View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #171
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Which mistakes?
    The part where innocent people die. Those mistakes.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #172
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    The part where innocent people die. Those mistakes.
    At least innocent people who die due to capital punishment KNOW how they're going to die.



    Better than being thrown into a lock-down facility with REAL criminals who can/will do horrible things to each other and you. Including killing you.

    Just sayin'

  3. #173
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,357

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, it isn't the death penalty that is expensive, it's all the ridiculous amount of legal wrangling we allow death row inmates to engage in at taxpayer expense. Instead of limiting appeals to claims of factual innocence, we let them appeal on any basis whatsoever in a desperate attempt to stay alive. It extends their lives for decades and they stand a better chance of dying of old age than of actually getting executed.

    The actual execution, if it ever comes, is positively cheap in comparison.
    If the state is going to take the risk of killing an innocent person who is wrongly accused I have no problem with every avenue being explored to prove their innocence or guilt.

    Even with DNA evidence there have been mistakes - more particularly where Low Copy Number DNA cases have been proven wrong.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,616

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    If the state is going to take the risk of killing an innocent person who is wrongly accused I have no problem with every avenue being explored to prove their innocence or guilt.
    And I have no problem with that, should they have new evidence that demonstrates factual innocence. However, that doesn't happen very often, most appeals are simply because the condemned doesn't like the sentence, not because they're even pretending they didn't do it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  5. #175
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    Your usage of "power to murder" is a strawman unless you oppose all war actions too.
    I clearly state repeatedly power to murder their own citizenry.

    And I only agree with military action if it is in direct defensze of us or anotehr nation. Not preemptive defense, but direct defense.

    Are you denying that people are murdered in prison by convicted murderers? Or is it your view that anyone in prison regardless of reason therefore should be subjected to murder by other inmates as just punishment for any felony crime? Murder is ok - as long as the government isn't directly doing it?
    My arguemtn is that the govenrtment should not have the power to kill its citizens for any rteason. It's clear. I could give two ****s about what the crime is, or preventing future crime. The only issue at hand is should the government have the right to murder it's own citizens for any reason(I clarify "citizens" so that the red herring of "war" is not tossed around yet again)
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #176
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post

    My arguemtn is that the govenrtment should not have the power to kill its citizens for any rteason. It's clear. I could give two ****s about what the crime is, or preventing future crime. The only issue at hand is should the government have the right to murder it's own citizens for any reason(I clarify "citizens" so that the red herring of "war" is not tossed around yet again)
    Who do you want to do it then? The family of the victim?

  7. #177
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invayne View Post
    Who do you want to do it then? The family of the victim?
    No one. It is unnecesary except as vengence, and we as a nation should be above such savagery.

    Vengence is a purely emotional response to a heinous action. It is unnecessary. The victims family has a right to that emotionality, but they do not have a right to vengence.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #178
    Student Pinu7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In your kitchen, drinking all your kool aid.
    Last Seen
    09-04-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    196

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Capital punishment is a crazy immoral idea for multiple reasons:
    1.It is not cheap.
    2.The guy/girl could be proven innocent later.
    3. All life should be protected.
    4. It is not a deterrent.
    5. It is barbaric.

    1. Capital punishment is an extremely complex process. Therefore, it is much more expensive than just a life sentence. It costs millions of dollars to be carried out. Having convicts rot in jail is much cheaper.

    2. Our legal system is not fallible. It is very possible for new evidence to come in after the conviction that may prove the convict's innocence .But that wont matter if the convict is already dead. At least 350 US citizens were sentenced for the death penalty and proven innocent later.

    3. The most important reason is that all life is valuable and equal. Whether it be the life of a fetus or someone that raped and killed thousands of Asian babies. No crime, no matter how detestable it is, makes a convict unworthy of life. I find it rather distasteful that society can choose which among us should die. I wonder how the Christian right has the gall and stupidity to go against its values by supporting this.

    4. The supporters of CP is often saying that having CP will stop rapes and murders. It is wrong because only a small percent of criminals that do these crimes are executed. In fact, there is no statistical evidence that shows that countries rate of violent crimes are elated to their possession or lack of CP.

    5. There is no difference between the angry right-wingers chanting, "Kill the scum!" and the bloodthirsty mobs in the roman Colosseum. It seems like the 75% of Americans have degenerated into to savages every time someone is convicted of a crime. Killing people for sheer revenge should not be allowed in civilized society.

  9. #179
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinu7 View Post
    Capital punishment is a crazy immoral idea for multiple reasons:
    1.It is not cheap.
    It could be very cheap, but not without increasing the likelihood of innocents being killed.

    2.The guy/girl could be proven innocent later.
    That is tue, but if the "greater good" is the goal, colateral damage is acceptable to many.

    3. All life should be protected.
    I totally disagree with that statemnt. What logical reason do we have to protect all life? In fact, there are plenty of logical reasons to not protect all life.

    4. It is not a deterrent.
    But that isn't why it exists.

    5. It is barbaric.
    I agree that it is a savage, base response, but that alone is not reason enough to stop the death penalty.

    I'm on your side, and I oppose the death penalty, bu tthe reasons you give against it are of the same sort as the reasons for it. Purely emotional reasons.

    Teh only issue at hand is weather or not we think it is OK to give the governemtn this kind of power.

    Because everyone agrees to some degree that there exist reasons to kill. Be it self-defense or what have you,. but everyone agrees that circumstances exist that make killing/murder OK.

    Once we open that box, the justifications are mere topics of debate. The main thing is that once this conclusion is reached, justifications can be made to morally accept all sorts of murder/killing.

    So then teh limitations become the scenarios. Self-defense vs vengeance. Preemptive self-defense vs. direct self defense. Defense of otehrs vs. defense of an ideology. etc. etc. etc.

    Thus the problem is one of opinions. Some people feel it is perfectly moral to act in vengence of others. But when asked "Should the Government have more rights than it's citizens, including the right to muder those citizens?"

    I oppose the death penatly becaus eI feel that the Government does not and should not have the right to kill/murder its citizenry. I believe that an individual has the right to kill/murder anotehr individual in direct defense for another or for themselves. That means if they or anotehr person is in imminent danger, lethal force is within their rights.

    this includes any individual who works for the govenremtns in some capacity such as Police oofficer etc.

    What I have issue with is the premeditated murder of someone by the governments for any reason, justified or not. I do not feel that any citizen has a right to premeditated killing/murder thus, neither should the govenrment. The govenrment should have fewer rights that the people.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #180
    Student imprtnrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Seen
    05-21-11 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    270

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    I say it is justified only IF there is proof that the person convicted really commited the crime. DNA should be the proof in most cases.

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •