View Poll Results: Will aliens be hostile or friendly

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friendly

    42 52.50%
  • Hostile

    25 31.25%
  • We are alone

    13 16.25%
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 296

Thread: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

  1. #151
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    While it is pretty hard to conceive of an energy based lifeform, using no matter whatsoever, that could maintain its internal order in such a way as to maintain sapience...it's pretty hard to rule it out too, since we're engaging in speculation about things know almost nothing about.

    I'm looking forward to the new exoplanet searches, using new methods to find worlds of Earthlike mass. I expect some exciting (and unexpected) results.

    G


    Light beings... I bet they exist. I can almost see them off my window when I stare at the Sun's reflection on the window. On drugs of course.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post

    I can't wait till humanity creates a "The Hub" that can copy ALL data from your head and implement it into an afterlife program on your deathbed into a giant fully replicated digital world. Then you could even have points in the digi world where they can go and see into the real world and have a tv screen display the dead love one and converse with them.
    A lot of SF stories have been written along those lines. Lots of debate about how you would go about copying the mind, how much of the mind exists in the physical brain and how much is "virtual machine" or metaphysical and intangible. Of course there's the ultimate question, of whether a hypothetical brain-upload running on software would be "the real you" or merely an imitation; that is, whether there would be a continuity of conscience, or a transfer of the soul. I'm strongly inclined to think "not".

    There was a time when the heart was thought to be the recepticle of the soul, and that the soul departed when the heart stopped. Open-heart surgery and heart transplants pretty much KO'd that theory. The idea of the brain being the link between the physical body and the intangible soul makes more sense to me, but then it begs the question of brain damage, brain surgery, trephining where part of the gray matter is skimmed away to relieve concussion pressure. People have survived and gone on to live with some degree of normalcy with a substantial chunk of their brain gone. Perhaps there is some specific portion of the brain, without which the consciousness cannot survive, that might be the that metaphysical link. Of course, its all a moot point to those who don't believe in an immortal soul, but I'd still think that the question of continuity of consciousness would be an issue to those folks.

    If such a "mind upload" should become available (far fetched imho), I don't think I'd be intrested.

    G.

  3. #153
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    A lot of SF stories have been written along those lines. Lots of debate about how you would go about copying the mind, how much of the mind exists in the physical brain and how much is "virtual machine" or metaphysical and intangible. Of course there's the ultimate question, of whether a hypothetical brain-upload running on software would be "the real you" or merely an imitation; that is, whether there would be a continuity of conscience, or a transfer of the soul. I'm strongly inclined to think "not".

    There was a time when the heart was thought to be the recepticle of the soul, and that the soul departed when the heart stopped. Open-heart surgery and heart transplants pretty much KO'd that theory. The idea of the brain being the link between the physical body and the intangible soul makes more sense to me, but then it begs the question of brain damage, brain surgery, trephining where part of the gray matter is skimmed away to relieve concussion pressure. People have survived and gone on to live with some degree of normalcy with a substantial chunk of their brain gone. Perhaps there is some specific portion of the brain, without which the consciousness cannot survive, that might be the that metaphysical link. Of course, its all a moot point to those who don't believe in an immortal soul, but I'd still think that the question of continuity of consciousness would be an issue to those folks.

    If such a "mind upload" should become available (far fetched imho), I don't think I'd be intrested.

    G.
    You might find this interesting.
    Gene Scan Shows Body’s Clock Influences Numerous Physical Functions
    Your Tax Dollars at Work: NIH Proves Pineal Gland Houses the Soul Labor Law Guy
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 04-04-09 at 05:23 PM.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #154
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    One night when I was a little intoxicated I swore I could see the magnetic field created around my hand in a certain light source/angle.

    When I swirled my hand in a circle I could see a shadow image in the light as if it was attracted energy of some sort lag behind and then accellerate to keep up.

    Usually I refrain from telling too many people this but I know what I saw and it was clearly something disconnected but somehow attracted or mgnetically bound
    yeah, thats called LSD or Acid in the vernacular

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    yeah, thats called LSD or Acid in the vernacular
    I had an old high school friend who did acid and told me stories of what he saw

    I never did any drugs except a little drinking

  6. #156
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    ..Bill O'Reilly for President 2012..
    .........Ann Coulter Vice President.............
    Your sig is twisted.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Your sig is twisted.
    Why do you say this?

  8. #158
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Why do you say this?
    Billy O'Reilly for president??? Are you for real??? I may have well have voted for Bush if i was American. Dang.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY"]YouTube - Bill O'Reilly Flips Out[/ame]

    That sums it up.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 04-04-09 at 09:23 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Billy O'Reilly for president??? Are you for real??? I may have well have voted for Bush if i was American. Dang.

    YouTube - Bill O'Reilly Flips Out

    That sums it up.
    Interesting...and I suppose you never had less than flattering moments complaining about things not working the way they were supposed to?

  10. #160
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Interesting...and I suppose you never had less than flattering moments complaining about things not working the way they were supposed to?
    Im not planning on being Prez any time soon either

    Look on youtube theres an entire archive of bloopers.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •