View Poll Results: Will aliens be hostile or friendly

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friendly

    42 52.50%
  • Hostile

    25 31.25%
  • We are alone

    13 16.25%
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 296

Thread: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    I'm talking about the distance that we can determine the physical properties of planets. Given that we humans are not even close to being able to travel one light year, my point stands.
    What does traveling have to do with anything? I'm talking about observing the universe.

    The fact that we humans cannot travel any significant distance in space means that for all practicle purposes, we are alone in the universe.
    I never stated otherwise. This whole conversation concerns the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

  2. #232
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Not really, our limitations only apply to us, not them..
    I see no reason why we should be the only ones...But this we may never know...and I do believe in the power of man's imagination, but not true aliens....I reject all of the "ETs visiting us", and aliens in our midst.....conspiracy theories..
    I see your point but not sede it.

    The hurdles another oxygen breating intelligent being would have to get here from where ever there is - are the same. Virtually insurmountable. And we're not even getting into the time it would take.

    Even if we could see a livible planet only one light year away, that's almost six trillion miles away. We haven't even sent a manned mission to mars which is only 35 million miles away.

    I'm afraid too many people here have been watching way too much science fiction.

  3. #233
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What does traveling have to do with anything? I'm talking about observing the universe.

    I never stated otherwise. This whole conversation concerns the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

    ...and if you had read my posts, you would have seen that I said there could be other life, but in the distances that we can observe there is none, and that for all practical purposes we are alone.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    ...and if you had read my posts, you would have seen that I said there could be other life, but in the distances that we can observe there is none, and that for all practical purposes we are alone.
    The emboldened portion of your post is an assumption sans evidence.

  5. #235
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    The emboldened portion of your post is an assumption sans evidence.
    Really?
    Can you point to the scientific article that states we have observed life elsewhere or even an inhabitable planet?

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Really?
    Can you point to the scientific article that states we have observed life elsewhere or even an inhabitable planet?
    No, can you point me towards the scientific article which states definitively there is no intelligent forms of life within our observable sphere of the universe?

  7. #237
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No, can you point me towards the scientific article which states definitively there is no intelligent forms of life within our observable sphere of the universe?
    Yes.

    Every scientific observation so far.

  8. #238
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Yes.

    Every scientific observation so far.
    Have you seen a 4 leaf clover with your own eyes? Many have not if you have. I would think that if there was aliens they would be able to be almost as good as invisible to us. And if they could get to us chances are there technology would be good enough to stealthily asses us and never greet us even.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #239
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Have you seen a 4 leaf clover with your own eyes? Many have not if you have. I would think that if there was aliens they would be able to be almost as good as invisible to us. And if they could get to us chances are there technology would be good enough to stealthily asses us and never greet us even.
    Well, that's fine if you want to go off into fantasy and wild speculation, I try to stick with science and logic.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Yes.

    Every scientific observation so far.
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. There is no such article because no one is dumb enough to claim definitively that intelligent is nonexistent within our sphere of the observable universe. The correct answer is that we do not know.

    If I showed you a large box would you be able to claim definitively that there wasn't a baseball inside it? No, you couldn't, because you do not know what's in the box, much the same as we do not know what resides within the vast, vast majority of the observable sphere of the universe.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •