View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #161
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    I don't think the gross injustice (and deaths) done to so many truly innocent victims by released criminals is justified to avoid the fear of there ever being one wrongly executed person. I don't see how that is respecting life or protecting the innocent.
    This is a blatantly false dichotomy. there has been no one arguing for the release of any guilty people. These are not the only two options. This is why these emotion-based arguments are pointelss... because they invariably lead down the road of which emotionally-bassed side can fabricate and make-up the more absurd scenario.

    The fact of the matter is, nobody has EVER given me a single logical reason why the governemnt should have the power to murder any of it's citizens without the need tto resort to irrational emotionally-charged rhetoric.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #162
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This is a blatantly false dichotomy. there has been no one arguing for the release of any guilty people. These are not the only two options. This is why these emotion-based arguments are pointelss... because they invariably lead down the road of which emotionally-bassed side can fabricate and make-up the more absurd scenario.

    The fact of the matter is, nobody has EVER given me a single logical reason why the governemnt should have the power to murder any of it's citizens without the need tto resort to irrational emotionally-charged rhetoric.
    and here I thought our entire legal system was based upon
    It is better for 10 guilty people go free, than 1 innocent be convicted

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  3. #163
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    and here I thought our entire legal system was based upon
    It is better for 10 guilty people go free, than 1 innocent be convicted
    That's still an emotional arguemtn. The real issue is that the power is retained by the people, not the govenremnt. It's the government's job to argue succesfully to remove the power from the individual. This action does not grant powe rto the State, it removes it form teh Citizen.

    The issue here is that the people do NOT have the right to kill others, but the GOVERNMENT claims that it does have the right to kill its citizens in the form of the death penalty.

    What the criminal in question did or did not do is actually irrelevant to teh actual issue at hand, IMO.

    The innocent vs. Guilty issue is unaffected by the Death Penalty vs. permanent incarceration issue. Inclusion of this in the auguemtn only serves to stoke the emotional fires.

    The only issue at hand is if the governemtn should have the power to kil its citizens... This must be looked at regardless of the specific reasoning for the killing of the citizen. The "crime" is irrelevant because if it can be justified in one scenario, it can be justifised in others.

    So the ultimate questions is, "Should the government have the right to kill it's citizens for ANY reason it so chooses?"
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #164
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe



    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27,816

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    I am for the death penalty, but I feel it's vastly overused. I have no problem seeing someone like John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy put to death; they were serial killers, proven so beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, nearly every murder case has the death penalty on the table now, more as a means of extorting a plea bargain than because it really merits the ultimate punishment.

    Too many people are sentenced to death, and many of those on circumstantial evidence. Yes, I understand circumstantial evidence is good evidence, but unless it offers positive proof that the defendant commited a crime so heinous that it merits the death penalty, capital punishment shouldn't be used. There's not a doubt in my mind that innocent people have been executed. Not a doubt. Look how many death row inmates have been proven innocent because of the development of DNA?

    So I believe in the death penalty, but it should be rarely used and only on the most heinous cases where proof of guilt is irrefutable.
    Last edited by DiAnna; 11-28-08 at 09:08 PM.

  5. #165
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    T The real issue is that the power is retained by the people, not the govenremnt.
    Fine, I'll shoot the bastards then. I haven't been to target practice in ages!

  6. #166
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I am for the death penalty, but I feel it's vastly overused. I have no problem seeing someone like John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy put to death; they were serial killers, proven so beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, nearly every murder case has the death penalty on the table now, more as a means of extorting a plea bargain than because it really merits the ultimate punishment.

    Too many people are sentenced to death, and many of those on circumstantial evidence. Yes, I understand circumstantial evidence is good evidence, but unless it offers positive proof that the defendant commited a crime so heinous that it merits the death penalty, capital punishment shouldn't be used. There's not a doubt in my mind that innocent people have been executed. Not a doubt. Look how many death row inmates have been proven innocent because of the development of DNA?

    So I believe in the death penalty, but it should be rarely used and only on the most heinous cases where proof of guilt is irrefutable.
    I don't think it's used enough. Too many false insanity pleas...The Devil made me do it, God told me to do it, The Prozac made me do it...all bull****.

  7. #167
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Capital Punishment is really the only thing that deters violent crimes. Most criminals dont really care if they get locked up for X amount of years because in prison they get three squares a day and a roof over their head. If they realize that they too can be killed, they will stop and think. NY had a real problem with car jackers that killed the person that they jacked so Albany decided to add that one can be punished with the Death Penalty if caught and it reduced the problem a whole hell of alot.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  8. #168
    Devil Dog cherokee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    09-11-09 @ 09:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    If you really think that mistakes are still not made, I pity you.
    Which mistakes?

  9. #169
    Devil Dog cherokee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    09-11-09 @ 09:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I agree. john Wayne Gacy is a great example of someone who was definitely guilty.

    My thinking is that, "Yes. These peices of **** DESERVE to die". I don't deny that. In fact, I usually agree with that in most cases on an emotional level.

    My argument hinges entirely on the fact that I do not think it is the government's job to exact revenge.

    I most definitely think that the government should NOT have this ability.

    I've never seen any compelling argument for that which did not rely solely on emotionality.

    Emotionality is irrational by nature, so deciding something based on this is irrational.
    I know sometimes I post with emotional overtones but the real reasons are more down to earth.
    By removing the person from the gene pool its guaranteed he/she will never commit the act again.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This is a blatantly false dichotomy. there has been no one arguing for the release of any guilty people. These are not the only two options. This is why these emotion-based arguments are pointelss... because they invariably lead down the road of which emotionally-bassed side can fabricate and make-up the more absurd scenario.

    The fact of the matter is, nobody has EVER given me a single logical reason why the governemnt should have the power to murder any of it's citizens without the need tto resort to irrational emotionally-charged rhetoric.
    Your usage of "power to murder" is a strawman unless you oppose all war actions too.

    Are you denying that people are murdered in prison by convicted murderers? Or is it your view that anyone in prison regardless of reason therefore should be subjected to murder by other inmates as just punishment for any felony crime? Murder is ok - as long as the government isn't directly doing it?

    There are people who see being in prison as just another no-labor-required society to be in, even easier than the outside world. For those, life sentence with no parole (why you think that is humane is beyond me) is the ultimate welfare system at our expense - what a free ride in life? Just murder a bunch of people you don't like.

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •