View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #201
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Immediate Termination

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    "Immediate Termination"

    DNA links man to TV anchor's death, police say (ln)

    Is it possible to construct provisions of law which guarantee with 100% accuracy that the perpetrator commited the crime?

    What is the uncertainty here?

    Enact due process and promptly execute this maggot.



    Totally agree! Although I can predict "racism" coming out of this.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,617

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    The problem comes when an innocent has been put to death and then the new evidence turns up proving the case was wrong.
    It happens, welcome to reality. How is that any worse than a guilty person being released, who then kills again?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  3. #203
    Dream Walker
    Monk-Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    07-16-15 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,265
    Blog Entries
    10

    Dimentia

    "Dimentia"
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Yeah and in another case, the "guilty maggot" whose DNA linked him to a murder turned out to be 4 years old when the murder was committed.
    Heck yeah, kill all maggots and get someone else to say sorry later when the mistakes or real killer is caught...
    The examples of false readings provided were from human errors.
    There are ways of creating assurances, through repeated verification and independent sources.

    Hypothetically, if the assurances were 100%, the pacifists would still rather know that their loved ones were beaten, raped, and murdered.
    The satisfaction of being victimized titilates them.

  4. #204
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Dimentia

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    Hypothetically, if the assurances were 100%, the pacifists would still rather know that their loved ones were beaten, raped, and murdered.
    The satisfaction of being victimized titilates them.
    That's just sick....

  5. #205
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    In world history, "liberals" historically do ultimately come to murdering individually and then in mass all opposing voices. I've posted many times that as I came into politics I was stunned by the extreme intolerance in general and hatred of freedom and free speech most liberals have. Liberal and Dictator come to be the same word.
    Just like Ignorant and Bonnie come to be the same word?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #206
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,357

    Re: Dimentia

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It happens, welcome to reality. How is that any worse than a guilty person being released, who then kills again?
    If an innocent man has a life sentence he or she gets chances to fight to clear his or her name. The state serves as jailor and if the person clears their name the state can compensate.

    If an innocent man gets a death penalty and is executed - end of story - the real perp is still out there killing anyway - and the state has exacted revenge on the wrong person. The state cannot compensate and instead has proven as bad as the original criminal for killing an innocent.

    Pretty clear cut to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    "Dimentia"
    The examples of false readings provided were from human errors.
    There are ways of creating assurances, through repeated verification and independent sources.
    As long as you have a human element - inputting the DNA evidence / checking it etc etc you will always have the possibility of human error.

    I'd like links to your "ways" please... and I'm sure the DNA agencies would too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk-Eye View Post
    --Hypothetically, if the assurances were 100%, the pacifists would still rather know that their loved ones were beaten, raped, and murdered.
    The satisfaction of being victimized titilates them.
    Can tell the US election is over - you and others of your ilk would have called me a "liberal" before. Now I'm a "pacifist" and your argument is a non argument I'm afraid.

  7. #207
    Dream Walker
    Monk-Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    07-16-15 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,265
    Blog Entries
    10

    Villainy

    "Villainy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    As long as you have a human element - inputting the DNA evidence / checking it etc etc you will always have the possibility of human error.
    I'd like links to your "ways" please... and I'm sure the DNA agencies would too.
    It is possible to create handling procedures and verification procedures.
    Unfortunately, persons of your ilk would swear that murder on videotape was fallible, moreover, would refuse to take action given its absolute certainty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Can tell the US election is over - you and others of your ilk would have called me a "liberal" before. Now I'm a "pacifist" and your argument is a non argument I'm afraid.
    The term "liberal" is misused, anyone that has read my rants understands that; I use it sparingly, if ever, and, assuredly, correctly.
    Libertarianism is a policy which establish the autonomy of the individual, to wit, liberal is a derivative.
    Libertarianism is an antonym of authoritarianism.
    Libertarianism is deontological, as in first generation rights, as in negative rights which may be equally protected.

    When it comes to economics, the term "liberal" is a misnomer, egalitarianism is implemented via authoritarianism; the proper term is utilitarian.
    Utilitarianism is consequentialism, as in second or third generation rights, as in positive rights which may not be equally endowed.

    I am unfamiliar as to what others may have called you.

    However, if one fails to understand the basic premises of society -- http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1057825327 (Is Capital Punishment Justified?), and http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1057821985 (Is Capital Punishment Justified?); such that, even when hypothetically faced with absolute assurance, that person declines to exercise reprisal, that individual is a pacifist, even worse -- a masochist.
    Last edited by Monk-Eye; 12-01-08 at 07:02 PM.

  8. #208
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,639

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Justice is not about revenge. That is the only purpose of the Death Penalty. I have stated that ad nauseum in this thread. The only issue at hand is the one laid out in an earlier post about Govenrmental rights versus citizen rights.


    These emotional arguments regarding "savagery inflicted on the victim" are irrelevant to my logical argument.

    That is, unless you saying that emotional pain is reason enough for the Government to have the power kill its citizens. Is that what you are saying?
    I understand this logical argument as well, what I can't understand is the emotionally driven argument from people trying to claim that my non-emotional backing of the DP is emotionally driven and not simply a perfectly logical and non-emotional one.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  9. #209
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Libertarianism is an antonym of authoritarianism.
    The term libertarian comes from the French libertaire, a synonym for anarchism or anarcho-communism.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #210
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I understand this logical argument as well, what I can't understand is the emotionally driven argument from people trying to claim that my non-emotional backing of the DP is emotionally driven and not simply a perfectly logical and non-emotional one.
    Actually, I looked back at your arguments in this thread, Bodhisattva, and they are quite logical and non-emotional.

    In fact, I can agree with the principles behind your argument.

    My only real issue comes with granting the Government the authority to carry out the action of the death penalty against its people.

    This places the government in a position of superiority over the people because it has a right that supersedes the most basic of rights retained by the people.

    Even if the perpetrator has forfeited their own right to life by committing the crime, are we not still imbuing too much power to the government by granting it the ability to carry out such a sentence?

    It is my belief that all power greater than that which is retained by the people is in excess of that which the government should wield.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •