View Poll Results: Would You Support Polygamy

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 43.62%
  • No

    27 28.72%
  • Undecided but open to either side.

    3 3.19%
  • I couldn't care less either way.

    23 24.47%
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 218

Thread: Polygamy: Why not?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    are you suggest we criminalize everything that is damaging to society?
    No, I stated in my first post that polygamy should be legal but not recognized by the state.

  2. #72
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    No, I stated in my first post that polygamy should be legal but not recognized by the state.
    Then they wouldnt be able to get married under civil unions or in Church since Polygamy is a sin....unless they convert to Islam, a lack of state recognition is pointless and may aswell be illegal for stated reasons.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    What difference does it make what the damn divorce rate is?
    Because marriage, no matter to who or how many, can still fail and be just as detrimental.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Yeah cause it would have a great impact on a child who has a father with other multiple wives and children.
    and having step-mothers, step-fathers, and ex-step-parents isn't detrimental? All of these things can have negative effects, what does it matter if there is a functional family? The Nuclear family model doesn't always work.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    What? Oh yes, because a man is so much more DEDICATED to his indivisual relationships in multiple marriages.
    And he's any more likely to be more dedicated when he's stuck with one person? Once again, divorce rate and the amount of relationship breakups says otherwise.

    [quote=kaya'08;1058358831]Apparently not when we stopped importing that GM **** you guys tried to force down our throats. [/qupte]

    My point is, we're not the one who drew colonial lines perpendicular to tribal nations, thus causing massive infighting and creating all the distress and poverty in Africa; and regardless, Africa has nothing to do with polygamy.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Just because you lack the natural emotions of jelously for your loved ones doesnt make it a generalization,
    Saying "the endless squabbles of testosterone fuelled American dudes
    " isn't a generalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    infact your type is in the minority. Relationships are bound to trust and faithfullness, something which is lacking in polygamy.
    Just because you love and care for someone doesn't necessarily mean you want to be stuck with them forever. In fact, that's why a lot of marriages DON'T work out. The people spend too much time with each other, and lo and behold, they go and find someone else because they become fed up with that person. While some people can make marriages last with one person, we are NOT monogamous creatures.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Lol, hypocrit much? (see bold)
    lol, hypocrite much? (See bold)

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Do what, cheat? No say.
    I'm just saying, you make it seem like this is a man problem. I suppose polygamists could be women too, and have 5 husbands.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    No, I stated in my first post that polygamy should be legal but not recognized by the state.
    Fair enough, but that's not the particular post I was responding to. I was using reverse logic to show that things aren't black and white.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    There is none thats the point.
    Are you capable of seeing other points of view, or do you just come here to make your point known and then nitpick at everyone with a different opinion from yours? I've noticed this attitude in quite a few of your responses...just wondering.

  6. #76
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Because marriage, no matter to who or how many, can still fail and be just as detrimental.
    How does increasing marriage lower this irrelevant figure? You need to look at the reasons why they dont work; usually as a result of lack of dedication or faithfullness. Your just contradicting yourself.

    and having step-mothers, step-fathers, and ex-step-parents isn't detrimental? All of these things can have negative effects, what does it matter if there is a functional family? The Nuclear family model doesn't always work.
    It is detrimental but why should the government legalize Polygamy and just exasperate this problem? This "well its screwed anyway so screwing it more wont matter" logic isnt getting you anywhere. This disucussion shouldnt even be had until gays can have the chance of getting married, let alone discussion of giving more marriage to straights.


    And he's any more likely to be more dedicated when he's stuck with one person? Once again, divorce rate and the amount of relationship breakups says otherwise.
    Absolutely, yes, he is.


    My point is, we're not the one who drew colonial lines perpendicular to tribal nations, thus causing massive infighting and creating all the distress and poverty in Africa; and regardless, Africa has nothing to do with polygamy.
    Exactly, its just as irrelevant as your need to lower a superficial figure. And dont start with European colonialism, you as a single nation have so far outdone us in the art of war mongering.


    Saying "the endless squabbles of testosterone fuelled American dudes
    " isn't a generalization?
    I just pointed out you made a generalization also while pointing out mine. Its also a far better, accurate generalization then your minority view of not caring abour dedicated relationships to a loved ONE, and the natural feelings of protecting, caring and usually jelously that comes with it.


    Just because you love and care for someone doesn't necessarily mean you want to be stuck with them forever. In fact, that's why a lot of marriages DON'T work out.
    If you feel you dont want to be "stuck" with them forever, dont get married in the first place.

    The people spend too much time with each other, and lo and behold, they go and find someone else because they become fed up with that person. While some people can make marriages last with one person, we are NOT monogamous creatures.
    Then divorce, how is Polygamy a cure to any of this? This is a decision of the indivisual to make. It doesnt give him a right to seek the hand of other women as if they are objects. And if it makes you comfortable for your wife to also be with another man, well, your definetly in the minority my friend.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 11-11-09 at 04:27 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #77
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Are you capable of seeing other points of view, or do you just come here to make your point known and then nitpick at everyone with a different opinion from yours? I've noticed this attitude in quite a few of your responses...just wondering.
    This attitude has been used because of your offensive remarks. Dont play the innocent game with me. An eye for an eye, i guess.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Well, either way, I can't debate with you. No offense, it's just how you are, and I'm not going to waste anyone's time dancing around the same issues while you continue to just re-state your opinion. If you want to go example for example, and statistic for statistic, let's do it.


    Here is my final statement: Polygamy is no worse or better than monogamy and should only be subject to the same standards and criticisms as monogamy in terms of criminal activity. i.e. Abuse, neglect, violence, etc.

    When you bring me some cold, hard facts that dispute the fact that polygamy is 'bad' or 'immoral' or whatever you want to call it, then we'll talk. For now, enjoy your opinion and I'll enjoy mine.

  9. #79
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Here is my final statement: Polygamy is no worse or better than monogamy and should only be subject to the same standards and criticisms as monogamy in terms of criminal activity. i.e. Abuse, neglect, violence, etc.
    Ive said already its only natural for a man or woman dedicated to more than one marriage or family lead to the break down of communication and leave that child severly neglected and confused. Common sense requires reference?

    When you bring me some cold, hard facts that dispute the fact that polygamy is 'bad' or 'immoral' or whatever you want to call it, then we'll talk. For now, enjoy your opinion and I'll enjoy mine.
    I have. I am making valid points based on current scenarious even, of children subjected to the neglect of divorced parents which only replicates itself in Polygamous relationships where the husband has a duty to more than one family or wife and is usually around less than he should be.


    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Well, either way, I can't debate with you. No offense, it's just how you are, and I'm not going to waste anyone's time dancing around the same issues while you continue to just re-state your opinion. If you want to go example for example, and statistic for statistic, let's do it.
    In that case, lets go.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 11-11-09 at 04:37 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #80
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    The main issue that I have with polygamy is that many children are forced into marriages. As long as all parties involved are consenting adults I don't have any issue with it.

    In answer to some of the other points in the OP, the argument that gay marriage and polygamy go hand in hand is flawed. It is most likely that they would not receive the same scrutiny under an equal protection analysis. Polygamy would likely be analyzed under the first tier (standard scrutiny - requiring a "legitimate" state interest to justify any limitation placed upon it). Gay marriage, while probably not likely to receive the highest tier (Strict Scrutiny - requiring a "compelling" governmental interest), it likely would receive the intermediate level requiring the government to establish an "important" state interest in order to justify any limitation placed upon it.
    Last edited by disneydude; 11-11-09 at 04:43 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •