View Poll Results: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wont

    44 84.62%
  • It'll make me want to divorce my partner

    8 15.38%
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 311

Thread: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

  1. #231
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,086

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I'm not opposed to homosexual couples getting married. In fact, I encourage it, especially if they're planning on raising children.
    Shouldn't we check with everyone else in the world first?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  2. #232
    Student Eko Ren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bedford Stuyvesant
    Last Seen
    08-28-10 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    253

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Shouldn't we check with everyone else in the world first?
    And why would it be any of their concern?

  3. #233
    Student Makedde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tangled In Jon's Carpet Of Chest Hair
    Last Seen
    06-05-09 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    219

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How do you explain it?
    How do you explain the fact you are straight? Your answer would be my answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Shouldn't we check with everyone else in the world first?
    What does everyone in the world have to do with MY life?

  4. #234
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Here it seems you are trying to further compartmentalize the various functions of marriage. Both Loving and Skinner refer to marriage as critical to human survival, and in context they were not merely referring to children being raised, but consieved in marriage.

    It is a package deal.
    And yet the human race survived for hundreds of thousands of years without marriage. Wonder how they did that

    I mean... I wonder how people survive who AREN'T married. It boggles the mind.

  5. #235
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eko Ren View Post
    Biologically, I would assume.
    Not really no. It's psychological. And there is no such thing as a biological error. Nature has no overlord master plan; mistakes are relative (to purpose or goal). And since there is no inherent purpose or goal in life, there is nothing to propose homosexuallity is an 'error' against. If a specie goes extinct, it only fails occording to human made, subjective standards.

    Anticipating reproduction. No. The purpose in life is not even reproduction. That's merely the reality. Nature isn't some entity that before life began decided "Ok, I'am gonna make some creatures, and I want them to reproduce and eat and etc". No, It just occured by incidence. If every living thing stopped reproducing and everything went extinct, what natural 'plan' has failed? There was no plan.

    By the way, gays can reproduce (I don't know if you knew).
    Last edited by Unrein; 12-05-08 at 10:17 PM.

  6. #236
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Prove that if one is born homosexual it is a biological error,
    He can't, it just makes his intolerance sound justified.

    Even though he can't explain why (even if it were a biological error) that means they can't get married.

    Is sterility a biological error by your (Jerry) standards? Does that in any way translate to "Deny rights"? No.

  7. #237
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And yet the human race survived for hundreds of thousands of years without marriage. Wonder how they did that
    Generally they did it within a society with its own complex bonds, institutions, associations, functions, ideas, statuses, beliefs and roles. Just as ours has.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #238
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,944

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If that were true, then all partners who have no children would be denied marriage licenses.

    Try again.
    No, my statement is accurate. Promoting child rearing is the purpose. However, the government cannot predict whether children will or will not be a result of the union. There are also other purposes, however, for the parameters of this discussion, child rearing is the key one.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #239
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,944

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I've already given a sample of supporting evidence in post 192, and while I may be willing to give additional examples, I have no interest in trying to conclusively prove beyond a reasonable doubt my position in this light weight thread.
    OK, but I've debunked your sample in post #192, so I'm not sure what water your position holds.

    Here it seems you are trying to further compartmentalize the various functions of marriage. Both Loving and Skinner refer to marriage as critical to human survival, and in context they were not merely referring to children being raised, but consieved in marriage.

    It is a package deal.
    I am compartamentalizing the argument in order to go along with the parameters of the thread. However, you are correct in that there are numerous benefits to marriage that have nothing to do with child rearing. And I am uninterested in Loving or Skinner. You, yourself have said, many times that they do not pertain to the gay-marriage issue. Further, information shows that children reared in two-parent households, of any combination perform similarly, functionwise. Biology is not a prerequisite to this success.

    I never claimed that the study identified errors.

    I said that I interpreted the differences illustrated in the study as errors, ie; my opinion.

    I hope you can see the difference there.
    OK, I stand corrected. You did present it as your opinion. And I showed how your opinion lacks foundation.

    This does not address any point of my argument.
    You stated this in the post I am quoting...I bolded the important part:

    Both Loving and Skinner refer to marriage as critical to human survival, and in context they were not merely referring to children being raised, but consieved in marriage.
    You are referring to procreation in marriage. This has been part of the argument, and continues to be.

    The typical child raised by gays being equal too children coming from the 50%+ dysfunctional hetero homes is hardly a convincing argument, even if simply raising children were the only element composing a marriage, since the 50%+ dysfunctional homes are another problem. All your saying here is that gay marriage would perpetuate existing dysfunctions. Your point here is at best benign.
    The fallacy in your argument is that children brought up in families without both of their biological parents is inherently dysfunctional. This is not accurate. You have offered no evidence that this is true. Conversely, evidence shows that children brought up in two parent households for any configuration succeed, similarly. I have presented this evidence in several threads in the past, threads that you have participated in, Jerry.

    As I said, which you chose to ignore before and will thus likely choose to ignore again here: raising children is a part of the deal, only a part, and does not-in-and-of-itself justify allowing a given marriage lest we also allow incest and polygamy.
    I agree, that it is only part of the deal. And there are other reasons that have nothing to do with child rearing that would disqualify incest and polygamy.

    This entire exchange miss-assumes that the gay marriage movement is based on what is best for children and families.

    This is of course not the case, as the pro-gm argument is about legitimizing the gay identity in the public eye. Sex and sexuality is the priority issue, financial benefits second. Children and family take a very distant 3rd place when they're even considered at all.

    If the main pro-gm argument were about children and families first, with all else barely mentioned and considered incidental, I would be far more likely to support gay marriage.
    The pro-gm position is about a combination of things, but I'm curious as to what you mean by "legitimizing the gay identity". Please explain.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #240
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,944

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How do you explain it?
    The same way I would explain heterosexuality.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •