View Poll Results: Will aliens be hostile or friendly

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friendly

    42 52.50%
  • Hostile

    25 31.25%
  • We are alone

    13 16.25%
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 296

Thread: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

  1. #101
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Haha.
    "Please Mr. Chambers! It's a recipe book"

    I've never seen that before.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  2. #102
    Educator Onion Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Last Seen
    07-13-16 @ 07:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    753

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    We need to find ways to hook into the universe's natrual gravity lines when they connect in a perfect connect the dot's type of way and then find a way to somehow "change" the vessal so that it rather be at the furthest gravity point we wish.
    Let me know when you have a working model.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I think if you are trying to apply our definition of "life" to the Universe then you surely don't understand the vastness, and baffling complexities of the Universe (I sure as hell don't).

    I am guessing you suggest that these things live in the same dimensions as us. That on their homeworld they are subject to gravitational limits. That their planet rotates on a similar plan as ours, so that they have a similar idea of time and space, or that they even have any idea of time or space, or that they have any ideas to begin with.
    The universe is indeed infinite, but infinities come in different sizes. For instance, the intergers are countably infinite, as are the rational numbers, which are composed of two integers, one in the numerator and one in the denominator. The real numbers are uncountably infinite. But they are far from being the set with the largest measure.

    The point is, "infinite" is not just a catch-all term that means "anything can happen." This is a mistake that Nietzche made in his otherwise-excellent book, Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Nietzche thought that infinity implied that once something had happened, it would eventually happen again, or its exact opposite would happen. No, infinity isn't generally that big.

    So, a word of warning: Just because the universe is infinite doesn't mean that you can spin the most fanciful of scenarios and just assume that "infinite" implies that your scenario exists somewhere. The universe is a big place, but it is not as big as the space between your ears. That space contains things that will never occur anywhere in the universe.

    My previous posts had some rather rough guesses of probabilities and I will get back to you guys when I have a more formal, though still laymen-level, paper written about the possibility of aliens visiting us. But my basic thesis stands: It is darned improbable - comparable to me hitting with my deer rifle from a mile away a dime tossed in the air. Of course, rifle bullets do travel a mile - it's not like the bullet will fall short - but that fact alone does not make wagering on my marksmanship a good bet.
    Is the following quote reckless in the extreme? Then read my 2008 paper about monetary theory:
    http://www.axiomaticeconomics.com/in...e_collapse.php
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    No tax raises needed, just have the federal government spend the money into existence.

  3. #103
    Student Pinu7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In your kitchen, drinking all your kool aid.
    Last Seen
    09-05-11 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    196

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    I just saw that last night on TV........

  4. #104
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,312

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Hard to say-do you consider Ross Perot friendly?
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  5. #105
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Onion Eater View Post
    Let me know when you have a working model.



    The universe is indeed infinite, but infinities come in different sizes. For instance, the intergers are countably infinite, as are the rational numbers, which are composed of two integers, one in the numerator and one in the denominator. The real numbers are uncountably infinite. But they are far from being the set with the largest measure.

    The point is, "infinite" is not just a catch-all term that means "anything can happen." This is a mistake that Nietzche made in his otherwise-excellent book, Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Nietzche thought that infinity implied that once something had happened, it would eventually happen again, or its exact opposite would happen. No, infinity isn't generally that big.

    So, a word of warning: Just because the universe is infinite doesn't mean that you can spin the most fanciful of scenarios and just assume that "infinite" implies that your scenario exists somewhere. The universe is a big place, but it is not as big as the space between your ears. That space contains things that will never occur anywhere in the universe.
    I do not entirely understand why my post was quoted. Not once did I use the term "infinity", as I believe using the world infinity is overly underestimating the Universe (humans do not have a clue to the true ambiguity and size of the Universe).

    I think before one speculates about the Universe they need to ignore their own understanding of life, as it will not lead to any insight. All I'm trying to say.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  6. #106
    Educator Onion Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Last Seen
    07-13-16 @ 07:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    753

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I am guessing you suggest that these things live in the same dimensions as us. That on their homeworld they are subject to gravitational limits. That their planet rotates on a similar plan as ours, so that they have a similar idea of time and space, or that they even have any idea of time or space, or that they have any ideas to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I do not entirely understand why my post was quoted. Not once did I use the term "infinity", as I believe using the world infinity is overly underestimating the Universe (humans do not have a clue to the true ambiguity and size of the Universe).

    I think before one speculates about the Universe they need to ignore their own understanding of life, as it will not lead to any insight. All I'm trying to say.
    That's true - you did not use the word "infinite." But your argument is common to people who cite the term "infinite universe" to support just about any scenario, no matter how fantastic.

    The point I was making is that the assumptions you deride - gravitation, elliptical orbits, space and time - are not unreasonable. In fact, it's accepted that these things are consistent throughout the universe.

    Your point, that we do not want to be too parochial in our thinking, is well-taken, but let us not let our imaginations run away with us either. Maybe there are aliens with "hyperintelligence," whatever that means, but humans aren't complete idiots either. We actually know a lot about astrophysics. To claim that we "don't have a clue" is to jettison a lot of hard-earned knowledge and replace it with pure speculation.

    If nothing else, we should be able to agree that this discussion can be tethered to basic concepts like gravity. No?
    Is the following quote reckless in the extreme? Then read my 2008 paper about monetary theory:
    http://www.axiomaticeconomics.com/in...e_collapse.php
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    No tax raises needed, just have the federal government spend the money into existence.

  7. #107
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Onion Eater View Post
    That's true - you did not use the word "infinite." But your argument is common to people who cite the term "infinite universe" to support just about any scenario, no matter how fantastic.

    The point I was making is that the assumptions you deride - gravitation, elliptical orbits, space and time - are not unreasonable. In fact, it's accepted that these things are consistent throughout the universe.

    Your point, that we do not want to be too parochial in our thinking, is well-taken, but let us not let our imaginations run away with us either. Maybe there are aliens with "hyperintelligence," whatever that means, but humans aren't complete idiots either. We actually know a lot about astrophysics. To claim that we "don't have a clue" is to jettison a lot of hard-earned knowledge and replace it with pure speculation.

    If nothing else, we should be able to agree that this discussion can be tethered to basic concepts like gravity. No?
    The only clue we have is the concepts in perspective of Earth. We understand gravity based on how it is represented on Earth. I do think gravity, or what we call gravity, is a great nominee for a universal concept, however I do not think an intelligent life that has experienced gravity differently (as would happen, unless exact circumstances are present in hypothetical planet A and Earth) would agree with us on what gravity is. If two people from two different ends of the Earth looked at the same oil-leak on a pavement one might suggest that the oil-leak resembles an alligator, while the other might say it looks like a snake. It is neither an alligator or snake, but it is (as perspectives and speculations are what comprises everything and gives credibility to another) both at the same time.

    Am I making sense? I am not trying to dismiss our findings, and our research as humans, in-fact I am impressed and amazed that our Mars Rover has lived 4 years and 9 months longer than it's designer intended. I am, however, trying to say that if we take theories (such as big bang) as the dogma/canon of space exploration then we are going to end up with nothing but failures. We need to keep our imaginations open. Science sure as hell will never be able to make sense of everything.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  8. #108
    User GRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nonya Biz
    Last Seen
    03-03-09 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    10

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer View Post
    If Aliens are met in Washington DC, by Republicans, they will be hostile and we will face a spaced War.

    If Aliens are met in Washington DC, by Democrats, there will be peace, popcorn, hamburger, and Nachos. We will learn to straighten out all terrible problems caused by the eight horrible years of George and Dick.

    Here Here. Though I think all politicians would find something in common with aliens.

  9. #109
    Educator Onion Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Last Seen
    07-13-16 @ 07:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    753

    Are the Humans Warlike?

    Are the Humans Warlike?

    Orbiting the oxygen-rich blue-green planet,
    We peer through gun sights, trying to read it.
    Are the humans warlike? Be they tigers or sheep,
    Either way, the fact is: Their planet, we need it.

    Know your enemy and know yourself – Sun Tzu.
    To learn about the humans we’ll capture one,
    Test his strength, his courage and his mettle.
    Find out what they’re made of; that will be fun!

    We hover over the city, looking for one alone,
    There’s our prey, walking though a cemetery!
    God! He fights like a demon! Eight of us fall.
    But we tie him up and to our ship we do carry,

    The human as he writhes in our grasp. An ell!
    Muscles bulging, he strains against his binds,
    Blood pours out as the cords dig into his wrists,
    But he pulls even harder. His teeth he grinds.

    We bring him to the CAT scan machine,
    An advanced version that can read minds,
    It looks for thoughts of surrender, of fear;
    But hatred, fury and rage are all that it finds.

    Snapping his binds he leaps free of the CAT scan,
    Striking in every direction he lays ten of us low,
    Our spaceship is splattered with blood and gore!
    Stealing a shuttle, he returns to the planet below.

    Half of our crew dead, we abandon the planet,
    The humans are too fierce! They can keep it.
    Our species has conquered many planets before,
    But not this one; to our home world we beat it.

    The sun is rising as he races across the cemetery,
    He had wanted to stay and kill the rest of the crew,
    But, being a vampire, he had to return to his grave,
    The aliens didn’t know it, but Earth has its monsters too.


    I have a whole page of Free Online Poetry at my website!
    Is the following quote reckless in the extreme? Then read my 2008 paper about monetary theory:
    http://www.axiomaticeconomics.com/in...e_collapse.php
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    No tax raises needed, just have the federal government spend the money into existence.

  10. #110
    U mad bro?

    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    06-20-18 @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,100

    Re: Will aliens be friendly or hostile?

    thur takin er jubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trump Derangement Syndrome, or TDS, affects millions of right wing Americans. Symptoms include frequent use of "whataboutisms," irrational rants about how the DNC, GOP, MSM, FBI, NSA, CIA, and FB are all conspiring to get Trump, blaming Obama and/or Clinton for things Trump has done or is doing, and a bizarre admiration for Vladimir Putin. Known TDS vectors are Fox News and the @RealDonaltTrump twitter feed.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •