View Poll Results: What is "common sense" gun control?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal registration of guns

    16 47.06%
  • Federal licensing of gun owners

    13 38.24%
  • Instant background checks for dealer transfers

    18 52.94%
  • Instant background checks for private transfers

    15 44.12%
  • 5-day waiting periods for handgun purchases

    10 29.41%
  • 5-day waiting period for all gun purchases

    9 26.47%
  • Ban guns from felons and those adjudicated ‘mentally infirm’

    25 73.53%
  • Ban handguns

    2 5.88%
  • Ban ‘assault weapons’

    4 11.76%
  • Other (specify)

    11 32.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 231

Thread: What is "common sense" gun control?

  1. #101
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    How exactly can the person be restricted from owning a gun after they have violated a law if the gun seller is unable to check if they have violated the law?
    You're confused. You think you can use the law to keep people from breaking the law -- that is, that you can pre-empt crime.

    The entire concept behind prior restraint is that you cannot infringe on the rights of people 'because they might' commit a crime, or 'just in case' they commit a crime -- you have to wait until they actually DO commit a crime before you can act.

    You then enforce the law that was broken and punish the person that broke it.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-18-08 at 02:40 PM.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,556

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You're confused. You think you can use the law to keep people from breaking the law -- that is, that you can pre-empt crime.

    The entire concept behind prior restraint is that you cannot infringe on the rights of people 'because they might' commit a crime, or 'just in case' they commit a crime -- you have to wait until they actually DO commit a crime before you can act.

    You then enforce the law that was broken and punish the person that broke it.
    So a violent felon who has been released should be allowed to own guns because he hasn't committed any crimes yet?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #103
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Your posts are anything but clear.
    I have invted you to ask specific questions to clear things up.

    Since you're convinced that registration and licensing "infringes" on the 2nd amendment right, state clearly a scenario where your argument would apply.
    I dont understand the question.
    The easy and obvious answer is 'whenever you are required to get a license to buy a gun and register said gun'. I'm really not sure what you're asking for.

  4. #104
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So a violent felon who has been released should be allowed to own guns because he hasn't committed any crimes yet?
    My position on felons is apparent, should you take the time to read the thread and note the poll results.

  5. #105
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    So there's no danger in allowing people to possess guns on planes?
    Inherently, no.
    If there were, then no one would be allowed to have them.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You're confused. You think you can use the law to keep people from breaking the law -- that is, that you can pre-empt crime.
    No I'm using the law to make sure that I am not violating the law by selling a felon a gun that is illegal for them to own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The entire concept behind prior restraint is that you cannot infringe on the rights of people 'because they might' commit a crime, or 'just in case' they commit a crime -- you have to wait until they actually DO commit a crime before you can act.

    You then enforce the law that was broken and punish the person that broke it.
    How is you submitting to a background check denying you the ability to own a gun?
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  7. #107
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I have invted you to ask specific questions to clear things up.


    I dont understand the question.
    The easy and obvious answer is 'whenever you are required to get a license to buy a gun and register said gun'. I'm really not sure what you're asking for.
    I thought it was pretty straight forward.

    State clearly a scenario where your argument would apply.

    You seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject, surely you can think of an instance where someone's right was infringed due to these two requirements (the easiest way to support your argument).

  8. #108
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    No I'm using the law to make sure that I am not violating the law by selling a felon a guy that is illegal for them to own.
    Yes... and this then creates an infringement on the right to arms.

    How is you submitting to a background check denying you the ability to own a gun?
    You cannot buy the gun until you undergo the check, and you undego the check because you might be breaking the law. Prior restraint.

  9. #109
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    I thought it was pretty straight forward.
    State clearly a scenario where your argument would apply.
    Ok, then... which argument?
    I really am confused here...

    You seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject, surely you can think of an instance where someone's right was infringed due to these two requirements (the easiest way to support your argument).
    The infringement comes in the requirement to obtain a license/registration in order to obtain simple posession of a firearm. Whenever someone is so required, his right is infringed.

    This seems so plain toi me that I have to believe you;re actually asking me something else...?

  10. #110
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Inherently, no.
    If there were, then no one would be allowed to have them.
    Errr...you aren't allowed to possess a gun on a plane

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •