View Poll Results: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wont

    44 84.62%
  • It'll make me want to divorce my partner

    8 15.38%
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 311

Thread: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

  1. #1
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,544

    How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    One of the reasons cited by opponents of gay marriage is the effect it'll have on marriage in America. That has got me wondering. How will gay marriage affect the marriages of those who oppose it. Will it make them want to divorce their partner because they feel their marriage is no longer as valid as it was before gay people were allowed to marry? Or will nothing change?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #2
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    I dunno, but the fact that heterosexuals are allowed to marry each other completely invalidates my relationship with my boyfriend and renders it absolutely meaningless.

  3. #3
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    If the legalization of homosexual marriage makes a person want to divorce their spouse, what possible motivation could there be for such an act except that they themselves are homosexual?

    Makes me wonder how many of these anti-homosexual activists are secretly afraid that their spouses are playing for the other team.

  4. #4
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    If the legalization of homosexual marriage makes a person want to divorce their spouse, what possible motivation could there be for such an act except that they themselves are homosexual?

    Makes me wonder how many of these anti-homosexual activists are secretly afraid that their spouses are playing for the other team.
    Well if would not effect me but theoretically they could believe it cheapens the holy union of marriage and not want to be associated with state sanctioned marriage.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #5
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Well if would not effect me but theoretically they could believe it cheapens the holy union of marriage and not want to be associated with state sanctioned marriage.
    I think how easily we allow people out of state-sanctioned marriage does far more to cheapen the institution than allowing more people in ever could.

    Of course, part of the problem is that these people seem to believe that the government has some authority over that which is sacred; if they better understood the difference between what is legal and what is sacred, I believe this issue would be far less controversial.

  6. #6
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I think how easily we allow people out of state-sanctioned marriage does far more to cheapen the institution than allowing more people in ever could.

    Of course, part of the problem is that these people seem to believe that the government has some authority over that which is sacred; if they better understood the difference between what is legal and what is sacred, I believe this issue would be far less controversial.
    I agree with that.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-02-08 at 02:35 AM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,230

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Well if would not effect me but theoretically they could believe it cheapens the holy union of marriage and not want to be associated with state sanctioned marriage.
    Male and female satanist can and do get married in any state of this of the great UNION called the United States of America.

  8. #8
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    lol. The poll choices are ridiculous. C'mon Hatuey. At least try to make it appear like this is a legitimate poll.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #9
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Male and female satanist can and do get married in any state of this of the great UNION called the United States of America.
    Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #10
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Makes me wonder how many of these anti-homosexual activists are secretly afraid that their spouses are playing for the other team.
    A pretty sizable number of anti-homosexual activists are playing for the other team themselves.





    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •