View Poll Results: Are you a non-Christian and still celebrate Christmas?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- Why?

    26 86.67%
  • No - Why?

    2 6.67%
  • Other

    2 6.67%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

  1. #81
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I said the date December 25 was chosen as the date for Christmas to help the transition from paganism to Christianity. What Christians celebrate on Christmas is indeed a Christian holiday now. Well, now it's more of a none religious celebration of giving then a Christian holiday but what Christians celebrate still holds true for them.
    Nah, not really. It was identified as the date of birth of Christ by various people and therefor naturally accepted as a date of celebration of Christmas by a great majority. Its not like Romans celebrated Christmas. Christmas hasn't really been celebrated for THAT long.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #82
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Nah, not really. It was identified as the date of birth of Christ by various people and therefor naturally accepted as a date of celebration of Christmas by a great majority.
    The first Council of Nicea were the one's to choose the December 25th date. If you have evidence to support that they chose the date for reasons other then to take over the pagan religious holidays that competed with Christianity in Rome I would be glad to hear it.

    It was far from supported by the great majority at it's creation. It took centuries for Christmas to be accepted and celebrated by the great majority. It wasn't really a massive celebrated holiday until after Charlemagne at this point the celebration.

    The Church very heavily relies on the idea that if you say something enough times and let enough time pass (usually centuries) then it will be come accepted as fact. Who are we to question something that has been said is true for hundreds of years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Its not like Romans celebrated Christmas. Christmas hasn't really been celebrated for THAT long.
    Of course they didn't celebrate Christmas. They celebrated their own Holidays on the same day or time as Christmas before Christmas even existed.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 12-28-08 at 02:48 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  3. #83
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you did. I just wanted to specify for other members of this thread so they don't misunderstand that as well.
    Gotcha. THanks.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #84
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    So It's ok to distort facts to back Christianity though? Did I ever say Christmas isn't a Christian holiday?

    I said the date December 25 was chosen as the date for Christmas to help the transition from paganism to Christianity. What Christians celebrate on Christmas is indeed a Christian holiday now. Well, now it's more of a none religious celebration of giving then a Christian holiday but what Christians celebrate still holds true for them.
    You say this, but the fact that it isn't true kind of dilutes your point.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #85
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You say this, but the fact that it isn't true kind of dilutes your point.
    If you are referring to the pagan transition remark, saying "it's not true" doesn't make it not true. You would need to provide some evidence to back your claim.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 12-28-08 at 09:13 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  6. #86
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    If you are referring to the pagan transition remark, saying "it's not true" doesn't make it not true. You would need to provide some evidence to back your claim.
    Actually, those who are making the claim are the ones who need to provide the proof. And simply stating that it is near the date of a certain pagan celebration does not suffice.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #87
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    The first Council of Nicea were the one's to choose the December 25th date. If you have evidence to support that they chose the date for reasons other then to take over the pagan religious holidays that competed with Christianity in Rome I would be glad to hear it.

    It was far from supported by the great majority at it's creation. It took centuries for Christmas to be accepted and celebrated by the great majority. It wasn't really a massive celebrated holiday until after Charlemagne at this point the celebration.

    The Church very heavily relies on the idea that if you say something enough times and let enough time pass (usually centuries) then it will be come accepted as fact. Who are we to question something that has been said is true for hundreds of years?



    Of course they didn't celebrate Christmas. They celebrated their own Holidays on the same day or time as Christmas before Christmas even existed.
    I'm unable to find a reference supporting your claim of the Council of Nicea creating the tradition of Christ's Mass on December 25th. Can you help me?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •