View Poll Results: Is GPS vehicle tracking invading privacy?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 46.15%
  • No

    7 53.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Sorry to have a spin-off from the other GPS thread but this came to mind. If it were possible to do a GPS track of all vehicles at a crime scene how would this affect your view on invasion of privacy. I personally think it would be great if this were in practice. How do you feel?

  2. #2
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Sorry to have a spin-off from the other GPS thread but this came to mind. If it were possible to do a GPS track of all vehicles at a crime scene how would this affect your view on invasion of privacy. I personally think it would be great if this were in practice. How do you feel?
    Do you believe the governemt should be able to locate your car (and, by extention, you) at any given moment?

    If you do not, then you should answer 'no' to the poll.

  3. #3
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-08-16 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    In light of the warrantless wiretaps of recent news, we all should realize, if you have a cell phone the government is able to do this. The latest cell phones all have GPS tracking built in. How hard do you think it would be for them to get the records from the phone companies?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Do you believe the governemt should be able to locate your car (and, by extention, you) at any given moment?

    If you do not, then you should answer 'no' to the poll.
    I have nothing to hide. Besides if it helps track some of those human monster out there kidnapping young children all the better.

  5. #5
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    In light of the warrantless wiretaps of recent news, we all should realize, if you have a cell phone the government is able to do this. The latest cell phones all have GPS tracking built in. How hard do you think it would be for them to get the records from the phone companies?
    I don't think its a big deal for the government to be able to tap your phone for 3 or 5 or maybe even 15 days before it needs to get a warrant.

    After all, if you have nothing to hide, what's the big deal?

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    I have nothing to hide. Besides if it helps track some of those human monster out there kidnapping young children all the better.
    If you believe that you would feel safer with giving the government permission to track your vehicles, or better yet you and your children, by all means I believe you have the right to submit yourself to their tracking devices. But they should not have the authority to force people into being "trackable".
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  7. #7
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,252

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    GPS and RFID tracking should explicitly be forbidden from the government.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,230

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    If you believe that you would feel safer with giving the government permission to track your vehicles, or better yet you and your children, by all means I believe you have the right to submit yourself to their tracking devices. But they should not have the authority to force people into being "trackable".
    Your papers please......

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Your papers please......
    Its one thing to control entry into our country, its another to track us while living here.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,230

    Re: Should GPS be installed in all vehicles to help solve crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Its one thing to control entry into our country, its another to track us while living here.
    I was making a reference to Nazi Germany ala a stereotype in many WWII films not passports so to say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •