View Poll Results: Should tracking devices be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,its a great way to raise revenue.

    1 1.56%
  • mileage taxes is a great idea but no GPS

    0 0%
  • No

    61 95.31%
  • maybe/I do not know

    2 3.13%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 92

Thread: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    No point having jobs if your country stinks and is ston age like. Say 50 years from now, all of China is connected with super meglev, super metroes in the cities, they have had urban renewal making cities in Europe and the US look like relics of the past, they have spent huge amounts on space research and manned the moon and several planets, all their energy is renewable or nuclear, all their cars and small aircraft are electric and so fourth..

    Then we are in the west the same as we are now, with minimal progress, driving the same cars, just slightly changed, having no urban renewal, rather decline, taking old iron trains on rusty railways, no public transport and have finally managed to put another few men on the moon with help of the Chinese, our oil is running out and we only produce 10% of whats needed with renewbles while spending enourmous sums to find more oil, we wage wars in desperation because the military is now the only thing that keeps our economies going and so on and so on..

    Thats what happens if we only think profit, I promise you that. The decline of the west will come because of capitalism and profit merging, lack of ambitions, lack of huge prestige projects, lack of government investments and so on... Companies only look for profits.
    Since Capitalism brings the improvements you're looking for, and socialism (which is what subsidy is) doesn't, never has and never will, I have no idea why your objecting to my argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    What? Are you MAD? Thats just not true, except for in badly managed economies with no fiscal responsibility, like say the US, the UK and Italy.
    Um, we're in the US and talking about the US economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    True, just look at the UK and somewhat the US as well. Debt isnt all those things if countries do not take on TOO MUCH debt.
    The idea is to have no debt of any kind. Businesses that cannot turn a profit are a drain on the system and should be allowed to fail.

    See, if the monorail is not turning a profit, this means that no other business that the monorail delivers people to is receiving any benefit at all. It means that no individual’s cost of travel has gone down, or that they can now make more money with the same amount of time.

    If the general public is receiving no benefit, then there is no need for the system to exist.


    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Please point me to the post where I said that. I didnt.. I just think all economies would react well to some subsidies and huge government projects. Like for example China is doing so well.. They hardly built the tree georges dam out of love for profit, rather they built of for need and the benefit of their society. Georges dam is just one great example of Chinese willingness to think different. Capitalism as it is, is failing btw...
    I included the word "apparently" precisely so that you wouldn't assume I was quoting you or claiming that you made that argument directly.

    Your argument gave only 2 options and made a choice between those 2. If you know that there are other valid options then leaving those options out is highly suspicious. Therefore, you either didn't know about the other options or you being dishonest. I chose to give your character credit and assumed you simply didn't know of the other options.

    It seems that you are correcting me, that you did know and were making a dishonest argument. If that's the case please say so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Another example is state funded meglev trains being built and running on the Chinese east coast.
    I need to know 3 things:
    1. What is the monorail's annual cost to operate?
    2. How many passengers does it carry annually?
    3. What is the fair?
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-31-08 at 04:37 PM.

  2. #42
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Nope, can't afford that either.
    Well afford it or not, we have to spend money on one or the other. I'd rather spend it on improving our infrastructure and public transit instead of giving it to petrocrats.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Well afford it or not, we have to spend money on one or the other. I'd rather spend it on improving our infrastructure and public transit instead of giving it to petrocrats.
    If those are our only 2 options on how to spend the money, then since the money will be wasted either way, I'd rather let the American public keep it.

    I don’t understand how ‘the left’ can complain about people not being able to afford healthcare when it’s ‘the left’ who keeps taking money out of their income to waste either on doomed public works or thrown away overseas.

    The problem is caused by government spending; therefore more government spending is the solution? That doesn’t follow, and is why I’m a Conservative.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-31-08 at 07:14 PM.

  4. #44
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,790

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    why GPS?

    Give the odometer the ability to broadcast information and positioning isn't even required.....one less thing to be abused

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    why GPS?

    Give the odometer the ability to broadcast information and positioning isn't even required.....one less thing to be abused
    Very true, a simple download from the car's computer would do, even.

    The fact that they positioning is highly suspicious, especially given all the unintended data which results from positioning data.

  6. #46
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Truckers currently pay mileage tax.
    Look up IFTA if you are interested.
    It's all done on paper with drivers marking their mileage down as they cross state lines.
    It works fine.
    No reason it wouldn't work for everyone else. Especially since most people will only have mileage in one state.

  7. #47
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    We have a fascination with driving our own asses places. Also, I've met several people from Europe whom are well surprised at how seriously Americans take their traffic laws. We stop for pedestrians and such, and they claim that doesn't happen oft where they're from (though I've known a disproportionately large number of Germans...maybe they're just crazy there). We don't have a lot in the ways of public transport, maybe that should change. But we have cars and roads and people seem to be able to handle it; so let them take care of themselves.
    I know when we visited Italy they always told us not to look at drivers when crossing the road, they assume you have seen them and take the right of way.

  8. #48
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Why do you think that infrastructure investment will fail? The Interstate Highway System worked out pretty well. What is your alternative? Let our highways, bridges, levies, and power grids decay into a state of total disrepair?

    Several reasons.
    The first of which is that about half of economists believe that FDRs government programs actually DELAYED the depression instead of shortening it.
    The next is even if you believe his programs helped to end the depression we were building NEW infrastructure that would be used to promote growth via faster transit, etc. Fast forward to now and Obama isn't going to build NEW infrastructure but repair existing infrastructure. Since that is already in place and working we can't expect to see any increased productivity because of repairs.
    FDR's repeal of the 18th amendment did more to promote economic rebound than anything else. Obama should legalize MaryJ. That will help get the country back in economic shape.

    Just think we could charge Taco Bell a windfall profits tax.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,370

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well, we don't agree because supporting Obama™ is not supporting the man alone, but the entire administration, party ideals, and all related policies.
    The point goes beyond that - unless the US govt system is completely different from any other democratically elected govt in the world?

    My point is that some processes and policies have a "rollover" - some policies may go beyond one political party and there is development rather than re-invention after a Govt is replaced by another.

    Perhaps a more precise way for me to have worded my claim would have been "anyone who voted Democrat has no right to complain".

    I assumed that since you lived in a democratic country you might understand the unspoken concept "the King is dead" = "long live the king" would have automatically been common knowledge. It appears that I was mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    This is nothing more than a continuation of previous policies and long term goals, not Change® at all.
    Which is sort of my point. When one administration changes I highly doubt that everything the previous administration did was absolute rubbish or is abandoned - some elements continue beyond the lifetime of left or right, conservative or centrist or liberal etc.

    Anyhow, thanks for the discussion.

  10. #50
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If those are our only 2 options on how to spend the money, then since the money will be wasted either way, I'd rather let the American public keep it.
    Well that is just foolish. Not only is our reliance on oil bad for our economy (due to the negative effect on our balance of payments), it is also bad for our environment and national security.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I don’t understand how ‘the left’ can complain about people not being able to afford healthcare when it’s ‘the left’ who keeps taking money out of their income to waste either on doomed public works or thrown away overseas.
    We could save a lot of money overseas with one simple act: Withdraw from Iraq. Health care is irrelevant to this debate; there is no reason we can't spend money on both health care and our infrastructure. And the people who would be receiving government health care are, for the most part, not the same people who would be paying the bulk of the taxes on infrastructure improvements, so your logic about "taking money out of their income" is flawed.

    Once again I've yet to see you present any explanation as to why public works projects are "doomed," or present any alternative to fixing our infrastructure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The problem is caused by government spending; therefore more government spending is the solution? That doesn’t follow, and is why I’m a Conservative.
    Well personally I'm practical enough to see that it is in our nation's economic interests to have a functioning infrastructure system that can move people and freight from Point A to Point B quickly and cheaply, and that the private sector simply cannot do that on its own. That's why I support infrastructure improvements, and is why I'm a liberal. (Not to say that rational conservatives can't support that as well.)
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-01-09 at 05:41 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •