View Poll Results: Would You Support Polygamy

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 43.62%
  • No

    27 28.72%
  • Undecided but open to either side.

    3 3.19%
  • I couldn't care less either way.

    23 24.47%
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 218

Thread: Polygamy: Why not?

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Nobody is saying that anyone should be "entitled" to marriage, I just happen to think that a high unmarried male:female ratio would be a bad thing for society in general, and you don't seem to disagree.
    I don't care one way or another, but if someone wants to do something that doesn't infringe upon anyone else (and there's no evidence that it will) then let them. We can only learn from mistakes if we make them. Also, If we were a more open society to our non-monogamy, I think we'd ALL be happier. I mean just look at the stigma placed on people who cheat, and yet, people do it all the time and in the end it really doesn't hurt society.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    It might be justified if legalized polygamy actually had benefits, but nobody's really argued that it does.
    Something has to be good for us or benefit us to be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    The "you never know until you try" argument could be used for criminalization too, and I don't buy it. If we're going to change our legal code, there should be an actual reason why doing so would be a good thing.
    Well we're talking about polygamy, now. So tell me why not. You can't tell me why not just as much as I can't tell you why so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    He didn't marry her, so....
    Doesn't matter. He failed at monogamy.

  2. #202
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    He didn't marry her, so....
    See this? This is my problem. Homosexuals are ruining the sanctity of marriage. Plygs would ruin the sanctity of marriage if we let them. Marriage is holy in the eyes of God and thus must be applied according to God's law.

    But ****ing the babysitter or your secretary? Having children out of wedlock, or divorcing and remarrying and "raising" your children through Christmas cards? That's all A-OK and if you say otherwise, you're a totalitarian and a prude and even social conservatives will try to tell you to mind your own business.

    How is all of this moral degeneracy more acceptable than gays and Muslims having the number and type of spouses allowed to them by their faiths? It is sickening.

  3. #203
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Something has to be good for us or benefit us to be legal?
    Here is the main problem, and why we will probably never agree on such issues as this one.

    In my view, the law should not be changed in any way- legalization, criminalization, etc.- unless there is a reason why doing so would be beneficial on the whole.

    In your view, which is the libertarian view, the current legal code is of no importance, and all that matters is that everything that does not directly violate the rights of others is legal.



    I don't think we can ever come to an agreement here because our assumptions of what laws are don't match. I'm not even sure either of us is wrong or right, we just have different perspectives.

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    See this? This is my problem. Homosexuals are ruining the sanctity of marriage. Plygs would ruin the sanctity of marriage if we let them. Marriage is holy in the eyes of God and thus must be applied according to God's law.

    But ****ing the babysitter or your secretary? Having children out of wedlock, or divorcing and remarrying and "raising" your children through Christmas cards? That's all A-OK and if you say otherwise, you're a totalitarian and a prude and even social conservatives will try to tell you to mind your own business.

    How is all of this moral degeneracy more acceptable than gays and Muslims having the number and type of spouses allowed to them by their faiths? It is sickening.
    Couldn't agree with you more, but people who don't believe the same thing you believe, in a Nation where Church and State are separate, are entitled to their happiness and beliefs, within reason of course.

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Here is the main problem, and why we will probably never agree on such issues as this one.

    In my view, the law should not be changed in any way- legalization, criminalization, etc.- unless there is a reason why doing so would be beneficial on the whole.

    In your view, which is the libertarian view, the current legal code is of no importance, and all that matters is that everything that does not directly violate the rights of others is legal.

    I don't think we can ever come to an agreement here because our assumptions of what laws are don't match. I'm not even sure either of us is wrong or right, we just have different perspectives.
    If it doesn't hurt anyone, then who's to say any different? the Destruction of the Sanctity of Marriage, the destruction of society, the breakdown of moral fiber, all of this aside, this is America, and the same reason that people can believe these things can destroy all those things is the same reason people can believe they won't.

  6. #206
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by FallingPianos View Post
    tax laws regarding marriage would need to be revised, for instance.
    I think most of the rights we provide married people should be removed. The few that make sense can be given without any special government recognition of marriage. Tax for example. Why should a couple that have 2 children and lived together for 10 years pay a different tax than a couple that have 2 children and lived together for 10 years? Because one's married and one isn't. That makes no sense. In fact, by not being married, you often end up with the result where one parent can claim the children and obtain the earned income credit, where as if they were married the couple could not qualify due to too much income. So I feel that the example of tax laws is one area where the special rights allowed married couples should be removed. Everyone should be treated the same in the tax system.

    So I don't see a need for the government to recognize polygamy in the same way I don't see a need for the government to recognize marriage. Which I suppose puts polygamy on the same level as marriage. I have to admit, there is a certain appeal to a polygamous relationship. I've been single most of my life, by choice. Because on the few incidents I haven't been single I've found that women are far too needy and time consuming. I'm not willing to give all my time to someone else. But if I only had to dedicate myself 25% of the time that would be easier to do.

  7. #207
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    See this? This is my problem. Homosexuals are ruining the sanctity of marriage. Plygs would ruin the sanctity of marriage if we let them. Marriage is holy in the eyes of God and thus must be applied according to God's law.

    But ****ing the babysitter or your secretary? Having children out of wedlock, or divorcing and remarrying and "raising" your children through Christmas cards? That's all A-OK and if you say otherwise, you're a totalitarian and a prude and even social conservatives will try to tell you to mind your own business.

    How is all of this moral degeneracy more acceptable than gays and Muslims having the number and type of spouses allowed to them by their faiths? It is sickening.
    I agree with you to a point. Divorce laws were liberalized in the 50's and 60's for the most part. Prior to that there was both powerful legal and social injunction against divorce in all but the most extreme cases, and the divorce rate was very low.

    There was also societal support for marriage. It was indeed seen as a sacred institution, and those who became known for violating that institution were ostracised. If your hubby is a no-good drunk who comes home and beats you all the time...you call your three brothers, and THEY meet him at the door one night and beat the living crap out of HIM...and tell him if he doesn't straighten up, they'll be back as often as needed.
    This doesn't generally happen anymore.

    All my life I've heard preachers railing against adultery and divorce...while at the same time I've seen adultery and divorce normalized and glorified in the mass media and becoming ever more commonplace among the people.

    Do away with no-fault divorce? Return to censoring TV for "moral wholesomness"? Back to "Father knows best" and "Leave it to Beaver"?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #208
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    "Leave it to Beaver"?
    With a title like that it doesn't REALLY need to be all that wholesome, Goshin.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  9. #209
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    wel in theory if a threesome of people wanna get married and be together im fine with that.However historically polygamy has just been shown as a way of men in small out of society groups taking advantage of vulnerable women.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
    However historically polygamy has just been shown as a way of men in small out of society groups taking advantage of vulnerable women.
    Proof?

    Even in our society, serial polygamy is as acceptable as monogamy is. Not to mention over 1000 societies have one form of polygamy or another. I'll find the report, it's around here somewhere...
    Last edited by EpicDude86; 11-15-09 at 09:10 PM.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •