View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #281
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by sotang View Post
    well i must say , some of you people here don't get what is going through the criminal mind. hmm...i think i can just kill 100 people in the most brutal way to get a kick then have someone pay my way through a easy life., ARE YOU TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!, i mean if there is not enough evidence to say he did it for sure, life, rather than death sounds good, at least till they get the evidence to send him down the toobs. VERILY VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU, THOU SHALT DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU. THOU SHALT NOT KILL. don't forget that we live in a world WERE THE ONLY PUNISHMENT WE UNDERSTAND IS CAPITOL. WHO CARES WHAT THAT CRIMINAL DIES. HIS DEATH KEEPS MAYBE HUNDREDS MORE THINKING TWICE BEFORE SAYING, I FEEL LIKE GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER TODAY., then you have to remove them, . CRIMINALS KNOW THAT THEY ARE SIGNING THEIR LIFE AWAY WHEN THEY DO THESE CRIMES. END OF STORY GOODBYE LOGIC.
    Your post makes me giggle. Let's solve the problem of killing by killing! Hooray!
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #282
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Premeditated killing is not self-defense, though. Once incarcerated, the defense of the public at large has been achieved. Then the issue changes to the woeful state of a prison system that lets dangerous criminals re-enter the civilian population.

    By allowing the government to exterminate the offender in a premeditated fashion, the issue changes from defense to murder.

    For example, if I were to kill someone who murdered my son 15 years prior, I would be guilty of premeditated murder. I would not be able to use the defense of saying I was "defending" future victims of that murderer. It is a separate action.

    This is analogous to the death penalty.

    Thus we are granting the Government a right not retained by the people.

    The nature of the death penalty as post facto is inherently why it is purely retaliatory.
    The gov. has the moral obligation to protect its citizens, and that's the end of it. Close the thread.

  3. #283
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invayne View Post
    The gov. has the moral obligation to protect its citizens, and that's the end of it. Close the thread.
    So you agree that permanent incarceration is a better alternative than death penalty. Excellent. Glad you finally understand.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #284
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post



    "Any prior conviction illustrates.... a continued threat to the rights of the people"? Really? What about drug charges? What rights of the people are threatened by someone who was caught with a small amount of marijuana in their youth? How does that conviction illustrate that? And why does that grant the government the authority to kill someone?



    Who the hell ever got put to death for drug charges? You have a link to that?

  5. #285
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invayne View Post
    Who the hell ever got put to death for drug charges? You have a link to that?
    I was pointing out a variant of "prior convictions" as that is what Goobieman had alluded to, but he didn't give a clear cut description of what those convictions were for. I was illustrating how a prior conviction does not suggest what he saiud it did.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #286
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,601

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinu7
    Not when damage is measured in human life.
    Why? To serve the greater good, I have no problem with a little collateral damage. Imagine this scenario: a terrorist group is going to release a highly fatal strain of smallpox into the general population. The only way to stop them and kill the strain is to incinerate their hideout, but there may be people not involved in the plot there and they cannot be warned without risking the release of the smallpox. Personally, I see nothing at all wrong with potentially killing a few innocents in order to save what could be millions. It's not an optimal choice, but it's one I'd make any second of the day.

    I also cite the line "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" from the declaration of independence to argue that the founding fathers made life an unalienable right.
    And yet... people die every day. Darn that Declaration for lying to us all!

    sn't that also a somewhat baseless reason. I agree that the government should not be executing its citizens.
    But what plausible reason would make it "bad" for the government to kill its citizens? It is only based on your own personal credo.
    And yet, you do exactly the same thing when you say:

    I will admit, my Pro-Life is based mostly on moral values.
    Pot, meet kettle.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  7. #287
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,601

    Re: Particulars

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Does every criminal released from prison reoffend?
    The overwhelming majority do. Depending on what country you're talking about, between 60-85% of released inmates re-offend and end up back in prison.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #288
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,601

    Re: Particulars

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Remember you were arguing that the death penalty was a deterant. Haven't I proven that it isn't?
    But prison isn't a deterrent either, yet I'm sure you're not going to argue not putting people in jail. The simple fact is, people who commit murder aren't likely to stop and think rationally about the consequences. They are either insane or act emotionally, either way there isn't any punishment that will deter them.

    In fact, that's why we don't call it the "death deterrent". It's the DEATH PENALTY, it's a PUNISHMENT for an act so heinous that the criminal no longer deserves to breathe the same air as the rest of us.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  9. #289
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Losing At Natural Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post


    If the people had a right to premedtiated homicide undercertain conditions, then I'm OK with the govenrment having the right to premeditated homicide.



    There is such a thing called Justifiable Homicide. If someone breaks into my house, I can shoot his sorry ass and get away with it. Capital punishment is justifiable homicide, since other members of society are being protected. Keeping them in prison for life costs too damned much anyway.

  10. #290
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This is the real crux of our disagreement.

    Incarceration for life is enough in and of itself to act in defense of society. You need to show a logical reason for the leap from "Incarceration of life" To govenremnt sponsored premeditated homicide not in direct defense of another's life.


    The fact that it goes beyond what is necessary for pure defense is what makes the Death Penalty pure vengeance and retaliation.


    Since the killing is unnecessary for defense purposes, there hasn't been an argument given for why the government should have the right to kill its citizens.
    Like I said, it's cheaper for the taxpayer.

Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •