View Poll Results: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wont

    44 84.62%
  • It'll make me want to divorce my partner

    8 15.38%
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 311

Thread: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I think allowing homosexuals to marry each other, especially if they intend to raise children together, is preferable to requiring them to stay single or enter into marriages of convenience with opposite-sex partners.
    I only care about couples with children. I donít have the slightest regard for couples without children, gay or striate.

    Anyone with pre-existing children who marry same or opposite gender is establishing the step-parent dynamic, which is a leading cause of second divorces.
    Anyone, gay or straight, with pre-existing children should not marry until the children are grown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    And of the 2 core purposes of marriage, homosexual marriage fulfills the other just as well as heterosexual marriage does.
    This is only a satisfactory line of reasoning if you choose to compartmentalize and divide the social organ that marriage is; which of course makes the organ dysfunctional and unable to perform it's function for the greater social organism.

    Marriage is not about 1 and maybe the other if we feel like it...it's about both together.

  2. #172
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,230

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

    Anyone with pre-existing children who marry same or opposite gender is establishing the step-parent dynamic, which is a leading cause of second divorces.
    Anyone, gay or straight, with pre-existing children should not marry until the children are grown.

    My soon to be step son would disagree with you.

  3. #173
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    But you know that is not the main argument. The main argument has nothing to do with putting children first, and everything to do with legitimizing a self identity. This is supposed to be accomplished in the teen years, not in adulthood and not through the courts.
    You are, of course, correct. This argument, like seemingly every other argument in American politics, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the important issues underlying it-- and everything to do with which political football team you root for.

    Sometimes, I think this country is just too stupid for democracy.

  4. #174
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Of course it said little to you, you are a liberal they care only for their individual scheming.Tradition and habit are the wisdom of the ages, one or even a whole generation cannot comprehend the complexity of society and therefore should not presume to completely remake it. Even if a tradition seems completely stupid to you, you can't lnow exactly what its role in society is or what the effects of completely removing it quickly will do to other parts and traditions in society. Hence you should be cautious in such changes and not rely on your individual reason alone.
    I lean towards social liberalism, but didn't always. I used to be against "Gay Marriage", and if you dig around at old posts you might see me talking against it.

    I grew up Democrat, and voted that way till I was in my middle 20's then I switched. My grandfather raised me and he was a big traditionalist when it was a tradition he admired or liked, and that's how we all are. I like marriage the way it is, with the bride being female, and the groom being male both heterosexual. But.....as has been stated at some point two gays could marry if they are opposite sexes, and who'd be the wiser. This is still going to be a mockery of the institution as it stands if it's not amended. Maybe that's what the gays should start doing, upheave the status quo. Marry, have kids, maybe let the real partner move in, and this would all be quite sorded. We are making upstanding individuals live their lives in unnecessary ways to accomodate an old, and what seems to be tired, tradition. Marriage just isn't what it used to be. To me it's just a bunch of showy nonsense. Most people have a tough time staying monogamous throughout the length of a long marriage, so the times they have already changed, and the gays didn't do it, the straights did it to themselves, by themselves.

    Amazingly you claim to be slightly conservative at yet you are arguing against one of the two or three key pillars of conservatism.
    That is what the Jacobins and Bolsheviks thought.
    I suspect that was in a very different climate than the one we have today. The government was oppressive. You have to look at the situations that led to these thought processes becoming popular. The rich were so excessive it was ridiculous, and the poor barely had enough to eat, and usually didn't.

    I don't think it will if treated with caution, I support it when the people want it. I'm just arguing against the world view and methods of some of its other supporters
    What is the world view, and the aggressive supporters sometimes are the overboard types, but that's usually got an element of mob psychology to it and wouldn't represent the whole of the gay community. Most gays I have known are just like everybody else, there's no huge difference. They deserve to be happy like everybody else in this short lifetime we all share.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,631

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    So you have changed your position from

    "What makes you think government is interfering in marriage?"

    to

    "Government has a good reason to interfere in marriage."?

    ok....
    No. how can government be interfering in something that it generally is in charge of? Marriage is a political institution, not a religious one.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  6. #176
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,631

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    that's not my concern. what I want to know is, what does society gain from allowing gays to get married?
    Equality for all, as guaranteed by the founding documents of our country.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  7. #177
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,631

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    oh really? when the majority doesn't want it, as seen in california?
    Unfortunately, when you allow the people to be outright lied to, as happened in California, it's hard to have a fair vote. The pro-8 people got a lot of money to make hysterical commercials about things that Proposition 8 didn't even address and weren't true to begin with, in general they got to claim the sky was falling if people voted against the proposition.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #178
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,631

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    marriage is the union of a man and a woman. marriage is available to everyone regardless of sexual orientation.
    And at one time, marriage was the union of a man and a woman of the same color. Most people regard that as a quaint notion today, one that is ludicrous and irrational in a more enlightened time.

    You cannot logically defend your view, it's simply a blind statement of fact without any evidence that it's actually true.

    Try again.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  9. #179
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    How am I supposed to know?
    You're the one that brought it up, surely you have some sort of explanation as to why you think it's a "biological error."

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    An error of a biological nature.
    Der der derrrrrr. Brilliant, Einstein.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Gay marriage is not a basic right, so there is nothing to deny.
    Why should we deny people ANYTHING based on something they have no control over? Even if it IS a biological error, what does it have to do with marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I would support that, yes, for the exact same reason I oppose incest.

    1 of the 2 core purposes of marriage is to promote procreation if healthy children. Gays, hemophiliacs and familial couples cannot do this.

    And no, gay couples cannot reproduce any more than an infertile couple can. And yes, infertility is grounds for divorce.
    But you don't support banning infertile people from getting married in the first place? If not, why not?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-04-08 at 01:57 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #180
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Equality for all, as guaranteed by the founding documents of our country.
    gays are already treated equally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Unfortunately, when you allow the people to be outright lied to, as happened in California, it's hard to have a fair vote. The pro-8 people got a lot of money to make hysterical commercials about things that Proposition 8 didn't even address and weren't true to begin with, in general they got to claim the sky was falling if people voted against the proposition.
    so when the majority votes a way you don't like, it's not "fair." you can see why that's difficult to argue with?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You cannot logically defend your view, it's simply a blind statement of fact without any evidence that it's actually true.
    Try again.
    I cannot logically defend my view, remember?

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •