View Poll Results: Are you smart if you achieve something that is dumb & stupid with clever & smart meth

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • smart

    5 55.56%
  • stupid

    4 44.44%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Is this smart or stupid?

  1. #21
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If it's stupid, but it works, it wasn't stupid.
    Many things that work are still stupid. A lot of things can be MUCH better, but if we are satisfied with stupid things that work then we will never get anywhere.
    Last edited by Maximus Zeebra; 12-28-08 at 06:49 PM.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #22
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    That just tells a lot more about you. Killing AINT smart. Geez. Arent you typical American or what?
    it's smart to kill someone who's trying to kill you. it's smart to kill someone who's a danger to society. it's smart to kill an animal before you eat it. it's smart to kill fleas, roaches, rabid dogs, certain bacteria, babies you don't want, agricultural pests...need I go on? my point was that "killing" in general is not automatically a bad thing, and in certain cases it could even be considered a more worthwhile investment than say, flight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    ITS NOT MY ****ING PERSONAL OPINION THAT KILLING IS STUPID, MOST NORMAL PEOPLE THINK SO.. Wow..
    sometimes. let's not overgeneralize.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Now my anger is just boiling over at you.. I am just going to refrain from answering your next post out of fear that I will get banned when I really take of my gloves and tell you what I think of you, your last post and probably that next post.
    oh please. all I said was that you can't ask people for their opinion on "smart" and "stupid" and then go on to insist that the words be defined by your personal moral beliefs. those words are subjective; to tell someone that weapons are dumb and trying to fly is smart is your opinion--and, imho--quite debatable.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Many things that work are still stupid. A lot of things can be MUCH better, but if we are satisfied with stupid things that work then we will never get anywhere.
    Oh, like this thread, I gotcha.

    What are we talking about anyway?

  4. #24
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra
    Many things that work are still stupid. A lot of things can be MUCH better, but if we are satisfied with stupid things that work then we will never get anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh, like this thread, I gotcha.

    What are we talking about anyway?
    Thanks for bringing this thread to a whole new level of intelligent debate. Thanks for your post bashing. Please don't sink to the level of personal attacks..

    If you don't understand the thread, then why are you here at all?


    Ps. People like you with silly comments angers me.. Thanks a LOT.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  5. #25
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    it's smart to kill someone who's trying to kill you. it's smart to kill someone who's a danger to society. it's smart to kill an animal before you eat it. it's smart to kill fleas, roaches, rabid dogs, certain bacteria, babies you don't want, agricultural pests...need I go on? my point was that "killing" in general is not automatically a bad thing, and in certain cases it could even be considered a more worthwhile investment than say, flight.
    Wow.. Now I just want to ignore you. I am not even going to mention that I think you are a terrible human being for saying these things. Why not be smart and avoid situations where you need to kill someone who is trying to kill you.. Wouldn't that be smarter?


    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    oh please. all I said was that you can't ask people for their opinion on "smart" and "stupid" and then go on to insist that the words be defined by your personal moral beliefs. those words are subjective; to tell someone that weapons are dumb and trying to fly is smart is your opinion--and, imho--quite debatable.
    So you are one of those who can never see the context in favor of petty argumentation and debate. This thread wasn't about my personal moral..

    -I never said weapons are dumb
    -I never asked for opinion about smart and stupid
    -Smart+flying is my opinion yes, you are right about 1 thing at last.


    PS. Actually read the thread next time before you answer it.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Thanks for bringing this thread to a whole new level of intelligent debate. Thanks for your post bashing. Please don't sink to the level of personal attacks..

    If you don't understand the thread, then why are you here at all?


    Ps. People like you with silly comments angers me.. Thanks a LOT.
    That's one way not to answer the question

  7. #27
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Wow.. Now I just want to ignore you. I am not even going to mention that I think you are a terrible human being for saying these things.
    oops.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Why not be smart and avoid situations where you need to kill someone who is trying to kill you.. Wouldn't that be smarter?
    try to outrun a bullet and let me know how it goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    So you are one of those who can never see the context in favor of petty argumentation and debate. This thread wasn't about my personal moral..
    you think atomic bombs are dumb because they destroy human life. that is your personal moral conviction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    -I never said weapons are dumb
    your criterion for "dumb" is "could one day put an end to human life." I assumed this applied to both a-bombs AND h-bombs. silly me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    -I never asked for opinion about smart and stupid
    um, what? the title of your thread, sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    PS. Actually read the thread next time before you answer it.
    oooh, burn.

  8. #28
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    try to outrun a bullet and let me know how it goes.
    Personally I am smart enough to avoid situation where I need to outrun bullets or kill someone to avoid being killed. But thats just me I guess(I can preemptive your next strike here), only me and no other humans.

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    you think atomic bombs are dumb because they destroy human life. that is your personal moral conviction.
    Now finally you quote me on something I actually said. And yes I think the creation of a device that can kill our entire species is pretty dumb. Did I mention that it has a countdown timer? No one actually knows when it will go off, but eventually and most likely it will. But thats a whole other debate. Lets celebrate the 60th anniversary of the nuclear bomb at least, and then think back to all the good times we had with blades and gunpowder in various forms.

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    your criterion for "dumb" is "could one day put an end to human life." I assumed this applied to both a-bombs AND h-bombs. silly me.
    Yep, it would be pretty dumb to exterminate ourselves.



    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    um, what? the title of your thread, sir.
    The title implies yo have to read the first post to be able to answer is THIS smart or stupid. You cant know what this refers to without reading the first post.


    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    oooh, burn.
    Seriously, do it. I challenge you to it. "This" refers to a very philosophical question which is obviously badly described in the first thread judging from all the misunderstandings in the thread.


    I will try to say ask it in simpler way...
    1. The main question is "Are you smart or stupid if you achieve something that is dumb & stupid with clever & smart methods".
    2. To make this a meaningful question you have to think of the "goal/achievement" as DEFINITELY stupid, to do this you can associate it with an experience or something you find stupid.
    3. You have to imagine a situation where the "final goal/achievement" is DEFINITELY stupid, but where the methods of achieving that goal is DEFINITELY smart and clever.
    4. You have to not think of an actual scenario, but a hypothetical scenario where 1&2&3 are definite factors, but where an "association" is optional to grasp the question asked in 1.
    5. You have to remember that the question doesn't refer to any specific case or actual scenario, but that it refers to a hypothetical and philosophical question.
    6. Then you can go ahead and answer the question.


    My bad the first thread was a bad description. Can a moderator please delete it and insert instead the description above? 1-6.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #29
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Are you smart or dumb if you achieve something that is dumb & stupid with clever & smart methods?
    Lets say the "goal" is something completely stupid that only a moron would think about, but the "methods" for achieving it is enormously clever and smart..
    Is the person then dumb for failing to realize that the result is dumb or is he smart for actually achieving it in a smart and clever way?


    ONLY two options.Feel free to debate it as much as you want tho, but don't complain about the options, choose one of them.
    Hahahahaha How can anyone take this seriously and even reply to it. It is fun though.

  10. #30
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 02:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    fyi Re: Is this smart or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Are you smart or dumb if you achieve something that is dumb & stupid with clever & smart methods?....
    It would be STUPID, especially if it was done with an action of government.

    Want to see the ULTIMATE classic example to prove it?

    I would expect all of you to have heard of Milton Friedman, one of America's great champions of liberty and the author of the book, Free to Choose.

    On a web site several years ago, I read that in the 1940's, he had a position in the Roosevelt administration that submitted ideas to generate more revenue to finance WWII. It has been said that Friedman was the inventor of tax withholding.

    Was it a clever idea to generate revenue? Of course. But was it a clever idea to improve the future of a free America? Absolutely not. And our government is much bigger and badder because of it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •