View Poll Results: Why have you decided not to use illegal drugs?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I hear horror stories about addiction to them

    15 25.86%
  • Because I know people personally who have suffered from addiction.

    17 29.31%
  • Because I am perfectly happy and serene without them (If it ain't broke...)

    31 53.45%
  • Because the consequences of their being illegal make life miserable for addicts

    12 20.69%
  • Simply because they are illegal

    11 18.97%
  • Other (specify in the thread if you would like)

    20 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 262

Thread: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    The biggest social side effect of cigarettes is bad breath and second hand smoke. Not even close.
    You forgot cancer and heart disease and blood clots and high blood pressure and emphysema and birth defects, just to name a few.

  2. #122
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Perhaps I'm misinformed, but everything I have read suggests your comparison of nicotine addiction to cocaine addiction is inaccurate. Someone smoking 20 years can kick the habit while a cocaine user of 20 years will be significantly scarred from their long-term experience.
    Cocaine addicts can also kick the habit. Not many smokers quit btw. Its frequently described as perhaps the very most addictive drug, beating heroine even. As a percentage of total users its very unlikely that a higher percentage of tobacco addicts kick their habits as for example cocaine and heroine. Cocaine and heroine compared with tobacco is a tiny health problem overall with far less addicts.

    I dont know any smokers of 20+ years that have totally kicked their habits. I know many that have tried.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  3. #123
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I disagree. People on cocaine are chasing a high. People using nicotine have a completely different type of addiction. People who quit cigarettes do not go into withdrawals that can kill them.



    I guess you have never seen someone pull a knife on someone else because they would not give back a crack pipe? Never seen that happen with a cigarette, ever.
    I think we all agree that its powder cocaine we are talking about, NOT crack cocaine which you seem to be talking about. Two completely different things.
    I think everyone agrees that crack is worse than just about anything, including cigarettes, while its far more doubtful with powder cocaine.
    Last edited by Maximus Zeebra; 01-05-09 at 05:24 PM.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  4. #124
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,235

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Lets see

    -impairment of judgment
    -money sink
    -short term memory problems
    -addictive

    How do any of these effects benefit society. It has been my experience that people who smoke marijuana are usually lazy, lack a job (collect unemployment), lack motivation, and lack respect for law.

    You may enjoy it personally, but people who care about you pick up the slack and are forced to watch you drag yourself down.
    Some of that applies to alcohol and tobacco too, should they be illegal?

    As for me. The illegal drugs I've chosen not to do I've done so because they effects they have. The illegal drugs I've chosen to do I've do so because of limited negative consequence, ease of proper regulation (i.e. not using too much), and they're fun.
    Last edited by Ikari; 01-05-09 at 05:24 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #125
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Cocaine addicts can also kick the habit. Not many smokers quit btw. Its frequently described as perhaps the very most addictive drug, beating heroine even. As a percentage of total users its very unlikely that a higher percentage of tobacco addicts kick their habits as for example cocaine and heroine. Cocaine and heroine compared with tobacco is a tiny health problem overall with far less addicts.

    I dont know any smokers of 20+ years that have totally kicked their habits. I know many that have tried.
    My uncle kicked smoking after 60 years. Comparing numbers does little for comparison purposes since the effects are not even close to being the same.

    The fact is smoking and alcohol are already ingrained in society and are far less addicting than cocaine. As I see it Marijuana is a less clear case which could result in interesting debate, Cocaine is open and shut.

  6. #126
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Some of that applies to alcohol and tobacco too, should they be illegal?

    As for me. The illegal drugs I've chosen not to do I've done so because they effects they have. The illegal drugs I've chosen to do I've do so because of limited negative consequence, ease of proper regulation (i.e. not using too much), and they're fun.
    All those things apply to tobacco and alcohol as well.

    But alcohol damages the brain and nerve system as well, something that for example Marijuana do not(but rather mutates parts of the body very slowly if frequently used).

    I have seen some people who smoke marijuana/hasjis every day, all the time, for years, they change. But the same is true for tobacco especially, but also alcohol.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #127
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    My uncle kicked smoking after 60 years. Comparing numbers does little for comparison purposes since the effects are not even close to being the same.

    The fact is smoking and alcohol are already ingrained in society and are far less addicting than cocaine. As I see it Marijuana is a less clear case which could result in interesting debate, Cocaine is open and shut.
    Not really, the total negative effects of cocaine if it was legal(but restricted) would be less than alcohol and about the same as cigarettes.

    Ps. I have also heard miracle stories about people who quit smoking, they are rare.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  8. #128
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,235

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    something that for example Marijuana do not(but rather mutates parts of the body very slowly if frequently used).
    Wait...you're saying that if I smoke pot, I'll gain super powers!? Sweet! I need to find a supplier.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #129
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I disagree. People on cocaine are chasing a high. People using nicotine have a completely different type of addiction. People who quit cigarettes do not go into withdrawals that can kill them.
    Cocaine withdrawal won't kill someone. I don;t know where you got that from.



    "The withdrawal from cocaine may not be as unstable as withdrawal from alcohol."

    If someone dies while withdrawing form Cocaine, then it is probably an overdose or suicide. In total, the withdrawal symptoms are very much like Nicotine withdrawal.

    I guess you have never seen someone pull a knife on someone else because they would not give back a crack pipe? Never seen that happen with a cigarette, ever.
    I've seen someone beat the living **** out of someone for stealing their smokes.

    I've seen my brother go through heroin withdrawal more than once while attempting to get off of heroin (he's been clean for over a year and a half now). That is a real withdrawal.

    I've also seen someone go through alcohol withdrawal. Looks quite the same as heroin, actually. Screaming, twitching, vomiting, violence, etc.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #130
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Some of that applies to alcohol and tobacco too, should they be illegal?

    As for me. The illegal drugs I've chosen not to do I've done so because they effects they have. The illegal drugs I've chosen to do I've do so because of limited negative consequence, ease of proper regulation (i.e. not using too much), and they're fun.
    Some of them do indeed apply, my list is by no means exhaustive though. Admittedly my opening statement was rash and more extreme than I intended. The argument for Marijuana is strong when compared with Cigarettes. I could live with the legalization of Marijuana, but would still support employer testing, public smoking bans, and DWI screening.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •