View Poll Results: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wont

    44 84.62%
  • It'll make me want to divorce my partner

    8 15.38%
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 311

Thread: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

  1. #41
    Horrible Bastard
    Doc Howl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    12-24-08 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,076

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So for over 2000 years, everyone was wrong.

    Yep. Not for the first time, either.
    Cet Asshat est mechant; on l'attaque, il se defende.

  2. #42
    Horrible Bastard
    Doc Howl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    12-24-08 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,076

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Well if would not effect me but theoretically they could believe it cheapens the holy union of marriage and not want to be associated with state sanctioned marriage.

    So let them get divorced, if their need for a tantrum is that strong.
    Cet Asshat est mechant; on l'attaque, il se defende.

  3. #43
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Howl View Post
    So let them get divorced, if their need for a tantrum is that strong.
    Or you know let them do what they think is right.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #44
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Howl View Post
    Yep. Not for the first time, either.
    ( 136) You see, Sir, that in this enlightened age I am bold enough to confess that we are generally men of untaught feelings, that, instead of casting away all our old prejudices, we cherish them to a very considerable degree, and, to take more shame to ourselves, we cherish them because they are prejudices; and the longer they have lasted and the more generally they have prevailed, the more we cherish them. We are afraid to put men to live and trade each on his own private stock of reason, because we suspect that this stock in each man is small, and that the individuals would do better to avail themselves of the general bank and capital of nations and of ages. Many of our men of speculation, instead of exploding general prejudices, employ their sagacity to discover the latent wisdom which prevails in them. If they find what they seek, and they seldom fail, they think it more wise to continue the prejudice, with the reason involved, than to cast away the coat of prejudice and to leave nothing but the naked reason; because prejudice, with its reason, has a motive to give action to that reason, and an affection which will give it permanence. Prejudice is of ready application in the emergency; it previously engages the mind in a steady course of wisdom and virtue and does not leave the man hesitating in the moment of decision sceptical, puzzled, and unresolved. Prejudice renders a man's virtue his habit, and not a series of unconnected acts. Through just prejudice, his duty becomes a part of his nature.
    Edmund Burke.

    Forgive me if I do not share your confidence in your reason or your wish to rip apart society on your own trivial scheming.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-02-08 at 08:23 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #45
    Horrible Bastard
    Doc Howl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    12-24-08 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,076

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Forgive me if I do not share your confidence in your reason or your wish to rip apart society on your own trivial scheming.
    Once again you dodge the argument you can't refute (equal protection of law), with another irrelevant quote.

    You pseudo-intellectuals are funny.
    Cet Asshat est mechant; on l'attaque, il se defende.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    I find the topic of this question amazingly contradictory given some of the posters here and their views on other boards.

    I'm not married, but on a larger level question it is "how would gay marriage affect my life?"

    I don't see that as the question at all! And contradiction is that on other boards they rage about abortion rights, when whether someone else gets an abortion or not doesn't affect their lives, family or children at all. So its pick a cause to crusade for.

    In this, I then see the question as the exact opposite. "How would gay marriages positively affect my life?" If they won't, give me any reason to support gay marriage?

    I should support gay marriages because gays have a grievance? Why should I care? SERIOUSLY, why should I care? I can name dozens of greater injustices is this country alone that gay marriage and some of those do affect me.

    Gays WANT something from me - they WANT my vote. WHY, what's in it for me, to do so? What is in it for any non-gay to do so -unless some day they come to realize that really - after all - they never were attracted to all those of the opposite sex they had sex (and children) with because actually their dna tells them they don't have any attraction at all to the opposite sex.

    Since I am very confident I am not confused that I enjoy heterosexual sex, give me any, any reason for my sake to give you what gays want from me? It is the person wanting the change with the burden.

  7. #47
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Howl View Post
    Once again you dodge the argument you can't refute (equal protection of law), with another irrelevant quote.

    You pseudo-intellectuals are funny.
    Who said I disagree with equal protection under the law? I'm not arguing against gay marriage, I'm arguing against your view of society, your route to implement your chosen social policy, your extreme rationalism and your extreme universalism and egalitarianism.

    Again you dodge the argument you can't refute(the danger of trusting gov't to unaccountable centralised elites.) and come back with another irrelevant quote. Why should I trust my life and society to the judgement of you and a few judicial dictators in making law and social policy? Abitrary power is to be fought. I repeat I support gay marriage, I just object to the dangerous tactics and arguments that some liberals are willing to use.

    You pseudo-intellectuals are funny.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-02-08 at 08:53 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    How it could affect marriage?

    A man (opposite gender analogy also could work) could find the burdens of family life heavy and announce:

    Hey! I just realized down at the gay bar where I was partying without a care in the world, that my dna says that really I never wanted or enjoyed sex with any of those women before marriage, certainly never wanted sex with my wife because actually I'm sexually replused by women sexually, so I just have to divorce, marry Butch, and go to court for custody of my children declaring the judge a homophobic bigot if he won't give them to me just because I'm gay.

    That could be an example of harming a marriage. "Gayness" is a vastly convenient excuse to abandon all parental and relationship responsibilities already established when that life is being replaced with a live on the "high-moral-level" or morality measured in obtaining sex-pleasure. And then having the pre-set excuse of being helplessly gay but confused on sexual orientation - raging at anyone criticizing the abandonment as being homophobic bigots.

    Another prospect is it doubles the number of people that might take away my spouse and father of my children (theoretical - I'm not married) to take my husband for himself. Thus, it could be argued that gay marriage exactly doubles the chance of a divorce.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 04:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    How it could affect marriage?

    A man (opposite gender analogy also could work) could find the burdens of family life heavy and announce:

    Hey! I just realized down at the gay bar where I was partying without a care in the world, that my dna says that really I never wanted or enjoyed sex with any of those women before marriage, certainly never wanted sex with my wife because actually I'm sexually replused by women sexually, so I just have to divorce, marry Butch, and go to court for custody of my children declaring the judge a homophobic bigot if he won't give them to me just because I'm gay.

    That could be an example of harming a marriage. "Gayness" is a vastly convenient excuse to abandon all parental and relationship responsibilities already established when that life is being replaced with a live on the "high-moral-level" or morality measured in obtaining sex-pleasure. And then having the pre-set excuse of being helplessly gay but confused on sexual orientation - raging at anyone criticizing the abandonment as being homophobic bigots.

    Another prospect is it doubles the number of people that might take away my spouse and father of my children (theoretical - I'm not married) to take my husband for himself. Thus, it could be argued that gay marriage exactly doubles the chance of a divorce.


    That's... a pretty strange philosophy, Bonnie.
    And if you're an actual feminist- as in, belonging to feminist organizations such as NOW and NARAL- then I'm sure you're aware that we have a somewhat symbiotic relationship with gays and their organizations. Gays have done a lot to help advance women's rights, and we owe it to them to help advance their causes.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If no one is claiming that gay marriage will harm their own personal marriage, why ask?
    Well, if harming the 'institution of marriage' won't have any consequences, then why not allow gay marriage?

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •