View Poll Results: See OP: Have the US soldiers committed a crime?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 5.71%
  • No

    33 94.29%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 103

Thread: Is this a crime?

  1. #91
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post

    And the final poke, the maturity insult.
    There's no insult there, just an observation.

    Disagree?

    Note that you have repeatedly failed to actually address the points put to you.

  2. #92
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    This is the knee jerk reaction that leads me to believe combatants should be held to the same standards as the rest of us.
    This is your first judgmental mistake. The 'combatants' you are claiming should be held to the same standard as the rest of you, they're held to a much higher standard in all areas of their life then you. All areas. So it is you that should be seeking to achieve higher standards in your life.

    The second anyone even hints that a soldier could act inappropriately in combat, their peers rush to their defense.
    Check out one of my earlier responses to this thread to see my position on this subject rather then incorrectly assuming my position. http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1057860850 (Is this a crime?)

    You say I'm positioning myself at a moral high ground but really I'm just analyzing the situation from the rest of the world's position.
    You have purposefully set yourself up to make yourself appear as if you and your judgment are superior in all ways to Goobieman and those in the military but read my words carefully and remember them: you are unqualified to pass judgment on any of them.

    You also couldn't resist that last line of BS. "That marine who killed 49 civilians and 1 insurgent was ensuring my right to speak!"
    My words were not addressing this incident (and one I'm unaware of so please provide a link) so of that I am incapable of addressing. What I was stating and you are trying to poison with your misdirected claim, and be informed I base my position on 21 years of military service to my nation and to you. I fought, sweat, sacrificed, endured, and have lost much for the priviledge of serving my nation and its citizens so I was serious. We, past and present, military men and women have served to guarantee your rights and freedoms. Never forget that it was done for you, at great cost to others for you, and required you to do nothing.

    Pride. Honor. Service. Integrity. Loyalty. Honesty. Respect. 7 traits of our military men and women.
    Last edited by rsixing; 12-31-08 at 12:09 AM.

  3. #93
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post
    This is your first judgmental mistake. The 'combatants' you are claiming should be held to the same standard as the rest of you, they're held to a much higher standard in all areas of their life then you. All areas. So it is you that should be seeking to achieve higher standards in your life.

    Check out one of my earlier responses to this thread to see my position on this subject rather then incorrectly assuming my position. http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1057860850 (Is this a crime?)
    Your response did not address anything I said, you just responded with the blanket "you are unqualified to pass any judgment." To me this says that no situation, no matter how glaringly amoral, can be judged by me. Morals are morals, there is no special set for military combatants, just greater understanding for their actions and justification. If I incorrectly judged your opinion its because you did not seem to be interested in the topic Goobieman and I were discussing and instead generalized and dismissed me.

    You have purposefully set yourself up to make yourself appear as if you and your judgment are superior in all ways to Goobieman and those in the military but read my words carefully and remember them: you are unqualified to pass judgment on any of them.
    Where did I say or imply that my judgment is superior to those in the military? Read closer and you see that my response was directed at actions of someone in a hypothetical situation. Again, read the thread, don't make generalizations and summarily dismiss me or you'll only further confirm your bias.

    My words were not addressing this incident (and one I'm unaware of so please provide a link) so of that I am incapable of addressing. What I was stating and you are trying to poison with your misdirected claim, and be informed I base my position on 21 years of military service to my nation and to you. I fought, sweat, sacrificed, endured, and have lost much for the priviledge of serving my nation and its citizens so I was serious. We, past and present, military men and women have served to guarantee your rights and freedoms. Never forget that it was done for you, at great cost to others for you, and required you to do nothing.
    While I respect your service and recognize the position it has put our country in (#1 in the world), I also ask you to be informed and read the context of my statements.

    Finally, a question for Goobieman. Why the hell would you make a thread titled "Is this a crime?" and then tell people they are not qualified to make an opinion?

  4. #94
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Your response did not address anything I said, you just responded with the blanket "you are unqualified to pass any judgment." To me this says that no situation, no matter how glaringly amoral, can be judged by me. Morals are morals, there is no special set for military combatants, just greater understanding for their actions and justification. If I incorrectly judged your opinion its because you did not seem to be interested in the topic Goobieman and I were discussing and instead generalized and dismissed me.
    A reaction to a knee jerk reaction does not make a position of sound judgment and this discussion has nothing to do with amorality.

    I clearly stated my position. I supported Goobie's position, not necessarily the tenor, in that you are not qualified to pass judgment on the military and their conduct during combat based on the fact you have never served, you have never trained, and you have never fought. Mine is a very sound position and one based on estimation of qualifications by your admitted experience or the lack thereof.

    Where did I say or imply that my judgment is superior to those in the military? Read closer and you see that my response was directed at actions of someone in a hypothetical situation. Again, read the thread, don't make generalizations and summarily dismiss me or you'll only further confirm your bias.
    I won't deny my bias particularly since the evidence I have offered of my own knowledge of this topic would lean heavily towards making me biased.



    With that said there is no love lost between Goobie and myself so I am not 'taking his side' because we're buds nor dismissing you via generalizations. His position that you are unqualified to make judgments on those in combat is correct.

    While I respect your service and recognize the position it has put our country in (#1 in the world), I also ask you to be informed and read the context of my statements.
    I will endeavor and have to the best of my ability. Our disagreement stems from what I estimate is your lack of qualifications to make sound judgments on this topic and your willingness to defend such a position.

  5. #95
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post
    I will endeavor and have to the best of my ability. Our disagreement stems from what I estimate is your lack of qualifications to make sound judgments on this topic and your willingness to defend such a position.
    Again, you should have read the thread. I am not a prosecutor trying to actually judge a soldier's actions. We are on a debate forum and Goobieman proposed the question, presumably to the general populace. If he had requested opinions be limited to those who have a record of military service I would have refrained from voicing my opinion.

    My reasons for attacking Goobieman's position were due to his oxymoronic logic of asking for opinions then summarily dismissing them on grounds that he opened the debate to in his OP.

  6. #96
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Again, you should have read the thread.


    I am not a prosecutor trying to actually judge a soldier's actions. We are on a debate forum and Goobieman proposed the question, presumably to the general populace. If he had requested opinions be limited to those who have a record of military service I would have refrained from voicing my opinion.
    My position has been, and still is, you are not qualified to judge the actions of military in combat as Goobie pointed out. I have based my opinion on the fact that you have clearly defined your inexperience and have, consequently, judged you as unqualified.

    My reasons for attacking Goobieman's position were due to his oxymoronic logic of asking for opinions then summarily dismissing them on grounds that he opened the debate to in his OP.
    I am not questioning your reasons, simply reiterating my position that you are not qualified to pass judgment. Isn't that just action or should I refrain from further comment?

  7. #97
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post


    My position has been, and still is, you are not qualified to judge the actions of military in combat as Goobie pointed out. I have based my opinion on the fact that you have clearly defined your inexperience and have, consequently, judged you as unqualified.

    I am not questioning your reasons, simply reiterating my position that you are not qualified to pass judgment. Isn't that just action or should I refrain from further comment?
    As long as you understand that your comment means nothing in the context of this thread since my opinion was asked. If that is the only way you wish to refute my judgment, be my guest. Personally I came on these forums to debate issues logically, not dismiss them because of my ideology.

  8. #98
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,947

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    you've found the right article, now you just have to read:






    maybe criminal negligence



    You do know that not all homicides are murder. Especially in war.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  9. #99
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    As long as you understand that your comment means nothing in the context of this thread since my opinion was asked. If that is the only way you wish to refute my judgment, be my guest. Personally I came on these forums to debate issues logically, not dismiss them because of my ideology.
    lol...very nice. My comments, based on your admitted lack of experience on the topic, means nothing...very logical.


  10. #100
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Is this a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post
    lol...very nice. My comments, based on your admitted lack of experience on the topic, means nothing...very logical.

    Your comments are superficial and have nothing to do with logic. You're playing the "Military" card to cheapen my opinion. I, for one, would not be proud of that.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •