View Poll Results: Should tracking devices be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,its a great way to raise revenue.

    1 1.56%
  • mileage taxes is a great idea but no GPS

    0 0%
  • No

    61 95.31%
  • maybe/I do not know

    2 3.13%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 92

Thread: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The government controls infrastructure specifically BECAUSE it isn't profitable...not the other way around.
    What you're telling me is that the cost of the street is greater than the profit of the 10 businesses on that street. The street is a drain on the system.

    Solutions include doing something to increase the businessís profits so that they can pay the maintenance cost of the street (this rules out increasing taxes), or the street needs to be allowed to fall into disrepair until the property value is low enough to attract an investor who can turn that block around.

  2. #62
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What you're telling me is that the cost of the street is greater than the profit of the 10 businesses on that street. The street is a drain on the system.
    No, I'm saying that none of the businesses will want to pony up his share of the cost, when there are nine other suckers who can pay for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Solutions include doing something to increase the businessís profits so that they can pay the maintenance cost of the street (this rules out increasing taxes),
    What did you have in mind? If I own one of those ten businesses, it doesn't matter if I'm earning $100K or $200K per year. There are still nine other suckers who can pay for the street.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    or the street needs to be allowed to fall into disrepair until the property value is low enough to attract an investor who can turn that block around.
    Ya that's a wonderful idea. It's been tried in just about every African nation, with marvelous results.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No, I'm saying that none of the businesses will want to pony up his share of the cost, when there are nine other suckers who can pay for it.
    Then this is an issue of enforcing existing IRS regulation. No additional projects are needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What did you have in mind? If I own one of those ten businesses, it doesn't matter if I'm earning $100K or $200K per year. There are still nine other suckers who can pay for the street.
    Is this response accounting for my inaccurate understanding of your argument, or is this a counter to my argument which was based on a false premise, and is therefore also a an argument based on a false premise?

    Assuming the former, you have made it clear that this is an enforcement issue, so the solution I would propose is a tried and true conservative solution: enforce the existing laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Ya that's a wonderful idea. It's been tried in just about every African nation, with marvelous results.
    Adopt-a-highway programs which gives supporters easement rights to advertise is a wonderful idea. That fact that this is not standard practice and hence our roads suffer for it only serves to support my argument, not your argument.

  4. #64
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then this is an issue of enforcing existing IRS regulation. No additional projects are needed.



    Is this response accounting for my inaccurate understanding of your argument, or is this a counter to my argument which was based on a false premise, and is therefore also a an argument based on a false premise?

    Assuming the former, you have made it clear that this is an enforcement issue, so the solution I would propose is a tried and true conservative solution: enforce the existing laws.
    What existing laws are you referring to? There aren't any existing laws requiring businesses to pay for nearby infrastructure. That's what taxes are for. I really have no idea what you're proposing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Adopt-a-highway programs which gives supporters easement rights to advertise is a wonderful idea. That fact that this is not standard practice and hence our roads suffer for it only serves to support my argument, not your argument.
    Adopt-a-highway programs generally involve picking up trash near the road, not the full-scale maintenance of the road. That would be too expensive. Even so, did you ever notice that most of the sponsors are volunteer/community organizations rather than businesses? The reason it isn't "standard practice" has nothing to do with government regulations, it has to do with the fact that it simply isn't profitable for private businesses to pay to fix potholes in exchange for a little green sign with their name on it.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What existing laws are you referring to? There aren't any existing laws requiring businesses to pay for nearby infrastructure. That's what taxes are for. I really have no idea what you're proposing.
    I won't insult your intelligence by pretending you're unaware of "property value" or that taxes are based on property value. Instead, I choose to acknowledge that I don't understand your confusion and look to your next post to make that clearer.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Adopt-a-highway programs generally involve picking up trash near the road, not the full-scale maintenance of the road. That would be too expensive. Even so, did you ever notice that most of the sponsors are volunteer/community organizations rather than businesses? The reason it isn't "standard practice" has nothing to do with government regulations, it has to do with the fact that it simply isn't profitable for private businesses to pay to fix potholes in exchange for a little green sign with their name on it.
    It hasnít been made profitable, we agree.

    Imo adopt-a-highway programs should be made profitable, be it via increased tax write-offs as a 501c3, easement rights or similar.

    I acknowledge the fact that this cannot work everywhere, but I support a reasonable tax to maintain roads.

    The problem I see is not that taxes are levied to maintain the roads, but that the government inflates the price far beyond where it actually sould be to perform the same maintenance on the same road.

    This is where privatization comes in, imo. The government should use the tax money to hire a private firm to maintenance the road. These should never be no-bid contracts, as it is bidding which makes privatization a viable and superior option.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-02-09 at 10:03 PM.

  6. #66
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What existing laws are you referring to? There aren't any existing laws requiring businesses to pay for nearby infrastructure. That's what taxes are for. I really have no idea what you're proposing.
    Depends on the city I guess, my city has some infrastructure requirements built into the code process, like drainage ponds, sidewalks, etc. I don't know of anything federal or state though.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #67
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I won't insult your intelligence by pretending you're unaware of "property value" or that taxes are based on property value. Instead, I choose to acknowledge that I don't understand your confusion and look to your next post to make that clearer.
    Exactly. The government extracts taxes and spends it on highway infrastructure. I thought you were talking about the private sector financing it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    It hasnít been made profitable, we agree.

    Imo adopt-a-highway programs should be made profitable, be it via increased tax write-offs as a 501c3, easement rights or similar.
    They still wouldn't be profitable unless you allowed businesses to write off 100% or more of what they spent, thus denying tax dollars to everything else the government does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I acknowledge the fact that this cannot work everywhere, but I support a reasonable tax to maintain roads.
    Good. That is exactly what I'm talking about. A tax to fix our infrastructure (which of course can be supplemented by voluntary contributions from anyone). The most economically sensible tax would be a gasoline tax.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The problem I see is not that taxes are levied to maintain the roads, but that the government inflates the price far beyond where it actually sould be to perform the same maintenance on the same road.
    That is an unfortunate consequence of most things the government does, but is not necessarily a sufficient reason not to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    This is where privatization comes in, imo. The government should use the tax money to hire a private firm to maintenance the road. These should never be no-bid contracts, as it is bidding which makes privatization a viable and superior option.
    Then I don't really think we have a disagreement other than semantics. I'm not at all opposed to the government contracting out infrastructure-repair to private companies. I thought you were referring to actually having private entities fund and oversee the projects themselves.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #68
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    idea Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Having to install GPS is a serious invasion of privacy. The Idea that some government agency could check on my movements for no reason is pure
    Bull sh*t. I don't break the law. It would be like everyone being forced to wear an ankle bracelet all the time. No one needs to know what I am doing or where or when I go somewhere. I don't have a criminal record and don't want the government treating me like a criminal. It is almost like they want to turn the USA in Communist China.
    Last edited by dragonslayer; 01-03-09 at 01:12 AM.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer View Post
    Having to install GPS is a serious invasion of privacy. The Idea that some government agency could check on my movements for no reason is pure
    Bull sh*t. I don't break the law. It would be like everyone being forced to wear an ankle bracelet all the time. No one needs to know what I am doing or where or when I go somewhere. I don't have a criminal record and don't want the government treating me like a criminal. It is almost like they want to turn the USA in Communist China.
    Sounds like you have something to hide....

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Exactly. The government extracts taxes and spends it on highway infrastructure. I thought you were talking about the private sector financing it...

    They still wouldn't be profitable unless you allowed businesses to write off 100% or more of what they spent, thus denying tax dollars to everything else the government does.

    Good. That is exactly what I'm talking about. A tax to fix our infrastructure (which of course can be supplemented by voluntary contributions from anyone). The most economically sensible tax would be a gasoline tax.

    That is an unfortunate consequence of most things the government does, but is not necessarily a sufficient reason not to do it.

    Then I don't really think we have a disagreement other than semantics. I'm not at all opposed to the government contracting out infrastructure-repair to private companies. I thought you were referring to actually having private entities fund and oversee the projects themselves.
    I'm one conservative that hasn't been shown why more taxes are needed. I haven't seen any data either way. I don't know the problem which is said to exist, I haven't seen estimates on the cost of repairs, nor have I seen the proposed actions Obama would like to make.

    I haven't seen any real information on these new infrastructure projects Obama is looking to fund, only snippet of articles and various opinions from talking heads here and there; nothing really substantive.

    Most importantly, I haven't seen the estimated profit the economy will make through these projects.

    When you tell me that infrastructure is not profitable, that means the economy will not come out of the recession nor grow if these projects are implemented, so there's no point to carrying those plans out.

    If the economy will grow due to new infrastructure, then someone's making a profit, and I would very much appreciate it if you or anyone else in the know could put your finger on exactly who would stand to make exactly how much.

    As a conservative I am not opposed to increased taxes when those taxes are in fact needed, but I still don't think a gas tax is the way to go. A gas tax will reduce gas consumption, which will in turn lower tax revenue, defeating the point of the tax.

    Typically, the best way to increase tax revenue is to lower tax rates, so increasing any tax rate in the name of needing more money is counter intuitive.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •