View Poll Results: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wont

    44 84.62%
  • It'll make me want to divorce my partner

    8 15.38%
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 311

Thread: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

  1. #81
    Student Eko Ren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bedford Stuyvesant
    Last Seen
    08-28-10 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    253

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    To claim that the endeavors of people that you do not know nor interact with in any way discloses a very high degree of insecurity.

    If people believe that gay marriage compromises the legitimacy of marriage on religious grounds, then hardly anyone in a society that is so liberal about premarital and anal sex is married at all.

  2. #82
    Sportbike Fanatic
    rsixing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-25-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The real question is;

    If we live in a free country why is the government interfering in marriage at all?
    Because if the government states homosexual marriage is legal it will suddenly and miraculously be accepted by every person across the width and breadth of this nation.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,627

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The real question is;

    If we live in a free country why is the government interfering in marriage at all?
    What makes you think it's interfering at all? It's RELIGION that is interfering with marriage, not the government.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  4. #84
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-08-16 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    What makes you think it's interfering at all? It's RELIGION that is interfering with marriage, not the government.
    Are you serious?
    Did you miss the part where government is giving benefits based on a person's marital status which is a personal decision?

  5. #85
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,627

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Are you serious?
    Did you miss the part where government is giving benefits based on a person's marital status which is a personal decision?
    Yes because married people tend to be better for the economy and the society. There is a higher likelihood of home ownership for married people, thus increasing the tax base and married people tend to have more disposable income, thus strengthening the economy. Married people also, at least traditionally, have tended to be more stable, building stronger communities. That's why the government gives them financial incentives to get married, because married people do more to financially strengthen the country.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  6. #86
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    That whole quote said nothing to me. It was a bunch of words. I think possibly it was saying there's wisdom in prejudice, but it failed to show the other side where there's stupidity, and a yearning to hold onto things that are unjust for the sake of tradition. Tradition in and of itself is many times just a bunch of crap that people have done for a very long time for no reason.
    Of course it said little to you, you are a liberal they care only for their individual scheming.Tradition and habit are the wisdom of the ages, one or even a whole generation cannot comprehend the complexity of society and therefore should not presume to completely remake it. Even if a tradition seems completely stupid to you, you can't lnow exactly what its role in society is or what the effects of completely removing it quickly will do to other parts and traditions in society. Hence you should be cautious in such changes and not rely on your individual reason alone.

    Amazingly you claim to be slightly conservative at yet you are arguing against one of the two or three key pillars of conservatism.
    Every now and then society needs a little shaking up, it keeps things more interesting.
    That is what the Jacobins and Bolsheviks thought.

    I don't see how gay marriage will rip society apart. Please explain.
    I don't think it will if treated with caution, I support it when the people want it. I'm just arguing against the world view and methods of some of its other supporters
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-03-08 at 06:21 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Of course allowing gays to marry won't have any effect on my marriage. It would, however, affect the society I live in because the last bastion of legalized descrimation and bigotry would have been leglislated away. The result? A better society.

    I'm truly ashamed of my fellow California voters.
    If gay marriage were born out of enlightenment instead of the moral immaturity of a declining society I might agree.

  8. #88
    Student Makedde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tangled In Jon's Carpet Of Chest Hair
    Last Seen
    06-05-09 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    219

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If gay marriage were born out of enlightenment instead of the moral immaturity of a declining society I might agree.
    Prove that gay marriage will cause the 'moral decline' of society.

  9. #89
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,030

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If gay marriage were born out of enlightenment instead of the moral immaturity of a declining society I might agree.
    How do you know which one it is?

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If gay marriage were born out of enlightenment instead of the moral immaturity of a declining society I might agree.
    So you think that America is an immature and declining society? Why do you love the terrorists?

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •