View Poll Results: Are you a non-Christian and still celebrate Christmas?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- Why?

    26 86.67%
  • No - Why?

    2 6.67%
  • Other

    2 6.67%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 87

Thread: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

  1. #41
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    The Brittanica post does not offer evidence of a Dec 25th date, but rather explains one possible origin of that date, an origin that is devoid of supporting evidence.
    I sure havent seen any evidence suggesting otherwise from you.. Luke 2 doesnt say anything about a time of year. 2:8 just indicate some shepherds were out with a flock of animals on the lands. That doesnt indicate spring in Israel at all.

    What the Britannica article does say is that 25th of December is "widely accepted" as the date of birth of Jesus, dating back to the year 221 after Julius Africanus had studied the event and come up with the date. I am certain that he could predict it far better than some person nowadays could. Since it has been confirmed by many people and have been widely accepted ever since.

    All this doesnt change the fact that Christmas is a celebration of Jesus.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #42
    Student Makedde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tangled In Jon's Carpet Of Chest Hair
    Last Seen
    06-05-09 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    219

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    IMO, Xmas cannot be a religious holiday. Xmas is meant to be the day that Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus, yet we know that Jesus was not born on December 25, so really, there is nothing religious about the day at all.

    I give gifts and receive them, I do not go to church or do any religious stuff, though.

  3. #43
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I sure havent seen any evidence suggesting otherwise from you.. Luke 2 doesnt say anything about a time of year. 2:8 just indicate some shepherds were out with a flock of animals on the lands. That doesnt indicate spring in Israel at all.
    Yes, yes it does. Keeping the sheep out in the field at night is something that shepherds of that time would only do during the spring and summer

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    What the Britannica article does say is that 25th of December is "widely accepted" as the date of birth of Jesus, dating back to the year 221 after Julius Africanus had studied the event and come up with the date. I am certain that he could predict it far better than some person nowadays could. Since it has been confirmed by many people and have been widely accepted ever since.
    Can you show me one shred of evidence supporting that? Can you show me where it has been "confirmed by many people?" I won't hold my breath....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    All this doesnt change the fact that Christmas is a celebration of Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    The holiday is religious in the abstract, but the practice definitely is not for the majority of Americans, beyond an extra trip to church. The rest of the traditions are pretty devoid of religous significance. Even the religous kernel is off base, as it's pretty well accepted that the Biblical Jesus was born in the Spring.
    And now we're just going in circles.

  4. #44
    Student Makedde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tangled In Jon's Carpet Of Chest Hair
    Last Seen
    06-05-09 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    219

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    All days were created by God, so how can the days be pagan?
    The Pagan religion was around hundreds of years before Christianity, so it is more than likely that December 25 was a Pagan holiday, not a Christian one.

  5. #45
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Yes, yes it does. Keeping the sheep out in the field at night is something that shepherds of that time would only do during the spring and summer
    Nothing in that chapter indicates night, and I have a bible in my hands as we speak, including the new testament(yes I should ditch it in favor of just the old).


    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Can you show me one shred of evidence supporting that? Can you show me where it has been "confirmed by many people?" I won't hold my breath....
    Since its widely believed it cannot just be because of one mans opinion. But Rsiwing was quoting the catholic encyclopedia with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by catholic encyclopedia
    It was a monk of the sixth century, named Dionysius Exiguus (the Little) who fixed our present Christian Era, laying down that Jesus Christ was born on the 25th of December, A. U. C. 753, and commencing the new era from the following year, 754.
    So at least Julianus Africanus wasnt alone in "confirming" the date to the 25th, and I am sure there are many others also. But the fact is that the majority accepts the date to be the 25th, there is absolutely no doubt as to that. I dont see any other date widely celebrated as the birth of Jesus Christ.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #46
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The Pagan religion was around hundreds of years before Christianity, so it is more than likely that December 25 was a Pagan holiday, not a Christian one.
    WAS yes but IS no..

    Christmas -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #47
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Nothing in that chapter indicates night, and I have a bible in my hands as we speak, including the new testament(yes I should ditch it in favor of just the old).
    Errrr..... "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night."


    Linkie


    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Since its widely believed it cannot just be because of one mans opinion.
    THAT is your argument? Seriously?

    I'm going to ask again for you to present even one solitary shred of evidence to support a Dec 25th date, but I'm not holding my breath

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    But Rsiwing was quoting the catholic encyclopedia with this. So at least Julianus Africanus wasnt alone in "confirming" the date to the 25th, and I am sure there are many others also. But the fact is that the majority accepts the date to be the 25th, there is absolutely no doubt as to that. I dont see any other date widely celebrated as the birth of Jesus Christ
    /facepalm

    "Lots of people think so" is not an argument. "I'm sure somebody confirmed it" is not an argument. I must say, this is the saddest excuse for a post I've ever seen from you

  8. #48
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Errrr..... "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night."


    Linkie
    It doesnt say night in the Norwegian version. Anyways thats not proof even if it was at night. Its pure speculation that shepherds only did that at night in springtime, and meaning springtime as in the same as OUR springtime even though its Israel.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    THAT is your argument? Seriously?

    I'm going to ask again for you to present even one solitary shred of evidence to support a Dec 25th date, but I'm not holding my breath

    /facepalm

    "Lots of people think so" is not an argument. "I'm sure somebody confirmed it" is not an argument. I must say, this is the saddest excuse for a post I've ever seen from you
    Now you are just trolling. You are leaving out the most important parts of my post and distorting what I said by misquoting me and claiming what I say is based on something other than what I said.

    Still you haven't provided any proof that says otherwise than that a great majority celebrate the birth of Christ on the 25th of December. Where is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ in spring that you claim it is?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,422
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The easter bunny

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Yes I celebrate it, because my family do, but also because Christmas doesn't have a thing to do w/ Christianity.A strange thing to say , and this is totally false.
    Its OK, IMO, to celebrate it - holiday cheer, Christmas cheer - at the same time... why not...
    As to when Christ was born, no-one knows the exact day, and I do not see how this matters anyway....
    Christianity was a tough sell as it was, so how is a little melding with the so-called Pagans going to hurt anything ??
    I am, at this point in time , an Agnostic.... and no religion...

  10. #50
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Non Christians Celebrating Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    It doesnt say night in the Norwegian version.
    I can't speak for whatever version you have in you have in your hand, but every version I'm seeing on google has the word night in it

    Anyways thats not proof even if it was at night. Its pure speculation that shepherds only did that at night in springtime, and meaning springtime as in the same as OUR springtime even though its Israel.
    What makes you think that it is pure speculation? There is ample historical record of society during those times, and shepherds were not an insignificant portion of that society. Do you have any evidence whatsoever that would indicate anything contrary to what I said, or are you just trying to dismiss my evidence by calling it speculation?

    Now you are just trolling. You are leaving out the most important parts of my post and distorting what I said by misquoting me and claiming what I say is based on something other than what I said.
    I take offense to that accusation and would like you to support it. What did I leave out? What did I misquote?

    Still you haven't provided any proof that says otherwise than that a great majority celebrate the birth of Christ on the 25th of December. Where is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ in spring that you claim it is?
    As I've said before (I'm getting tired of writing that), Christ's birth is celebrated on the 25th, but that is not when it occurred. That date was chosen centuries after the fact, and correlates with pagan celebrations just as the other non-religious rituals of the holiday. I'll ask one more time. Do you have any evidence to support a date of the 25th? 'That's when Christmas is' is not evidence.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •