View Poll Results: Would you allow gay people to adopt?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    86 48.59%
  • No

    91 51.41%
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 384

Thread: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    I'm certain that there are good examples. But I don't think it's a good idea in general.

    Ultimately, this is a case of performing social experiments on children.

    For what it's worth, I similarly oppose most single parent adoptions as well, and I've enforced that position in my own life.
    Your position is inaccurate and not a social experiment. Research shows that children raised by gay parents function as well as children raised by straight parents.

    There is no logical reason for this couple to be denied the adoption.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    I also disapprove of your choice to bring children into what I consider to be an unhealthy environment, no matter how loving.
    Except what your position on what you consider to be a, generally, unhealthy environment, has been proven to be false.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #43
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Your position is inaccurate and not a social experiment. Research shows that children raised by gay parents function as well as children raised by straight parents.

    There is no logical reason for this couple to be denied the adoption.
    I just dont see how this reaserch can be in anyway thorough are there any stand out studies?
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  4. #44
    User Farcejj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    10-09-09 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Bigotry and prejudice is what's harming these children
    Bigotry and prejudice projected by dwindling numbers.

    "The arc of history is a long one, but it bends towards justice."


    Martin Luther King Jr.

    It's only a matter of time and equality will come. It will be as slow, if not slower, as the equality previous minorities of our country fought for.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
    I just dont see how this reaserch can be in anyway thorough are there any stand out studies?
    There are many studies around this. I have posted them several times when this debate comes up. They do comparisons on the functioning level of children, both from gay and straight 2-parent homes. They measure these functioning levels based on academics, emotional stability, sexuality, socialization, and several other criteria. What the studies found was that there was, virtually, no difference between children who grew up with gay parents verses children who grew up with straight parents. They discovered that there was a difference between both of these environments and children who grew up in single parent households; children in the latter category did worse.

    I'll go try to dig up the post where I, originally, cited the studies.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #46
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    There are many studies around this. I have posted them several times when this debate comes up. They do comparisons on the functioning level of children, both from gay and straight 2-parent homes. They measure these functioning levels based on academics, emotional stability, sexuality, socialization, and several other criteria. What the studies found was that there was, virtually, no difference between children who grew up with gay parents verses children who grew up with straight parents. They discovered that there was a difference between both of these environments and children who grew up in single parent households; children in the latter category did worse.

    I'll go try to dig up the post where I, originally, cited the studies.
    Dont get me wrong in principle im not against gay adoption i just wanna know what the evidence shows to the effects.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  7. #47
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Your position is inaccurate and not a social experiment. Research shows that children raised by gay parents function as well as children raised by straight parents.

    There is no logical reason for this couple to be denied the adoption.
    You're right. There is no logic or reason involved in the opposition to gay adoption.

  8. #48
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    You're right. There is no logic or reason involved in the opposition to gay adoption.
    No offense meant but it's your type of argumentation that makes issues, like this, so polarized and divisive. What I mean is both sides are using logic and reason in their opposition or support of gay adoption.
    Last edited by rsixing; 12-14-08 at 01:08 AM.

  9. #49
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,866

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    There's a huge lack of Love in this world. Where anyone would love a child that needs it, they ought to be able to do so without interference. And where a child needs parents who love them and can show them what love is, other concerns ought to take a very distant back-seat.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Except what your position on what you consider to be a, generally, unhealthy environment, has been proven to be false.
    It occurs to me that these "studies," cannot be terribly extensive, since the practice has only been allowed in most states for a short number of years.


    Also "proof" is a term with a fairly high standard. Your probably on much safer ground if you say that studies (which you did not actually cite,) "indicate," or "support" a position.

    It should also be noted that in the current political climate, studies not supporting the new orthodoxy, that is that homosexual parents are at least as good for the children as heterosexual children, are very unlikely to find wide publication or a positive reception.

    This position may be illustrated by this excerpt:
    In conclusion, research evidence to date has limitations in definitions,
    samples, and analysis, and therefore does not support
    firm statements. However, the scarce data available suggest that
    there is a difference between nonheterosexual and heterosexual
    parenting.
    Unfortunately, ideological and social pressures may be
    constraining the research in this field.
    Its political weight regarding
    child custody or planned lesbigay parenthood through fertility
    services or adoption is so high that the position of researchers may
    be influencing how studies are being designed, conducted, and
    interpreted.
    8 As pediatricians, we can only promote the health
    care and integral development of children of gay or lesbian parents
    if we are aware of the particular difficulties that they may face
    when reaching adolescence, such as sexual identity conflicts or the
    feeling of stigmatization. Neglecting the risks may preclude pediatricians
    to help children and parents to understand and cope with
    these issues.
    Ana MartıŽn-Ancel, MD
    Department of Pediatrics and Neonatology
    FundacioŽn Hospital AlcorcoŽn
    Budapest 1
    28922 AlcorcoŽn
    Madrid, Spain

    -empasis added
    LINK

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •