View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #331
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invayne View Post
    No, you're right about the average citizen, but as for murderers and scum like that, they SHOULD have fear.
    You're still ignoring my post

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1057834969 (Is Capital Punishment Justified?)
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #332
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Is there a link to it? I can't see what you're talking about. There should be a Permalink in the corner...

  3. #333
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    1. It can never be "undone" or compensated for in case of a mistake.
    Jail time cannot be undone either. How do you compensate for that in case of a mistake? There is a long repeal process though, especially for people on death row.

    2. It is degrading to society to kill someone in that manner.
    How?

  4. #334
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrein View Post
    What kind of general awe and fear?
    The furry kind. What kind of question is that. The right to take life commands a definite kind of awe and fear.



    What about the state are they afraid of (or would be afraid of)?
    They are in awe of the general institution.

    It legitimises capital punishment for murder ONLY. Period.
    It makes extensions far easier, it legitimises the state's right to take life.


    But I'am not argueing deterrence. You said originally "I don't consider it a particularly just or good move to punish someone for what someone else may do."

    I asked you what you meant and you brought up deterrence. I'am saying that has nothing to do with it.
    I said that to someone else didn't I? It has been brought up many times in this thread.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #335
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    The right to take life commands a definite kind of awe and fear.
    No, the right to take away convicted murderers lives. Not just simply 'life'. Can the government take away anyones life they want? Is anyone suggesting that?

    They are in awe of the general institution.
    That doesn't even make any sense. Proove that they are in 'awe at the general institution' (as if 'awe' is a bad thing to begin with).

    It makes extensions far easier, it legitimises the state's right to take life.
    What extensions? We never said anything about any extentions. We are talking about murderers, some people also want rapists, that's it. Nothing beyond that will pass or extend (why hasn't it already?) The legislative body is struggling to accept the death penalty for 1st degree murder, let alone more crimes.
    Last edited by Unrein; 12-04-08 at 11:26 PM.

  6. #336
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrein View Post
    No, the right to take away convicted murderers lives. Not just simply 'life'.
    Murderers are humans who are alive



    That doesn't even make any sense. Prove that they are in 'awe at the general institution' (as if 'awe' is a bad thing to begin with).
    The right to tak elife increases the general awe and fear of gov't in general. I don't think this is a good thing when it is not needed.

    You seem intent on destroying as much of society as possible and then giving as much power to the state. Madness.


    What extensions? We never said anything about any extentions. We are talking about murderers, some people also want rapists, that's it. Nothing beyond that will pass or extend (why hasn't it already?) The legislative body is struggling to accept the death penalty for 1st degree murder, let alone more crimes.
    But if it was well accepted it would likely be easier to extend it in the future rather than if it was completely repudiated.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #337
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Murderers are humans who are alive
    But only very very few humans have the quality of being a murderer. They are the ONLY group of people who are in danger or threatened by capital punishment.

    The right to tak elife increases the general awe and fear of gov't in general. I don't think this is a good thing when it is not needed.
    They can't take away anyones life they please.

    You seem intent on destroying as much of society as possible and then giving as much power to the state. Madness.
    I swear I was once argueing with you about sex rights and you quite vehemently subscribed to the notion that the government has it's place as an authority figure to maintain social structure and whatnot. I believe I was argueing in favor of removing the government from personal lives as much as possible.

    Interesting how when it comes to 13 year olds having sex you want to tighten the authority of the government but when it comes to MURDERERS you suddenly demote your opinion on the authority of the government.

    But if it was well accepted it would likely be easier to extend it in the future rather than if it was completely repudiated.
    No if it were accepted as penalty for murder, the only crime equal to death, that's where is would stay.

    You really need to provide evidence or explanation as to why it would spread. If the death penalty is being accepted as an equal, justified punishment for murder how does that mean that people will suddenly feel that it's a just punishment for any thing else?

    You could refute your own argument with your logic. Why even give them life sentance? Won't that make it more likely to spread to other lower crimes? Legitimizing life sentances?

  8. #338
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrein View Post
    But only very very few humans have the quality of being a murderer. They are the ONLY group of people who are in danger or threatened by capital punishment.
    You are taking the average person as completely rational.






    I swear I was once argueing with you about sex rights and you quite vehemently subscribed to the notion that the government has it's place as an authority figure to maintain social structure and whatnot. I believe I was argueing in favor of removing the government from personal lives as much as possible.

    Interesting how when it comes to 13 year olds having sex you want to tighten the authority of the government but when it comes to MURDERERS you suddenly demote your opinion on the authority of the government.
    I defended local gov't backing up social authority and retaining 16+ age of consent while only wanting to see any enforcement when one of those invovled was at least a year older than 16+. That is all I did, you seemed intend on denying society existed and arguing for the right of 13 year old girls to have gangbangs with middle age men and of course the right of voluntary cannibalism.


    No if it were accepted as penalty for murder, the only crime equal to death, that's where is would stay.

    You really need to provide evidence or explanation as to why it would spread. If the death penalty is being accepted as an equal, justified punishment for murder how does that mean that people will suddenly feel that it's a just punishment for any thing else?

    You could refute your own argument with your logic. Why even give them life sentance? Won't that make it more likely to spread to other lower crimes? Legitimizing life sentances?
    Yes it would, people are always talking about tougher sentences but I'm willing to take the chance because it is required. Execution is not required however and it could, it may not, but it could make its spread more likely. Why risk it when it isn't needed? Britain should not bring back the death penalty.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #339
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    In world history, "liberals" historically do ultimately come to murdering individually and then in mass all opposing voices. I've posted many times that as I came into politics I was stunned by the extreme intolerance in general and hatred of freedom and free speech most liberals have. Liberal and Dictator come to be the same word.
    In world history, "conservatives" historically do ultimately come to murdering individually and then in mass all opposing voices. I've posted many times that as I came into politics I was stunned by the extreme intolerance in general and hatred of freedom and free speech most conservatives have. Conservative and Dictator come to be the same word.

    You got your words mixed up, so I fixed them for you. I know that you want to portray the truth.
    Last edited by dragonslayer; 12-05-08 at 04:29 AM.

  10. #340
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrein View Post
    But only very very few humans have the quality of being a murderer. They are the ONLY group of people who are in danger or threatened by capital punishment.
    Actually, if you want to place a qualifier, you need it to not be "Murderer" you need ti to be "someone convicted of Murder". Innocent people can be killed by fabrication of evidence (it's been done).

    So to be fair, it's not a guarantee that the only people killed by the govenrment will be "murderers". In a governemtn as corruypt and incompetant as ourts, I would have to take te conservative route and err on the side of caution and assume that that incompetance and corruption extends into the penal/judicial system to some degree as well.



    They can't take away anyones life they please.
    They can and they have. What about Julian and Ethel Rosenberrg? Teh thing is, that once you open the door to granting that kind of power to the government, they WILL abuse it. Guaranteed it will happen eventually.





    No if it were accepted as penalty for murder, the only crime equal to death, that's where is would stay.
    Do you really believe that? What about our corrupt, power hungry government lead your to that assumptioon? The Patriot act? Free Speech Zones? Guantamo bay?

    You really need to provide evidence or explanation as to why it would spread. If the death penalty is being accepted as an equal, justified punishment for murder how does that mean that people will suddenly feel that it's a just punishment for any thing else?
    Just take a peek at the history of Capital punishment in the 20th century. And dont forget those Rosenbergs.

    You could refute your own argument with your logic. Why even give them life sentance? Won't that make it more likely to spread to other lower crimes? Legitimizing life sentances?
    Life sentences will be abused by the goverenment, but it allows time for those who want to aid th ewrongfully imprisoned party to do so. Countless Life sentences have been repealed after they've been carried out. 0 Death sentences have been repealed after they've been carried out.

    The fact of the matter ias that life sentences already exist and removing the death penalty will not change that so the argument is asinine. You are trying to logically justify that which is logically unjustifiable by creatinga strawman, non-sequitor arguemtn because you have no logical reason to want the death penalty.

    You only have emotional ones. And those emotions override the logic. Whetehr the life sentences are abused is irrelevant to the fact that the death penalty WILL DEFINITELY be abused. I say that with 110% certainty given the FACTS from the past.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •