View Poll Results: Would you allow gay people to adopt?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    86 48.59%
  • No

    91 51.41%
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 384

Thread: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

  1. #201
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    What is the argument here? Yes, all things being equal, most people would probably agree that a child is statistically better off in a family where the parents are married and in a stable home. That has been backed up by God knows how many studies over the years.

    If there were enough qualified and suitable married couples that were willing to adopt out there to adopt every child that needs to be adopted then there would be no reason to open adoption up to single parents and non traditional families. In such a scenario, every orphan would be matched with a storybook family and we would all live happily ever after in a Utopian paradise on earth.

    Thats not reality though. The fact is, there are far more orphans in this world at any given moment then there are qualified and suitable married couples that are willing to adopt. So its rather unconscionable to limit adoption just to them. We know from numerous studies as well that nontraditional families can and do raise perfectly happy, healthy, and well adjusted children, so their is no reason to exclude them.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #202
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    I'd like to see the figures how many families are willing to adopt rather than take your word for it.
    Yes, why don't you present that? Because as it stands, there are over 100,000 orphans in the US alone and if there were enough heterosexual couples willing to adopt, we would see significant decrease in that number. A family willing to adopt would go through the procedures to do just that. As it stands we have over 100,000 orphans in this country alone who need loving homes and those homes may have to come in the form of homosexual homes as well. While there is no data indicating that a heterosexual environment is better than a homosexual environment, it is known that a family can provide better for a child than the State over a relatively large number of children. As such, bigotries should be put aside for the sake of the children. Why should they be forced to live in an orphanage if we can increase the base number of families willing to take them in? It makes no sense, so unless there is proof from your side in the form of having the necessary number of couples to significantly decrease the number of orphans and that the heterosexual environment is superior to the homosexual one; then we're just going to have to put bigotries aside and do what is best to get those orphans into loving homes.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #203
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    I have yet to see an objective review.

    Two guys can't possibly raise a child as well as a normal married couple, again all else being equal.
    Captain Courtesy did the leg work, earlier in this thread:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/1057847882-post57.html
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/1057847883-post58.html

  4. #204
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,783

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Wow - it's funny how some people twist and spin things around in an effort to try to be cute.
    I gave up tryingto be cute a long time ago... it scares people.


    Gay people can't produce children.
    Gay guy sticks penis in a woman, ejaculates, impregnates... BOOM. Child production commences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    My argument is that everything else being equal, a stable man-woman marriage is better qualified to raise a child than any other form of relationship. You appear to be building a straw man of that argument.
    Oh I know what your argument is. My point is that you won't be able to find peer reviewed evidence to back it up.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    A local columnist in Orlando wrote an excellent article on a very expensive battle the State of Florida is fighting to keep a gay couple from adopting their foster kids.

    The state encourages gays to become foster parents, but will spend enough money to raise several kids on a needless lawsuit to prevent gays from adopting.

    If there are any posters here who would not allow the people in the following story to adopt their foster kids, please explain why.
    Not against gay couples adopting at all, i support it as much as i support hetro's adopting babies.

  7. #207
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Thank you. Southern Man is wrong, as usual. Research shows that 2 parent families, regardless of sexual orientation, rear children equal in functionality on a variety of scales, including social, academics, emotional, and sexual. Southern Man has been called on this before and refuses to cite any evidence. He just says it. The evidence proves him wrong.

    Southern Man. Cite your evidence for your position. I and others have already cited our position. Do so, or understand that you are only spewing unsubstantiated opinion. And that and a quarter will get you a stick of gum.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Out of all the posts that I have read of yours about this particular subject I have yet to see you post anything that supports your statement. Without any support from credited scientific resources that has not been debunked your statements are northing more than opinion. Opinion based on no experiance (personal or otherwise) from what I can tell.
    Before you begin to experiment with the lives of children and reject the tried and true formula for raising them I would argue that the burden of proof to try something completely different resides completely on you.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Yes, you believe a mother and father figure is the best was to raise a child (http://www.debatepolitics.com/1057933142-post185.html)

    That doesn't say why. You just state your opinion that is it.
    I'm sorry I thought this was already stated here, but I found it in another thread: A gay guy can't understand a daughter as a mother would, nor could a gay woman understand a son like a father.

  10. #210
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Do you object to gay couples adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Before you begin to experiment with the lives of children and reject the tried and true formula for raising them I would argue that the burden of proof to try something completely different resides completely on you.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/1057847882-post57.html
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/1057847883-post58.html

    Burden of proof complete.

    Your move.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •