View Poll Results: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wont

    44 84.62%
  • It'll make me want to divorce my partner

    8 15.38%
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 311

Thread: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

  1. #261
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Mine of course.

    Seriously, it's about communication. When someone presents something in a factual way, when it is not, I feel it is my obligation, when I see it, to point it out.
    And basically agree with it a few posts later?

    And I'm not saying anything different.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #262
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,668

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    And basically agree with it a few posts later?
    Presentation is key. I say this all the time.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #263
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Presentation is key. I say this all the time.
    I'm very good at presenting, or so I've been told......
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #264
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,668

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I'm very good at presenting, or so I've been told......
    Well, since it was your post I confronted...
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #265
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I dunno, but the fact that heterosexuals are allowed to marry each other completely invalidates my relationship with my boyfriend and renders it absolutely meaningless.
    I am not sure what you mean.

  6. #266
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer View Post
    I am not sure what you mean.
    It's humor
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    OK, but I've debunked your sample in post #192, so I'm not sure what water your position holds.

    I am compartamentalizing the argument in order to go along with the parameters of the thread. However, you are correct in that there are numerous benefits to marriage that have nothing to do with child rearing. And I am uninterested in Loving or Skinner. You, yourself have said, many times that they do not pertain to the gay-marriage issue. Further, information shows that children reared in two-parent households, of any combination perform similarly, functionwise. Biology is not a prerequisite to this success.

    OK, I stand corrected. You did present it as your opinion. And I showed how your opinion lacks foundation.

    You stated this in the post I am quoting...I bolded the important part:

    You are referring to procreation in marriage. This has been part of the argument, and continues to be.

    The fallacy in your argument is that children brought up in families without both of their biological parents is inherently dysfunctional. This is not accurate. You have offered no evidence that this is true. Conversely, evidence shows that children brought up in two parent households for any configuration succeed, similarly. I have presented this evidence in several threads in the past, threads that you have participated in, Jerry.

    I agree, that it is only part of the deal. And there are other reasons that have nothing to do with child rearing that would disqualify incest and polygamy.

    The pro-gm position is about a combination of things, but I'm curious as to what you mean by "legitimizing the gay identity". Please explain.
    I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage, Capt'n, as I am once again under restricted access to the internet.

    A few points:
    • You did not show how my opinion lacks foundation as you did not explain how the primal drive to reproduce with the same gender is congruent with the actual functions of the reproductive organs;
    • I argued against the step-parent dynamic specifically, not against non-biological parentsí per-se. You did not address that point.
    • Please give the reasons to ban polygamy and incest in the absence of procreation. I'm particularly interested in the incest aspect, because if we don't have close relatives perpetuating genetic errors through generations of inbreeding, then we are left with 2 consenting adults no different than any other, no?
    • How many gay couples are there in the US? Of this number, how many have children. Of that number, how many are adopted and how many live in a step-parent home?
    • I look forward to having enough time to give more detail on my claim that the pro-gm argument is about legitimizing the gay identity in the public eye, and little or nothing about assisting children.

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    How will gay marriage affect your marriage?
    Another thought:

    I have long argued that my problem with gay marriage is not the idea of same-sex marriage itself, but of the sociological ansestor it comes from, which it shares with abortion and other issues.

    This common ansestor being hyper-indivigualism, which brakes down core social pillers without improving or replacing them.

    Hyper-indivigualism is principly responcable for the failure of my marriage. Practiced by my wife and I both at diferent times, it is a mindset and ideology which is distructive to everyone and everything it touches.

    Having aquired an objective view, a recent counsoler confermed to me that my wife views marriage as being as expendable as clothing.

    At no point in either 2 times my wife and I exchanged vowes, nore when we signed the marriage licince, was our marriage defigned as an "at will" agrement.

    To the contrery, our marriage was spicificly to last "until death"; the only accepted means out while both partys still lived being abuse or adultery, neither of which were present in our marriage.

    Hyper-indivigualism removes the comitment, obligation and sence of duty from marriage by eroding away the idea of "until death" and replaceing it with "at will".

    This is also strongly aperant in nearly all pro-abortion arguments, even going so far as to argue that the father should be relieved from financhial obligation if he so choses.

    I've said this before on this thread but it bears repeating: I have little if any problem with gay-marriage when I look at it in a vaccume, but it's not in a vaccume and today stands to promote damaging behaviors.

    Gay-marriage promotes the same mindset and behavior which distroied my family, so I opose gay-marriage.


    *Normaly I edit my posts to the best of my ability, but the computer I'm using today has no word program of any kind. Please bear with.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-12-08 at 04:40 PM.

  9. #269
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    09-23-16 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And yet the human race survived for hundreds of thousands of years without marriage. Wonder how they did that

    I mean... I wonder how people survive who AREN'T married. It boggles the mind.
    We have become civilized, more or less, most of us...
    Marriage is but a religious institution, with the state making it official. As such, the homosexuals will have to pipe down or do something different (state unions ?)

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And yet the human race survived for hundreds of thousands of years without marriage. Wonder how they did that

    I mean... I wonder how people survive who AREN'T married. It boggles the mind.
    I suppose if I shared your wish to eliminate one of a few social institutions which makes Man better then every other animal, and merly survive as oposed to dominate the planet, this would appear to be a relivent point.

    But I don't, so it isn't.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •