View Poll Results: Would You Support Polygamy

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 43.62%
  • No

    27 28.72%
  • Undecided but open to either side.

    3 3.19%
  • I couldn't care less either way.

    23 24.47%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 218

Thread: Polygamy: Why not?

  1. #171
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    How so?

    10char
    condition of statehood....Utah wanted statehood, the federal govt wanted polygamy stopped...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    I don't have any problems with legalizing it, to some degree, that might eliminate some of the shadier practices that currently exist in the dark corners where polygamy has been driven underground.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Utah's entry into the Union was conditional upon outlawing the practice. This is also about the time that mainstream Latter Day Saints changed policy and the church schismed over it, creating all of the splinter groups they're so eagerly trying to stamp out to this day.
    That was like 150 years ago. It's been long enough that they could probably manage to legalize it today if they felt strongly about it.


    That's the thing about polygamy: nobody feels strongly about it, with the exception of polygamists, and the fact that there's no likely genetic factor in their lifestyle choice as there is with gays makes people feel a lot less motivated to help their cause. Even libertarians, when they comment on the issue, mostly just say "well if it was legal I wouldn't have any problems with that". I seriously doubt that it will ever be legalized in any state in my lifetime.

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    I wonder, let's look at past inconsequential actions, or less severe actions, that were outlawed and what resulted from that outlawing.

    Shall we start with the Harrison Act or Prohibition? We can go farther back or forward if you'd like, just trying to remain relatively contemporary and within America.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I wonder, let's look at past inconsequential actions, or less severe actions, that were outlawed and what resulted from that outlawing.

    Shall we start with the Harrison Act or Prohibition? We can go farther back or forward if you'd like, just trying to remain relatively contemporary and within America.
    You can't outlaw something that wasn't legal to begin with (which is why I can't stand people who talk about those who want to "ban" gay marriage).


    And the comparison with Prohibition is completely invalid for a number of reasons, one of which is that unlike drinking, marriage is something that requires governmental/societal recognition.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    You can't outlaw something that wasn't legal to begin with (which is why I can't stand people who talk about those who want to "ban" gay marriage).


    And the comparison with Prohibition is completely invalid for a number of reasons, one of which is that unlike drinking, marriage is something that requires governmental/societal recognition.
    Well thanks for that and you make a good point, but what I was going for is that the more taboo you make something out to be, the more appealing it gets...Humans just love raunchy, taboo stuff I guess.

    If it were accepted, common practice in the states, this conversation would be boring because we'd be discussing something as dull as consensual sex between a man and woman in the missionary position. Duuuulllll.

    Over 1000 Societies are either ok with polygamy or practice it regularly. It's about an even split. It's more normal than one would think.

  7. #177
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Incest should be legal if gay marriage and polygamy are ever to be legal. Why not?

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Incest should be legal if gay marriage and polygamy are ever to be legal. Why not?
    Please support it with evidence. Draw some viable parallels between them and we'll talk. Try and keep it scientific but if all you have are opinions and beliefs, please note them. Thanks.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Well thanks for that and you make a good point, but what I was going for is that the more taboo you make something out to be, the more appealing it gets...Humans just love raunchy, taboo stuff I guess.

    If it were accepted, common practice in the states, this conversation would be boring because we'd be discussing something as dull as consensual sex between a man and woman in the missionary position. Duuuulllll.
    Well, for one thing, taboo is enticing for some short-term fun... not for a lifestyle choice.

    Also, the fact that it is taboo means that it is not widely done, and the fact that it is accepted means that it is widely done, so whether or not it is "appealing" or "dull" is irrelevant.

    Over 1000 Societies are either ok with polygamy or practice it regularly. It's about an even split. It's more normal than one would think.
    Is there even a single developed country where polygamy is legal or practiced regularly? It's normal in the 3rd world, sure, but what about outside of there?

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamy: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Well, for one thing, taboo is enticing for some short-term fun... not for a lifestyle choice.

    Also, the fact that it is taboo means that it is not widely done, and the fact that it is accepted means that it is widely done, so whether or not it is "appealing" or "dull" is irrelevant.



    Is there even a single developed country where polygamy is legal or practiced regularly? It's normal in the 3rd world, sure, but what about outside of there?
    I see what you're saying, but it doesn't mean their society is wrong and certainly doesn't justify it being illegal here.

    Like is said earlier, if someone can support their many wives and children, what's a good reason to stop them?

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •