View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #181
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    As soon as Bush, Cheney, and Gingritch are excuted, I will say that I am satisfied.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer View Post
    As soon as Bush, Cheney, and Gingritch are excuted, I will say that I am satisfied.
    In world history, "liberals" historically do ultimately come to murdering individually and then in mass all opposing voices. I've posted many times that as I came into politics I was stunned by the extreme intolerance in general and hatred of freedom and free speech most liberals have. Liberal and Dictator come to be the same word.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I clearly state repeatedly power to murder their own citizenry.

    And I only agree with military action if it is in direct defensze of us or anotehr nation. Not preemptive defense, but direct defense.



    My arguemtn is that the govenrtment should not have the power to kill its citizens for any rteason. It's clear. I could give two ****s about what the crime is, or preventing future crime. The only issue at hand is should the government have the right to murder it's own citizens for any reason(I clarify "citizens" so that the red herring of "war" is not tossed around yet again)

    Since you don't believe - apparently - that criminal sentencing should have anything whatosover to do with societal vengence or punishment - AGAIN do you believe that people in prison should be subjected to murder by other inmate?

    Murderers kill other inmates who are their for reasons including drug crimes. I gather you approve of non-murderer inmate citizens being murdered - because the government isn't doing the murdering, rather just staging the murders.

    Death penalty is NOT the cruelest punishment. Even of unthinkably torturous Devil's Island and those POWs tortured in Vietnam, they claimed the cruelest punishment of all was solitary isolation.

    Therefore, in fact of reality and not just your theory, you must either support:
    1. That punishment murder will be the absolute cruelest and most life long tortuous of all possible punishment OR
    2. That people in prison have sacrificed their lives regard of the crime they were found guilty of OR
    3. It is better that 1,000 innocent citizens be killed than 1 murderer be executed.

    Which one then in the alternative to capital punishment do you pick? If you pick solitary confinement for life, are there any other less cruel tortures you also want in the legal code?

    Somehow demanding the government engage in the ultimate form of torture of murderers to avoid the injustice of executing murderers doesn't seem to hold ethical water. How about, instead, chopping off their arms and legs? That isn't murder and would seem to nearly always end their ability to hurt others. Since that is less torturous than life long solitary confinement, I suppose your ethics calls for amputations instead for moral reason?
    Last edited by Bonnie1988; 12-01-08 at 10:25 AM.

  4. #184
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    Since you don't believe - apparently - that criminal sentencing should have anything whatosover to do with societal vengence or punishment - AGAIN do you believe that people in prison should be subjected to murder by other inmate?
    Never said that. Nor have I implied that. In fact I don't believe that teh issues are related. One is about the government killing it's citizens, the other is about the abysmal state of our prison system.

    It's a red herring and a non-sequitor argument.

    Murderers kill other inmates who are their for reasons including drug crimes. I gather you approve of non-murderer inmate citizens being murdered - because the government isn't doing the murdering, rather just staging the murders.
    Again, different issue altogether.

    If you want to discuss the way to fisx the abysmal state of the prison system, so be it, I'll discuss it with you in another thread, but this is about capital punishment. Your argumnets are sillogical because the risk to other inmates is not caused by teh lack of death penalty, it is caused by a failure of the prison system.


    Death penalty is NOT the cruelest punishment. Even of unthinkably torturous Devil's Island and those POWs tortured in Vietnam, they claimed the cruelest punishment of all was solitary isolation.
    Irrelevant emotional tripe. I never made any arguments about cruelty.

    Therefore, in fact of reality and not just your theory, you must either support:
    1. That punishment murder will be the absolute cruelest and most life long tortuous of all possible punishment
    What nonsense, bonnie. You know I never made any such argument about cruelty.

    2. That people in prison have sacrificed their lives regard of the crime they were found guilty of

    Again, noinsense unrelated to my arguments.

    3. It is better that 1,000 innocent citizens be killed than 1 murderer be executed.
    STILL unrelated to my arguments. If yuo want to argue against MY [points on the issue, please do so. Until then, please give up trying to paint my arguemtn into something it most assuredly is not.

    Which one then in the alternative to capital punishment do you pick? If you pick solitary confinement for life, are there any other less cruel tortures you also want in the legal code?

    Somehow demanding the government engage in the ultimate form of torture of murderers to avoid the injustice of executing murderers doesn't seem to hold ethical water. How about, instead, chopping off their arms and legs? That isn't murder and would seem to nearly always end their ability to hurt others. Since that is less torturous than life long solitary confinement, I suppose your ethics calls for amputations instead for moral reason?

    You are missing my point entirely, but still making up arguemtns that are totally unrelated to my point. So I am forced one final time make the point that is the ONLY relevant point on the issue.

    Logical sequence:


    Premise 1: The Governmnt should not have more rights than the Citizens it exists for.

    Premise 2: The citizens do not have the right to kill other citizens in a premeditated fashion.

    Premise 3: The Death Penalty is killing in a premeditated fashion

    Conclusion: The government should NOT be allowed to give out the Death Penalty.




    That is the entirety of my argument. If you disagree with my argument, tell me which premise you find to be in error, or that you do not agree with. Show me what premise you would prefer.

    Responding with emotion-laden nonsense about cruelty, prison murders, etc, will be construed as failure to have a logical response and a tacit agreement that the deat penalty is illogical, irrational and unjustified.

    My argumetn is about teh death penalty, and the government's right to have it. I am not making any emotional pleas.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #185
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And I have no problem with that, should they have new evidence that demonstrates factual innocence. However, that doesn't happen very often, most appeals are simply because the condemned doesn't like the sentence, not because they're even pretending they didn't do it.
    appeals are based upon procedural errors and such
    mishandled DNA later proved wrong and the likes
    not "I am innocent"

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  6. #186
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    No one. It is unnecesary except as vengence, and we as a nation should be above such savagery.

    Vengence is a purely emotional response to a heinous action. It is unnecessary. The victims family has a right to that emotionality, but they do not have a right to vengence.
    Why does no one care about the savagery inflicted on the victim? At least if you put the sonofabitch to death, he won't be doing it to anyone else.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,350

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And I have no problem with that, should they have new evidence that demonstrates factual innocence --
    The problem comes when an innocent has been put to death and then the new evidence turns up proving the case was wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by Invayne View Post
    Why does no one care about the savagery inflicted on the victim? At least if you put the sonofabitch to death, he won't be doing it to anyone else.
    Not all "sonofabitches" will be male and if they are put to death and found later to be innocent then what will you say to the victims who died because the real perp was still out there committing crimes?

  8. #188
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    The problem comes when an innocent has been put to death and then the new evidence turns up proving the case was wrong.




    Not all "sonofabitches" will be male and if they are put to death and found later to be innocent then what will you say to the victims who died because the real perp was still out there committing crimes?
    With all of the new technology they have today, I would say that rarely happens. (and I didn't mean they'd all be male, it's just a general term!)

  9. #189
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Conclusion: The government should NOT be allowed to give out the Death Penalty.




    That is the entirety of my argument. If you disagree with my argument, tell me which premise you find to be in error, or that you do not agree with. Show me what premise you would prefer.

    Responding with emotion-laden nonsense about cruelty, prison murders, etc, will be construed as failure to have a logical response and a tacit agreement that the deat penalty is illogical, irrational and unjustified.

    My argumetn is about teh death penalty, and the government's right to have it. I am not making any emotional pleas.
    “Life in prison” means the parole board can release the person after 12 years in some states, and they go out and kill again. Even if it were REAL life imprisonment, it’s deterrent effect will never be as great as that of the death penalty, especially when prisons these days are more like country clubs than anything else! The death penalty is the only irrevocable penalty. Because of that, it is the one that people fear the most. I would say it most certainly is a deterrent. Anyone who takes some one’s life should know that he will give up his own and not just suffer a minor inconvenience being stuck in a country club atmosphere for a few years.

    Do you believe the government should allow and PAY FOR abortion? If you do, then that's a bit hypocritical, wouldn't you say? I know leftists are all for banning the death penalty, yet are gung-ho for killing an INNOCENT child through abortion. Makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by Invayne; 12-01-08 at 02:56 PM.

  10. #190
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invayne View Post
    “Life in prison” means the parole board can release the person after 12 years in some states, and they go put and kill again. Even if it were REAL life imprisonment, it’s deterrent effect will never be as great as that of the death penalty, especially when prisons these days are more like country clubs than anything else! The death penalty is the only irrevocable penalty. Because of that, it is the one that people fear the most. I would say it most certainly is a deterrent. Anyone who takes some one’s life should know that he will give up his own and not just suffer a minor inconvenience being stuck in a country club atmosphere for a few years.
    The fact that "life in prison" does not actually mean "life in prison" is a separate and distinct issue. The issue at hand is the death penalty.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •