View Poll Results: Will America Collapse?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, we are too strong

    10 23.26%
  • Yes, but far in the future

    11 25.58%
  • Yes, and it will be sooner than later

    13 30.23%
  • I don't know but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night

    9 20.93%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: The Five Stages of Collapse

  1. #61
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    13,945

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Yeah. Sure. Next you'll be telling us that he isn't a rapist.

    Liberal...rapist....not much difference.
    If your not going to attempt to be reasonable and objective, then why get on a debate site?

    The contention I made was that communist regimes do not like liberals (Read some of the things Lenin and Mao had to say about them), and that liberalism historically has not lead to Communism. If it did, Canada, Australia, Japan, and all of Western Europe would have gone communist years ago.

    Communist regimes come about after revolutions, not after a nation passes an unemployment extension. Those revolutions are generally in reaction to totalitarian right wing regimes and concentrations of wealth. Whether its the Soviet Union, the PRC, or Vietnam, thats pretty much how it works.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If your not going to attempt to be reasonable and objective, then why get on a debate site?
    I am being reasonable.

    Can't deny that Clinton's a rapist, can ya?

    I mean, with a straight face.

    That's cuz he's a rapist, and liberals loved him.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The contention I made was that communist regimes do not like liberals
    Gee. Funny. I'm sure I saw a post like that around here somewhere. Oh, yeah, there it is.

    I replied to it.

    Pointed out that what the old-time communists didn't like was old-time liberals, which were libertarians in modern terminology, and conservatives, not your garden variety "heck-don't-call-me-a-liberal-and-no-really-don't-call-me-socialist-either-even-though-its-true" of liberal found today infesting college campuses and halls of Congress today in America.

    You did see the post where your oversight was corrected, didn't you?

    You wouldn't want anyone to think that today's liberals, which Lenin would have happily called more of his "useful idiots" are the liberals the communists didn't like, would you? That would be very dishonest.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    (Read some of the things Lenin and Mao had to say about them), and that liberalism historically has not lead to Communism. If it did, Canada, Australia, Japan, and all of Western Europe would have gone communist years ago.
    No, old-style liberalism can't lead to communism. Modern "liberalism" is nothing but a sham hiding the essentially rotten core of socialism....and that can easily turn into communism when the fabric of society is rotted enough.

    Didn't you read your Hayek when you were growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Communist regimes come about after revolutions, not after a nation passes an unemployment extension.
    Nicaragua didn't have a revolution. It merely had a stolen election, and voila they were communist and the American liberals were beside themselves at the thought that a US president would assist the people the communists in Nicaragua displaced.

    Zimbabwe didn't have a revolution, they had an election, and now they're stuck with a major socialist disaster, including funny tin man dictator, that could have been avoided.

    Venezeula has a dictator for life, didn't have a revolution.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Those revolutions are generally in reaction to totalitarian right wing regimes and concentrations of wealth. Whether its the Soviet Union, the PRC, or Vietnam, thats pretty much how it works.
    Except for where it works differently, as pointed out.

  3. #63
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    10-10-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    301

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Nicaragua didn't have a revolution. It merely had a stolen election, and voila they were communist and the American liberals were beside themselves at the thought that a US president would assist the people the communists in Nicaragua displaced.
    You said this in another thread also. The Somoza dynasty rigged elections, stifled free speech, the national guard terrorized the peasantry, the whole administration was horribly corrupt and lacked popular support. How is supporting them or the Contras, who routinely targeted civilians, assisting the people of Nicaragua? Further how exactly was the election stolen by the Sandinistas?

  4. #64
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    That's a good point... I mean, if we really had a 'Free market' form of capitalism, how is it that we can go from a healthy economy, to a recession, to the start of a depression within a 6 month period?
    Expectations. If the pending political situation scares the crap out of those who employ people, people end up unemployed.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Talk View Post
    You said this in another thread also. The Somoza dynasty rigged elections, stifled free speech, the national guard terrorized the peasantry, the whole administration was horribly corrupt and lacked popular support. How is supporting them or the Contras, who routinely targeted civilians, assisting the people of Nicaragua? Further how exactly was the election stolen by the Sandinistas?
    Yeah. The farmers got robbed all around.

    Reagan helped the people of Nicaragua get their country back.

    Reagan, that evil evil man.


    The most evil thing he did? He pushed the Democrats' best friend, the Soviets, off a cliff. What a shame.

    Frankly, I'm not wasting my time digging back thirty years to the disaster that was the Carter administration and doing your homework for you.

    The point made for this thread, the point you didn't refute, was that the commies in Sandanista land STOLE an election and took power without a "revolution" as falsely claimed was necessary by some other person with an organically based refusal to see the threats rampant socialist infection presents to the future freedom and security of Americans.

    I've no idea why the socialists in this country don't move to one of their socialist paradises around the world, why they insist on ruining the one country people used to flee to to escape the disasters that socialism made of their own homelands. Why can't you people move to Cuba, or Mexico? Why do you insist on wrecking the one decent country left in the world, the United States?

  6. #66
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    10-10-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    301

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The point made for this thread, the point you didn't refute, was that the commies in Sandanista land STOLE an election and took power without a "revolution" as falsely claimed was necessary by some other person with an organically based refusal to see the threats rampant socialist infection presents to the future freedom and security of Americans.
    I never refuted it because you never showed me how they stole the election.

    Foreign observers

    The Sandinistas have been at pains to convince the outside world, especially the US, that the elections were free and fair.

    Approximately 400 independent foreign observers, including a number of Americans, were in Nicaragua to monitor proceedings.

    The unofficial British election observer, Lord Chitnis, said proceedings were not perfect but he had no doubt the elections were fair.
    BBC ON THIS DAY | 5 | 1984: Sandinistas claim election victory

    So I ask again, how did they steal the election?


    I've no idea why the socialists in this country don't move to one of their socialist paradises around the world, why they insist on ruining the one country people used to flee to to escape the disasters that socialism made of their own homelands. Why can't you people move to Cuba, or Mexico? Why do you insist on wrecking the one decent country left in the world, the United States?
    I'm sorry that America isn't your own personal fiefdom and people with varying political views live here.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,631

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The most evil thing he did? He pushed the Democrats' best friend, the Soviets, off a cliff. What a shame.
    He really didn't, he just proved that America has a bigger credit limit than the Soviets. He never proved that Democracy is superior to Communism, just that we could spend them into a hole.

    Unfortunately, Reagan set the standard for the next nearly 30 years of Republican Presidents who had no control over their outlandish spending. Fiscal responsibility my ass.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    There are a few key flaws in your analysis, and none of them have to do with what type of government rules in Beijing:

    1) China only opened itself to capitalism, via the Special Economic Zones, in the 1980's. Its capitalism is new, and thus its growth is new.

    2) China's annual growth rate is higher than any nation in the world, at 11.5% annually before the economic downturn, and is predicted to remain at approx. 7.5% through to the end of 2009 (and that is considered a 19 year low!). It has enough internal momentum to sustain large gains as its market is based on real assets.

    3) China's GDP is 24 trillion RMB which equates to approximately $3.5 trillion USD annually. That is nothing to scough at for a "third world" nation.

    4) The per capita GDP that you have provided calculations for is based on population alone. Of course China's will be less, it has a billion and a half people!

    Additionally, your assessment of its command economy is flawed. China, for all intents and purposes, is now a capitalist economy with free enterprise. The government controls very little in terms of business expansion and investment. The Communists largely continue to control social policy in order to prevent the capitalist flow of profit from being disrupted. That is the modern China, and not the one you have described.
    The Government is certainly in complete control of their markets and to suggest that they aren't is willful denial.

    China is a single part Communist Government that permits little in the way of freedom except to those few they deem appropriate to advance their desire to bring in export dollars.

    The relevant item that you need to focus like a laser on is this:

    China's national per capita income reaches $1,740 (08/18/06)

    Carry on. I am amused when people desperately suggest that China is a free market economy and has better growth than any other nation but ignore the slave labor wages they pay and the lack of any environmental controls that the rest of the world's businesses deal with.

    It is an economy that can exist only at the will of it's centralized Government and on the backs of the slave labor it provides the worlds manufacturers.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    He really didn't, he just proved that America has a bigger credit limit than the Soviets. He never proved that Democracy is superior to Communism, just that we could spend them into a hole.

    Unfortunately, Reagan set the standard for the next nearly 30 years of Republican Presidents who had no control over their outlandish spending. Fiscal responsibility my ass.
    With this specious argument you willingly ignore the reason the USA could outspend the Soviet Union. It happened as a result that the centralized bureaucracy of the Soviet Union was unable to even feed it's people due to their complete control over all means of production; which in effect caused it's failure and collapse.

    Carry on. I could go more in depth with this and use citations, but you would only ignore them in your desperate denial that the primary reason the Soviet Union collapsed was under the immense weight of the Government Bureaucracy and the failure of Communist centralized control of all facets of their economy.

  10. #70
    Guru
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Plano
    Last Seen
    03-17-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,062

    Re: The Five Stages of Collapse

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    America has a bigger credit limit than the Soviets. He never proved that Democracy is superior to Communism, just that we could spend them into a hole.
    Reexamine that statement.

    The reason the US could financially break the back of the USSR is because
    democracy is superior to communism. Incentive based economies will always be better off because there are incentives to do better, build more efficiently, to advance your station. If 3 related positions pay the same but require different levels of work then what is the incentive to take the hardest job?
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marvel-war-of-heroes/id536478373?mt=8
    iphone or ipad game

    Use Referral code bfg861256 for a free rare card.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •