the brain, the more intense the high. Injecting or smoking cocaine produces a quicker, stronger high than snorting. On the other hand, faster absorption usually means shorter duration of action. The high from snorting cocaine may last 15 to 30 minutes, but the high from smoking may last only 5 to 10 minutes. In order to sustain the high, a cocaine abuser has to administer the drug again. For this reason, cocaine is sometimes abused in binges—taken repeatedly within a relatively short period of time, at increasingly high doses.
    " - Crack and Cocaine - NIDA InfoFacts

    Why don't you post some scientific data saying they are chemically different?

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •