View Poll Results: Should tracking devices be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,its a great way to raise revenue.

    1 1.56%
  • mileage taxes is a great idea but no GPS

    0 0%
  • No

    61 95.31%
  • maybe/I do not know

    2 3.13%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92

Thread: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

  1. #11
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Mileage taxes will be used to tax people out of larger vehicles they like to drive.
    Higher tax rates will be charged for heavier vehicles.
    The government in their effort to prevent people from realizing they are paying taxes, (by charging it on bulk gasoline, instead of directly to the consumer) have prevented themselves from using their taxing power to social engineer people. They have now decided that it's more important for people to know it's going to cost them more to drive gas guzzling vehicles than it is to conceal the taxation.
    That being said, IF the mileage tax replaced the gas tax, and IF the mileage tax was charged to everyone at the same rate, including bicycles and walkers that use the road, and IF it's charged to each person riding a bus, I would support it.

    NEVER, NEVER GPS except for public government run buses, to determine the charge to the rider.

  2. #12
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Mileage taxes will be used to tax people out of larger vehicles they like to drive.
    It isn't always about like, in my area higher vehicles like trucks are almost a requirement because of flooding, not only that, outside of my city is almost exclusively farming, try doing that in a Prius, I would rather drive a two-seater or similar performance/fun car, but my hobby is drums, can't fit that in a smaller vehicle, a mileage tax would pretty much kill my area.
    Higher tax rates will be charged for heavier vehicles.
    Seems like it would be unavoidable.
    The government in their effort to prevent people from realizing they are paying taxes, (by charging it on bulk gasoline, instead of directly to the consumer) have prevented themselves from using their taxing power to social engineer people. They have now decided that it's more important for people to know it's going to cost them more to drive gas guzzling vehicles than it is to conceal the taxation.
    I think that is part of it.
    That being said, IF the mileage tax replaced the gas tax, and IF the mileage tax was charged to everyone at the same rate, including bicycles and walkers that use the road, and IF it's charged to each person riding a bus, I would support it.
    I can't support it under any conditions, it's the principle of more taxes to cover government mismanagement of their existing revenues, and the principle of smaller government that forms my particular opinion, plus, I am tired of these elected representatives having the opinion that we work for them.
    NEVER, NEVER GPS except for public government run buses, to determine the charge to the rider.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should tracking devices be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes?


    Albany Democrat Herald: Archived Articles
    A year ago, the Oregon Department of Transportation announced it had demonstrated that a new way to pay for roads — via a mileage tax and satellite technology — could work.

    Now Gov. Ted Kulongoski says he’d like the legislature to take the next step.

    As part of a transportation-related bill he has filed for the 2009 legislative session, the governor says he plans to recommend “a path to transition away from the gas tax as the central funding source for transportation.”

    What that means is explained on the governor’s website:

    “As Oregonians drive less and demand more fuel-efficient vehicles, it is increasingly important that the state find a new way, other than the gas tax, to finance our transportation system.”

    According to the policies he has outlined online, Kulongoski proposes to continue the work of the special task force that came up with and tested the idea of a mileage tax to replace the gas tax.

    The governor wants the task force “to partner with auto manufacturers to refine technology that would enable Oregonians to pay for the transportation system based on how many miles they drive.”
    Obama is proposing massive infrastructure 'investment' while we're in a depression, so the money to pay for these programs, despite the fact that they will fail, has to come from somewhere.

    No one who voted for Obama has the moral authority to bitch about this. This is what you supported when you supported Obama.

    Punishing private transportation will encourage the use of the proposed public transportation. The plan will fail in the long run because the government can't make a return on an investment.

    Bearly enough money to ride a buss to work....that’s the "change" we weed
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-30-08 at 02:34 PM.

  4. #14
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    A government claiming they want to track your mileage by installing a GPS in your car is such a transparent attempt at spying its laughable. Why the hell wouldn't you just the the odometer, which all cars already have, is more reliable and can't be used to horribly abuse your privacy?

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    A government claiming they want to track your mileage by installing a GPS in your car is such a transparent attempt at spying its laughable. Why the hell wouldn't you just the the odometer, which all cars already have, is more reliable and can't be used to horribly abuse your privacy?
    Exactly right.

    The mileage is noted on the bill of sale, so all you need to do is bring the vehicle with you, or the gov could set up a way for a technician to certify the mileage and produce a certificate you could bring in when you do your taxes.

    No GPS required.

    And I like how the Gov used private industry, like OnStar, to develop the technology before they tried to introduce this intention.

  6. #16
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Obama is proposing massive infrastructure 'investment' while we're in a depression, so the money to pay for these programs, despite the fact that they will fail, has to come from somewhere.
    Why do you think that infrastructure investment will fail? The Interstate Highway System worked out pretty well. What is your alternative? Let our highways, bridges, levies, and power grids decay into a state of total disrepair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Punishing private transportation will encourage the use of the proposed public transportation.
    That's the idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The plan will fail in the long run because the government can't make a return on an investment.
    You just said that it will encourage the use of public transportation. Which is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Bearly enough money to ride a buss to work....that’s the "change" we weed
    Actually it is. We need much better bus systems and metro systems in our urban areas. We need airports and trains that don't suck. And we need to bring our power grid and highways into the 21st century.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #17
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Actually it is. We need much better bus systems and metro systems in our urban areas. We need airports and trains that don't suck. And we need to bring our power grid and highways into the 21st century.
    The 600 billion and counting that you spent in Iraq could have done all that.

    Which cities except New York in the US actually have a metro system, tram system and a bus system?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  8. #18
    Bank killer. Jessica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The (soon-to-be) Divided States of Amerika.
    Last Seen
    05-22-11 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    878

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    This is part of the VeriChip technology, and imminently evil.
    Taxes are wrong, and more taxes do not make it right.

  9. #19
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I'd rather have a gasoline tax. It would be an easier, less intrusive, more efficient, more environmental way of charging user fees for the roads. And it would have the added benefit of improving our national security.
    exactly.

    ...
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should GPS be installed inside vehicles in order to charge mileage taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Why do you think that infrastructure investment will fail? The Interstate Highway System worked out pretty well. What is your alternative? Let our highways, bridges, levies, and power grids decay into a state of total disrepair?
    We are not discussing current infrastructure.

    With the exception of NY, maybe SF, public transit fails every time it's tried. Just look at the monorail project, for example.

    The reason it fails is because bureaucratic decisions are based on politics, NOT making a profit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That's the idea.
    You admit that we don't need the tax to prevent...what did you say..."let our highways, bridges, levies, and power grids decay into a state of total disrepair"...this is social engineering, not taxation for a valid expense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You just said that it will encourage the use of public transportation. Which is it?
    Encourage =/= success.

    They will try, and they will fail. Easy to understand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Actually it is. We need much better bus systems and metro systems in our urban areas. We need airports and trains that don't suck. And we need to bring our power grid and highways into the 21st century.
    I was referring to poverty via over taxation, and you agreed.

    The reason why the government has to tax us to fund the project is, again, because bureaucrats can't make it turn a profit. Since the project can't turn a profit big bro comes to the tax payer to bail itself out.

    This is bad business and further evidence why government should remain small.

    I agree that there needs to be improved public transit, but this is not the way to get it.

    Public transit in general fails, which is why real businessmen don't step in and turn a profit. Little old ladies just don't have the money to pay what the ride actually costs. Obama think he can spend his way out of recession...don't trust him with a credit card, because when the bill comes in the mail he'll think he can pay off that bill by buying more stuff with it.

    Perris Hilton makes more sense than the second black president.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-30-08 at 09:23 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •