View Poll Results: What is "common sense" gun control?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal registration of guns

    16 47.06%
  • Federal licensing of gun owners

    13 38.24%
  • Instant background checks for dealer transfers

    18 52.94%
  • Instant background checks for private transfers

    15 44.12%
  • 5-day waiting periods for handgun purchases

    10 29.41%
  • 5-day waiting period for all gun purchases

    9 26.47%
  • Ban guns from felons and those adjudicated ‘mentally infirm’

    25 73.53%
  • Ban handguns

    2 5.88%
  • Ban ‘assault weapons’

    4 11.76%
  • Other (specify)

    11 32.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 231

Thread: What is "common sense" gun control?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Bans for felons fall outside the "law abiding" requirement.
    Background checks infringe on the rights of the law abiding.

    I fully support any gun control law that means criminals will not have guns and that does not infringe on the rights of the law abiding.
    Let me know when you find one of those.
    How exactly do you ban felons from buying guns if you feel performing background checks infringe on the rights of those buying guns? How would the gun seller know the buyer is a felon without performing a background check?
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  2. #92
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No... the 'issue' you raised is that 'it will help solve crime'.

    Ignoring the 4th amendment will solve a LOT more crime than gun licensing and registration, given that the number of crimes committed with a gun is very low compared to the number of total (even just violent) crimes.

    So, any argument you make for ignoring the 2nd 'because it will help solve crimes' applies just that much more for ignoring the 4th amendment.

    Why is it again that you do not advocate we ignore the 4th amendment in order to solve crimes?

    No, they are not. You are -required- to do these things, if you want to exercise your right, and these things are not an inherent component to the exercise of that right. That means they are an infringement.


    That in no way creates a sound agument for infringing the right to arms.

    Then amend it, rather than simply ignoring it.

    Regardless, boith are banned because both cause sufficient level of 'harm' to warrant them being banned.
    Please elaborate your definition of infringement as it pertains to Licensing and Registration. What part of the process infringes the right. I'm not sure what the criteria would be to deny someone either of those and we have not outlined what would be acceptable in your mind.

  3. #93
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Posession and use are different things; the use, rather than the posession, of the firearm is always the issue when regarding guns, as the use of the gun is what causes harm to others.
    Simple posession harms, and can harm, no one.
    Possession is harmless, but it is still dangerous, and rightly regulated in many situations. I'm certainly not harmed by a person simply possessing a gun on a plane, but I'm in a lot more danger than if they aren't possessing a gun.

  4. #94
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    How exactly do you ban felons from buying guns
    See:
    18 USC 44 (g)(1)
    (g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
    (1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    So, to answer your question: You pass a law.

    If you feel performing background checks infringe on the rights of those buying guns?
    There's no 'feeling' involved.

    The requirement for the check creates a restriction on the right that's not inherent to the right, creating a form of prior restraint.

    That is, it keeps you from buying the gun on the grounds that it -might- be illegal for you to own a gun; you are being restricted from exercising your right because you MIGHT be violating a law, rather than AFTER you HAVE violated a law.

    That's an infringement.

    How would the gun seller know the buyer is a felon without performing a background check?
    There's no legal requirement that he know any such thing.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-18-08 at 02:16 PM.

  5. #95
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Possession is harmless, but it is still dangerous
    In an of itself, posession is both harmless and dangerless. My simply having a gun does you no harm, and creates no danger, for you.

    USE is another issue entirely -- but then, the conversation here revolves around simple posession.

  6. #96
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Please elaborate your definition of infringement as it pertains to Licensing and Registration.
    I have stated this as clearly as I can, several times, on this thread.
    Please look back. If you have a specific question as to my argument to that end, please feel free to ask.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    There's no 'feeling' involved.

    The requirement for the check creates a restriction on the right that's not inherent to the right, creating a form of prior restraint.

    That is, it keeps you from buying the gun on the grounds that it -might- be illegal for you to own a gun; you are being restricted from exercising your right because you MIGHT be violating a law, rather than AFTER you HAVE violated a law.

    That's an infringement.
    How exactly can the person be restricted from owning a gun after they have violated a law if the gun seller is unable to check if they have violated the law?

    Or is it your opinion NO ONE should be restricted from buying guns? Even if them buying the gun is in violation of the law of them owning it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    There's no legal requirement that he know any such thing.
    So felon's should not be able to buy guns but it should be illegal for sellers to check if the buyer is a felon?
    Last edited by Gibberish; 12-18-08 at 02:36 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  8. #98
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I have stated this as clearly as I can, several times, on this thread.
    Please look back. If you have a specific question as to my argument to that end, please feel free to ask.
    Your posts are anything but clear. Since you're convinced that registration and licensing "infringes" on the 2nd amendment right, state clearly a scenario where your argument would apply. As I see it, anyone failing to meet these two simple requirements would be a threat to those around them, so show me a case where this is not true and we'll have something constructive to discuss.

  9. #99
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    In an of itself, posession is both harmless and dangerless. My simply having a gun does you no harm, and creates no danger, for you.

    USE is another issue entirely -- but then, the conversation here revolves around simple posession.
    So there's no danger in allowing people to possess guns on planes?

  10. #100
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,490

    Re: What is "common sense" gun control?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Your posts are anything but clear. Since you're convinced that registration and licensing "infringes" on the 2nd amendment right, state clearly a scenario where your argument would apply. As I see it, anyone failing to meet these two simple requirements would be a threat to those around them, so show me a case where this is not true and we'll have something constructive to discuss.
    Haven't you ever needed a gun and needed it NOW?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •