View Poll Results: Where does racism come from?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • From parents

    18 45.00%
  • From environment

    17 42.50%
  • Lack of education

    16 40.00%
  • Instinct promoting similar genes to yourself

    5 12.50%
  • Other (post reply)

    17 42.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: Where does racism come from?

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Seen
    11-06-10 @ 11:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,001

    Where does racism come from?

    Listening to Obama's recitation of "Dreams from my Father", I began thinking about where racism comes from. Thusfar, all I have heard in popular culture is that "racism is ignorant/stupid". That statement does not explain where it comes from, only an opinion on its existence.

    So where does it come from?
    Last edited by FreeThinker; 12-12-08 at 02:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
    So where does it come from?
    I think it comes from a plethora of sources, but mostly a desire to feel superior to another person.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #3
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    Also, upbringing. If your parents always tell you that blacks are a bunch of lazy niggers that are always looking for a handout, that'll most likely be your opinion of black people.

    I'd also say part of it is that people like having scapegoats, and another group is a great scapegoat.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  4. #4
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Seen
    11-06-10 @ 11:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Also, upbringing. If your parents always tell you that blacks are a bunch of lazy niggers that are always looking for a handout, that'll most likely be your opinion of black people.

    I'd also say part of it is that people like having scapegoats, and another group is a great scapegoat.
    Hrm... I never thought of it like that -> projecting your own failures onto some large group of "them", them being something ambiguous and not clearly defined.

  5. #5
    Your Huckleberry
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in VR
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,360

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    I always thought that racism came from evolution. From tribal instincts regarding "us vs them" or "the famaliar vs the other."

    There is security in being part of the "us" and a sense of unity that comes from scapegoating your problems onto "them."
    Who left the fridge open?

  6. #6
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    09-24-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    I had to go with other for this, all of the choices make sense above it, but I really think it can be anything, including a single choice above or combination of the above choices. Racism is an prejudicial hatred of an entire group of those not of the same racial makeup, but it is formed through perception, so who knows what forms those perceptions in any given individual. Also there is the concept now of people being labeled racist because they simply criticize a behavior that is stereotypical of a race, such as the hip-hop/rap style of dress/behavior, it may not be a racist perception, but rather a charecter call based on the reputation the dress/behavior has recieved and not necessarily the ethnicity of the person sporting it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #7
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    09-24-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I'd also say part of it is that people like having scapegoats, and another group is a great scapegoat.
    Logically, that would make sense as a reason as well. Also, I think there is the possibility that some groups may feel that their experiences are the norm, especially older people within the black ethnicity that grew up with the segregation of the south, I could see someone being angry and bitter about something like that and their perception that people of the oppressing race are all like that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    Racism is just one of a plethora of ways humans have divided themselves into groupings. Its just based on a physical aspect, that has no qualifying reasoning behind it. But people "reason" themselves into all sorts of little social cliques, decrying all the others as wrong/inferior etc...
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  9. #9
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Seen
    11-06-10 @ 11:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I had to go with other for this, all of the choices make sense above it, but I really think it can be anything, including a single choice above or combination of the above choices. Racism is an prejudicial hatred of an entire group of those not of the same racial makeup, but it is formed through perception, so who knows what forms those perceptions in any given individual. Also there is the concept now of people being labeled racist because they simply criticize a behavior that is stereotypical of a race, such as the hip-hop/rap style of dress/behavior, it may not be a racist perception, but rather a charecter call based on the reputation the dress/behavior has recieved and not necessarily the ethnicity of the person sporting it.
    THAT is a key point about racism that bothers me - how do I respond to an unethical, amoral person (who by chance is not white) without being a racist?

    If I said "Jessie Jackson is a poverty pimp and an idiot" at some water cooler in some office building, I'm fairly sure any white people that heard it would say "wooahhhhh racist!", a response I don't think I would get from an actual black person.

  10. #10
    Your Huckleberry
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in VR
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,360

    Re: Where does racism come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
    THAT is a key point about racism that bothers me - how do I respond to an unethical, amoral person (who by chance is not white) without being a racist?

    If I said "Jessie Jackson is a poverty pimp and an idiot" at some water cooler in some office building, I'm fairly sure any white people that heard it would say "wooahhhhh racist!", a response I don't think I would get from an actual black person.
    IMO if someone takes your insult about the character of an individual, and makes some kind of non-sequitur connection between that insult (that makes no racial reference whatsoever) and some kind of insult regarding that individual's racial group.... IMO the person making the non-sequitur leap is racist in a sense.

    Not in a hateful sense against the group they'd have thought they were defending, but by having a knee-jerk reaction at an insult between two people of different races and assuming that any insult for the reasons stated but due to unstated racial bigotry, without reason.

    Simply put: If to you a white person cannot insult a black person without it being a racial issue, YOU have racial issues because sometimes, race just isn't a factor.
    Last edited by Lachean; 12-12-08 at 03:38 PM.
    Who left the fridge open?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •