View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #211
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It is my belief that all power greater than that which is retained by the people is in excess of that which the government should wield.
    Do you think it's OK for people to steal from each other? The gov. steals from us every day.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,370

    Re: Villainy

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    -- It is possible to create handling procedures and verification procedures.
    Unfortunately, persons of your ilk would swear that murder on videotape was fallible, moreover, would refuse to take action given its absolute certainty.
    Nice of you to make my mind up for me - better way to convince me would be to show me those examples of procedures I asked for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    --Libertarianism is a policy which establish the autonomy of the individual, to wit, liberal is a derivative.
    Libertarianism is an antonym of authoritarianism.
    Libertarianism is deontological, as in first generation rights, as in negative rights which may be equally protected.
    You've been corrected by Wessexman.. I leave that in his capable hands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    --
    I am unfamiliar as to what others may have called you.

    -- even when hypothetically faced with absolute assurance--
    I am a sceptic, pure and simple. There are very few 100% assured cases in crime. Call me whatever else you like but all I can say is when you choose to engage you might like to check back this thread - I have previously stated the conditions under which I would support a Death Penalty. So do I call you something for making false accusations?

    DNA evidence can be very good but currently there is no system that cuts out human input and while you have that potential for error even DNA evidence cannot be guaranteed 100% of the time.

  3. #213
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Actually, I looked back at your arguments in this thread, Bodhisattva, and they are quite logical and non-emotional.

    In fact, I can agree with the principles behind your argument.

    My only real issue comes with granting the Government the authority to carry out the action of the death penalty against its people.

    This places the government in a position of superiority over the people because it has a right that supersedes the most basic of rights retained by the people.

    Even if the perpetrator has forfeited their own right to life by committing the crime, are we not still imbuing too much power to the government by granting it the ability to carry out such a sentence?

    It is my belief that all power greater than that which is retained by the people is in excess of that which the government should wield.
    Man I can't believe I missed this. I didn't realise how much of a political philosopher you were Tucker. You are completely correct. I'd add that as much as is possible no individual should have more power than any other, power needs to be dispersed as widely as possible(while still being realistic.).
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #214
    Dream Walker
    Monk-Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    07-16-15 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,265
    Blog Entries
    10

    Particulars

    "Particulars"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    The term libertarian comes from the French libertaire, a synonym for anarchism or anarcho-communism.
    Anarcho-communism does not establish individual liberty through its dissolution of private property.

    An essential condition of communism, egalitarianism, may only exist in a utopia where access to all materialism is unlimited and necessarily insignificant.

    Otherwise, the realistic (as opposed to fantasy) process of wealth redistribution within communism violates the premise that libertarianism is an antonym of authoritarianism.

  5. #215
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Particulars

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    "Particulars"

    Anarcho-communism does not establish individual liberty through its dissolution of private property.

    An essential condition of communism, egalitarianism, may only exist in a utopia where access to all materialism is unlimited and necessarily insignificant.

    Otherwise, the realistic (as opposed to fantasy) process of wealth redistribution within communism violates the premise that libertarianism is an antonym of authoritarianism.
    That is all your opinion and one I don't personally agree with, you don't seem to understand a lot about anarcho-communist, but that wasn't my point.

    I was just pointing out that the word libertarian was invented by them and used for at least a century before the type you are talking of took up the term. They still use the term today. If they're not libertarians then I don't know who is unless you are trying to redefine the term.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #216
    Student Makedde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tangled In Jon's Carpet Of Chest Hair
    Last Seen
    06-05-09 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    219

    Re: Particulars

    I am against capital punishment.

    Some say that it is justified - the whole 'eye for an eye' thing, but funnily enough, this is only applied to those people who kill. Now, if someone was convicted of rape, and the judge sentenced that man to be raped himself, I imagine there would be outcry, but why? Why would it be morally wrong to rape a man but perfectly moral to execute him? How can we apply this 'eye for an eye' to only a select group of people?

    Capital punishment also does not deter anyone from commiting a crime. Obviously, the executed man will never commit another crime - but will other men/women out there decide not to kill someone because they are afraid of a needle in their arm? No, they will not. They are not in the least bit afraid of being executed. They are in no way detered.

    Let me not mention the number of innocent people who have been executed over the years. We put innocent men to their deaths for crimes they did not commit. How can we say the death penalty is justified? Just because we happen to kill more guilty people than innocent doesn't make it right.

  7. #217
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Particulars

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Some say that it is justified - the whole 'eye for an eye' thing, but funnily enough
    that's not the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Capital punishment also does not deter anyone from commiting a crime. Obviously, the executed man will never commit another crime - but will other men/women out there decide not to kill someone because they are afraid of a needle in their arm? No, they will not. They are not in the least bit afraid of being executed. They are in no way detered.
    this I am eager to see you prove.

  8. #218
    Student Makedde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tangled In Jon's Carpet Of Chest Hair
    Last Seen
    06-05-09 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    219

    Re: Particulars

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    this I am eager to see you prove.
    How many people are convicted of murder and sentenced to death each year? Do you think they were detered from killing? Or are you going to argue that they didn't expect to be caught?

  9. #219
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Particulars

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    How many people are convicted of murder and sentenced to death each year? Do you think they were detered from killing? Or are you going to argue that they didn't expect to be caught?
    I'd like you to compare stats from states/countries that do and do not have capital punishment and tell me that the ones with capital punishment have as many or more murders committed per year. unless that is the case you cannot argue that capital punishment does not act as a deterrent, unless you add the disclaimer that it is your opinion and not founded on fact.

  10. #220
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Death penalty is justified, but not practiced in the correct way.. It should be used far more often for certain crimes like pedophilia and serial killers and so on, the most serious crimes. The evidence should be overwhelmingly clear and the death penalty used more often..
    I think the system would need to be far more transparent and clear-cut for death penalty to be justified by the state..
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •