View Poll Results: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wont

    44 84.62%
  • It'll make me want to divorce my partner

    8 15.38%
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 311

Thread: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

  1. #141
    Student Eko Ren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bedford Stuyvesant
    Last Seen
    08-28-10 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    253

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Sorry mate, just trying to twist his argument - although there isn't really any need, is there, given that he can't answer a simple question.
    Cheers, dear, it's just that conservatives, in my experience, tend to jump all over crap like that and convolute an issue... especially when they're clearly wrong...

    ...hahaha, no offense M-, just being a bastard.

  2. #142
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eko Ren View Post
    I wish no one brought racial issues into this.

    You haven't answered half of my questions, M-. Giving in?
    I'm trying to keep up with you, cristina, kandahar et al. patience jedi.

  3. #143
    Student Eko Ren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bedford Stuyvesant
    Last Seen
    08-28-10 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    253

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    I notice you didn't highlight the definition that negated your entire argument.
    Well, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the language, but in English, each definition of a word stands on its own. Would you like me to go back and edit it to make you feel better? (You'll still be wrong.)

    why don't you just tell me what it is, to save time?
    It's a "civil union", or much like a corporate partnership, it's a merger, if you will, between two families.

    Of course, it clusters individuals into more manageable and functional familial structures, but economically speaking, it also serves to balance, inflate, and sustain legacies.

    One way or another, if you'll notice, it's still all very irrelevant to sexual orientation.

  4. #144
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eko Ren View Post
    ...but anyway, you get the point. The fact is that marriage shouldn't be confined to any sort of relationship. It raises the question as to what is legitimate in a society that has abandoned most of these archaic restrictions.
    The question should be raised, because it is a question that is necessary for a functional society to be able to answer.

    The State recognizes marriages and extends them all manner of legal and financial privileges for a reason; when discussing who should and who should not be allowed to marry, it is only logical that we stop and consider what that reason is, so that we can determine whether or not extending those privileges serves society's purposes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Gay people cannot marry the consenting adult of their choice.
    Neither can straight people, if the consenting adult of their choice is their first cousin (in most States). Nor if either of the consenting adults is currently married. Not to mention all of the bureaucratic hoops one must jump through if the consenting adult of their choice is a foreigner.

    Really, there are quite a number of limits on the consenting adults one can legally marry-- and they are all based on the notion that since the State extends legal benefits to marriage, the State has the right to impose whatever limitations on marriage as it sees fit.

  5. #145
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    With one little rule throw in - the man and woman had to be the same color. I conclude the definition of marriage was a little different then, still between men and women, but excluding interracial couples. Now marriage excludes homosexual couples, which is just as bad.
    I resent when people try to claim that the issues are completely parallel, finding it extremely offensive. perhaps you are unaware of the discrepancy since you are not here in the US, but I can assure you that the treatment of gays at its worst does not come close to the atrocities blacks have suffered in north america since the slave trade began. I specifically remember you making a claim before that blacks in CA are responsible now for the exact same discrimination they faced under the jim crow laws and under slavery, and I am asking you for a second time to brush up on your american history or simply choose another analogy to use in your argument.

  6. #146
    Student Eko Ren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bedford Stuyvesant
    Last Seen
    08-28-10 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    253

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    The question should be raised, because it is a question that is necessary for a functional society to be able to answer.

    The State recognizes marriages and extends them all manner of legal and financial privileges for a reason; when discussing who should and who should not be allowed to marry, it is only logical that we stop and consider what that reason is, so that we can determine whether or not extending those privileges serves society's purposes.
    That's sounded like a bunch of conjecture. On what grounds should a person be excluded from legal union aside citizenship? A functional society wouldn't be so distracted with such nonsensical, petty questions. Children are allowed to marry in some states, for Godsakes. It really isn't that important a question, and it has far fewer implications than you're suggesting.

    Neither can straight people, if the consenting adult of their choice is their first cousin (in most States).
    That is because incest is illegal in most states. Of course one cannot be legally bound illegally, wtf kind of argument was that?
    Nor if either of the consenting adults is currently married.
    How is that relevant to gay marriage? Once again, this isn't because we necessarily want to exclude married people, but because bigamy is illegal.
    Not to mention all of the bureaucratic hoops one must jump through if the consenting adult of their choice is a foreigner.
    Oh, a country can't legally bind and acknowledge the union of someone who isn't a citizen? GTFO! Dude. Honestly. That's like saying "We should make air illegal because attempting to breathe it underwater can kill you."

    Really, there are quite a number of limits on the consenting adults one can legally marry-- and they are all based on the notion that since the State extends legal benefits to marriage, the State has the right to impose whatever limitations on marriage as it sees fit.
    Bold=100% false. The state imposes no limitations on marriage itself, but only nullifies it on the premise of oblique illegality.
    Last edited by Eko Ren; 12-04-08 at 04:20 AM.

  7. #147
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eko Ren View Post
    To claim that the endeavors of people that you do not know nor interact with in any way affects you to the point that you would change a big decision you've made in your life discloses a very high degree of insecurity.

    If people believe that gay marriage compromises the legitimacy of marriage on religious grounds, then hardly anyone in a society that is so liberal about premarital and anal sex is married at all.
    Society is extremely complex, many institutions and prejudices have latent functions and intersections that we cannot easily comprehend.

    I support gay marriage but such a change must approached cautiously like all change.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #148
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eko Ren View Post
    Main Entry:
    mar·riage
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
    Date:
    14th century
    1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b: the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c: the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
    2: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected ; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
    3: an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>


    Okay, riddle me this: what is the purpose of a marriage?

    I'll give you a hint: it relates to society as a whole on a micro level.

    I'm rather curious as to what your occupation is at this point.
    Ah dictionaries, because they of course hold the solution to all social problems.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #149
    Student Eko Ren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bedford Stuyvesant
    Last Seen
    08-28-10 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    253

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Society is extremely complex, many institutions and prejudices have latent functions and intersections that we cannot easily comprehend.

    I support gay marriage but such a change must approached cautiously like all change.
    Wellie well. I agree.

  10. #150
    Student Eko Ren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bedford Stuyvesant
    Last Seen
    08-28-10 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    253

    Re: How will gay marriage affect your marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Ah dictionaries, because they of course hold the solution to all social problems.
    No, they hold the answers to questions about definitions.

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •