View Poll Results: Why have you decided not to use illegal drugs?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I hear horror stories about addiction to them

    15 25.86%
  • Because I know people personally who have suffered from addiction.

    17 29.31%
  • Because I am perfectly happy and serene without them (If it ain't broke...)

    31 53.45%
  • Because the consequences of their being illegal make life miserable for addicts

    12 20.69%
  • Simply because they are illegal

    11 18.97%
  • Other (specify in the thread if you would like)

    20 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 262

Thread: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

  1. #111
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Are you suggesting drug inspired crime will go away if we legalized cocaine?
    Yes. Much like prostitution where violence can only occur because the act is illegal. If a prostitute is raped, she cannot go to the police seeking aid. Same goes for drugs: There would be no drug smuggling or "drug deals gone wrong" if they were legal.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #112
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,717

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    This is because cocaine is illegal and expensive, no other reason.
    Cigs also have some serious social side effects.
    No. It is NOT expensive. It is the fact they spend every penny they have to get it. HUGE difference.

    With crack you can end up one of two ways in jail or dead in a very short amount of time. The same cannot be said for cigarettes.

    The biggest social side effect of cigarettes is bad breath and second hand smoke. Not even close.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Yes, thats why I said alcohol is worse than anything, EXCEPT crack, amphetamines and heroin.
    I sort of agree here. I don't agree fully because so many designer drugs like acid, Ecstasy etc was left off the list.

    In the end I think drugs should not be illegal anyway for adults. I own my body and don't need the government to tell me what I can or cannot put in my body.

    For the record; I don't use drugs.

  3. #113
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    So, tell me again what point you are making -- I am failing to see your argument. It's been a long day at work, take it easy on me.
    He knows you are right, and is as best as he can trying to avoid admitting that.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  4. #114
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Are you suggesting drug inspired crime will go away if we legalized cocaine?
    Cocaine itself doesn't make people commit those crimes described (assault and stealing) or make them lie. The inability to get cocaine easily does. If some smokers were dying for a nicotine fix, they'd do the same stuff.

    For the most part, cocaine just makes people talk too damned much and grind their teeth.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #115
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Plus, we would have a lot less dead cops. There is no reason for someone transporting a truckload of cocaine/marijuana/LSD to shoot a cop if what he is doing is a legal activity. So, we have less dead police officers and virtually no drug-related crimes.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #116
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. It is NOT expensive. It is the fact they spend every penny they have to get it. HUGE difference.

    With crack you can end up one of two ways in jail or dead in a very short amount of time. The same cannot be said for cigarettes.

    The biggest social side effect of cigarettes is bad breath and second hand smoke. Not even close.
    There are many other bad effects of cigarettes, its one of the biggest drains of all on the healthcare system and budgets for example.
    I was not talking about crack btw, but cocaine powder. Crack is something entirely different, difference of cocaine and crack is like the difference between cocaine leaves and cocaine powder.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I sort of agree here. I don't agree fully because so many designer drugs like acid, Ecstasy etc was left off the list.

    In the end I think drugs should not be illegal anyway for adults. I own my body and don't need the government to tell me what I can or cannot put in my body.

    For the record; I don't use drugs.
    Ecstasy is amphetamines..

    Forgot acid yes, put it on the same list as worse than alcohol.


    I dont use drugs either.. I have tried a few, mostly Marijuana derivatives.

    I used to smoke and drink, but dont do that anymore. I can witness the bad effects of cigarettes. I smoked for 6 years, it took me 3 years of hard exercise and healthy diet to catch up to the health I should have been in if I never smoked, and still I am probably a bit behind. So I guess it will take around 5 years to delete the effects of cigarettes.
    Its one of the worst ways to deteriorate the body that exists today, especially since you use it so frequently unlike some other drugs.

    So as of now and for a few years I do not take drugs, do not drink and do not smoke. Exercise and healthy diet is a damn good drug to me, never tasted anything better
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Ummmm have you ever seen a crack baby?
    Ummmmm, have you ever seen a baby that suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome or a baby that suffers from fatally low birth weights because of cigarettes? All drugs have negative side-effects. That you cannot appreciate this fact merely demonstrates your narrow-mindedness and emotional bias against pragmatic solutions.

    Or what cocaine does to an neighborhood?
    Think rationally. Why do you think crack (not regular cocaine) ravages communities? Because criminalizing its sale creates an unregulated black market and discourages addicts from seeking help. Do you honestly think it serves a relevant purpose to jail non-violent drug users? Can you appreciate what a jail term does to a person with a propensity to abuse drugs? What do you think criminalizing drugs actually accomplishes besides providing you with some arbitrary moral satisfaction?

  8. #118
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Cocaine itself doesn't make people commit those crimes described (assault and stealing) or make them lie. The inability to get cocaine easily does. If some smokers were dying for a nicotine fix, they'd do the same stuff.

    For the most part, cocaine just makes people talk too damned much and grind their teeth.
    Perhaps I'm misinformed, but everything I have read suggests your comparison of nicotine addiction to cocaine addiction is inaccurate. Someone smoking 20 years can kick the habit while a cocaine user of 20 years will be significantly scarred from their long-term experience.

  9. #119
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,717

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Cocaine itself doesn't make people commit those crimes described (assault and stealing) or make them lie. The inability to get cocaine easily does. If some smokers were dying for a nicotine fix, they'd do the same stuff.
    I disagree. People on cocaine are chasing a high. People using nicotine have a completely different type of addiction. People who quit cigarettes do not go into withdrawals that can kill them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    For the most part, cocaine just makes people talk too damned much and grind their teeth.
    I guess you have never seen someone pull a knife on someone else because they would not give back a crack pipe? Never seen that happen with a cigarette, ever.

  10. #120
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Ummmmm, have you ever seen a baby that suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome or a baby that suffers from fatally low birth weights because of cigarettes? All drugs have negative side-effects. That you cannot appreciate this fact merely demonstrates your narrow-mindedness and emotional bias against pragmatic solutions.



    Think rationally. Why do you think crack (not regular cocaine) ravages communities? Because criminalizing its sale creates an unregulated black market and discourages addicts from seeking help. Do you honestly think it serves a relevant purpose to jail non-violent drug users? Can you appreciate what a jail term does to a person with a propensity to abuse drugs? What do you think criminalizing drugs actually accomplishes besides providing you with some arbitrary moral satisfaction?
    I agree with what you are saying here, but crack is actually one if the worst drugs, I would rank it second to heroin as a deteriorating and destroying drug, third I would rank methamphetamine. Those are drugs that actually ruins a community, because of their highly addictive effects and its deteriorating effect on the body and mind. Making them legal should be done in a process where you rather medicate these addicts with these drugs like they do in the Netherlands(heroin). Many of the worst effects of these drugs come because its illegal. What I find strange is that crack and meth is almost non-existent in Europe, whereas heroine is the worst problem, and clearly the worst problem.. A second place would go to a drug far longer down on the damage chain like for perhaps ecstasy or cocaine.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •