View Poll Results: Would you allow gay people to adopt?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    86 48.59%
  • No

    91 51.41%
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 384

Thread: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post

    Sure would be interested in some date for the rate of homosexual couples staying together.

    Edited to add this link I found.
    Your link is to a biased study. It compares homosexual relationships (where gays are not allowed to marry) to heterosexual relationships (where heterosexuals are allowed to marry). The comparison cannot account for the effect of the legal framework of marriage and the probably more profound effect of society's attitude toward homosexual relationships in general.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Your link is to a biased study. It compares homosexual relationships (where gays are not allowed to marry) to heterosexual relationships (where heterosexuals are allowed to marry). The comparison cannot account for the effect of the legal framework of marriage and the probably more profound effect of society's attitude toward homosexual relationships in general.
    Yeah, to be fair you'd have to compare the break-up rates of homosexual relationships to the break-up rates of serious heterosexual boyfriend-girlfriend relationships in which the participants aren't married.
    I don't know that there have been any studies like that.

  3. #63
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Your link is to a biased study. It compares homosexual relationships (where gays are not allowed to marry) to heterosexual relationships (where heterosexuals are allowed to marry). The comparison cannot account for the effect of the legal framework of marriage and the probably more profound effect of society's attitude toward homosexual relationships in general.
    I sought out the link when tryreading stated "most" marriages end in divorce. That is a patently false claim or at least not supported by given data.

    So given tryreading's claim I thought it would be germaine to find out how many homosexuals stay together in what would be considered the closest comparative relationship to marriage now; ergo the link showing these relationships are far less 'solid' and lack the longeivity of current heterosexual marriages.

    So yes your point is valid in that the study does not show 'homosexual marriage' and the 'legal framework' is lacking. But still, at least IMO, the study cannot be ignored in the larger view of things. IF homosexuals are ever able to marry will their marriages last or will these marriages also fall to the current level or lack any change with a legal framework given homosexual relationship breakups as noted or is it too big an if?

    Additionally I don't know if there will be a societal shift in broader opinion IF homosexual marriages somehow are "legalized" since I still hold that religious belief will trump legislation always.
    Last edited by rsixing; 12-14-08 at 03:17 PM.

  4. #64
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Yeah, to be fair you'd have to compare the break-up rates of homosexual relationships to the break-up rates of serious heterosexual boyfriend-girlfriend relationships in which the participants aren't married.
    I don't know that there have been any studies like that.
    That or you have to find the closest comparison of the two.

  5. #65
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Farcejj View Post
    Bigotry and prejudice projected by dwindling numbers.

    "The arc of history is a long one, but it bends towards justice."

    Martin Luther King Jr.

    It's only a matter of time and equality will come. It will be as slow, if not slower, as the equality previous minorities of our country fought for.
    Could you explain to me how past racism and bigotry towards racial minorities is comparative to the societal rejection of sexual behavior?

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post
    Could you explain to me how past racism and bigotry towards racial minorities is comparative to the societal rejection of sexual behavior?
    Because it's not about "sexual behavior" (if it was, they'd be outlawing "Girls Gone Wild").
    It's about sexual orientation, which is an inherent, inborn trait much like one's ethnicity.
    it's about a segment of society being discriminated against and denied equal rights because of traits they were born with and can't help or change.
    And in that way, it is exactly parallel to the civil rights movement.

  7. #67
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Because it's not about "sexual behavior" (if it was, they'd be outlawing "Girls Gone Wild").
    It's about sexual orientation, which is an inherent, inborn trait much like one's ethnicity.
    it's about a segment of society being discriminated against and denied equal rights because of traits they were born with and can't help or change.
    And in that way, it is exactly parallel to the civil rights movement.
    Why am I wrong? Heterosexual, homosexual, bi-sexual, it's all sexual behavior isn't it? When someone says I'm heterosexual then it's understood their behavior is directed at the opposite sex just as when someone says I'm homosexual their behavior is directed at the same sex. Or is it your position in this argument that if sexual behavior is used rather then sexual orientation the use would negate the foundation of your argument that sexuality is parallel to race.
    Last edited by rsixing; 12-14-08 at 05:01 PM.

  8. #68
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post
    Why am I wrong? Heterosexual, homosexual, bi-sexual, it's all sexual behavior isn't it?
    If that were true then there would be no such thing as a homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual virgins.

    Do you support allowing two men who have a completely non-sexual romantic relationship to raise children then?

  9. #69
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrein View Post
    If that were true then there would be no such thing as a homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual virgins.
    This sounds like the Clintonesque argument what really constitutes sex.

    With all due respect I'm having a difficult time accepting your explanation because it does not negate the reality that sexual behavior is defined by who you have sex with just as sexual orientation is defined by who you have sex with.

    Do you support allowing two men who have a completely non-sexual romantic relationship to raise children then?
    I don't have an issue with homosexuals, individuals or couples, raising children.

  10. #70
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsixing View Post
    This sounds like the Clintonesque argument what really constitutes sex.

    With all due respect I'm having a difficult time accepting your explanation because it does not negate the reality that sexual behavior is defined by who you have sex with just as sexual orientation is defined by who you have sex with.
    Sure, sexual behavior is defined by who you have sex with but sexual orientation is who you are sexually attracted to. People, to my understanding, define their sexuality as who they are attracted to not who they have sex with. I mean, would you consider prison bitches homosexual necessarily?

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •