View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #151
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Some cases are that cut and dry.

    And why is this? What didnt we have 50 years ago?
    DNA evidence.
    We live in a different world with the advancements of forensic science.
    If you really think that mistakes are still not made, I pity you.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #152
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    Maybe because cash doesn't alter the fact that the state has murdered an innocent man?
    Nor does it make up for having your life destroyed by false imprisonment.

    "Give me freedom or give me death!"

  3. #153
    Educator Invayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Present
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    817

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I am not sure it is worth the risk to execute someone who may be innocent.

    With the current legal challenges and system, it has actually been shown to cost more to execute someone than it does to keep them incarcerated; is this really a cost benefit argument, or one of moral integrity?

    Much like my argument for the life of an unborn child, I would also argue that society needs to maintain its moral high ground when it comes to executions; maybe it is a barbaric past we need to distance ourselves from.

    I used to always be in favor of executions, as I grow older and I would hope wiser, I have tended to believe that perhaps this is something we need to take a long hard look at.

    Do I really care if these murderers as charged are a potential threat to the other thugs in the prison? Hell no.

    Should they have all the luxuries of home? Hell no.

    I believe the ONLY reason they are permitted exercise rooms and TVs is to control them and make the guards jobs a little safer. Can you imagine if we incarcerate people for life and remove all these things? There would be never ending violence and riots.

    Any way, that is my on this topic.
    Where do you get the idea that it's cheaper to support their sorry asses for the rest of their lives instead of putting them to death? Not only would we have to build a gazillion more prisons, we have to feed them---give them food when there are so many other deserving hungry people in this country...jeez, I'm sounding liberal...WTF? There is DNA testing and other modern technologies that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that people are guilty. I could see your point if we didn't have this. As for all the comforts of home? Screw 'em. This isn't Disneyland, this is prison. You make prison feel like a vacation, who is going to not want to go there? If the prisoners want exercise, they can get on with the chain gang and go out and clean up the highways, fix the roads...hell, they can do anything that city and state employees do. (all they do is sit around and drink coffee while ONE guy does the work anyway)

    People that are guilty without a doubt should not have all the appeals that they get...just take them out back after the trial and shoot them! LOL!! The ones that are eligible for life in prison, put them to work. They'll get fresh air, exercise, and a feeling of worth. (and a pack of cigarettes as pay! LMAO!!) And if they do REAL good work, let them have a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 to unwind with!

    Shit, I think I'll run for president.

  4. #154
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    I don't support the death penalty because I'm weary of giving such power to the state. It is an act designed to create fear and awe of the state in a way I don't like to see.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #155
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,367

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I don't support the death penalty because I'm weary of giving such power to the state. It is an act designed to create fear and awe of the state in a way I don't like to see.
    EXACTLY how I feel.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #156
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invayne View Post
    Not only would we have to build a gazillion more prisons, we have to feed them---give them food when there are so many other deserving hungry people in this country...jeez, I'm sounding liberal...WTF?
    Umm... only around 50 people are executed each year.

    There is DNA testing and other modern technologies that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that people are guilty. I could see your point if we didn't have this.
    ..and yet mistakes are still made. New technology brings with it unforeseen faults.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #157
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,629

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    I am not sure it is worth the risk to execute someone who may be innocent.
    Why not? If that's the case, then is it worth the risk to improson someone who may likewise be innocent? Or to fine someone money who may be innocent? Or to do anything, simply because you may be wrong?

    We need to accept that we're not perfect, we will never be perfect, and not allow our imperfection to leave us quivering in our boots out of fear of making a mistake. May we make mistakes? Sure. It's part of being human. Should we do everything in our ability to minimize mistakes? Absolutely.

    Besides, it isn't like we're wrongly executing little old ladies for murder. The overwhelming majority of people who wind up on death row are life-long criminals with a long, long, long rap sheet, very often for violent crimes. While that doesn't mean they deserve to be wrongly executed by any means, it does ramp my sympathy for their "innocence" way down. These are not good, wholesome, law-abiding citizens who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, they're anti-social criminals who have a lot to answer for and aren't much of a loss to society.

    With the current legal challenges and system, it has actually been shown to cost more to execute someone than it does to keep them incarcerated; is this really a cost benefit argument, or one of moral integrity?
    The *ONLY* cost are the legal challenges, simply because we allow endless appeals at taxpayer expense and the majority of appeals can be summed up with "I don't want to die". Not wanting to die is not a legitimate reason to appeal a sentence, only the factual innocence of the criminal or judicial misconduct are legitimate reasons. If we limit appeals to only those reasons, and then only those appeals which have new evidence to present, we can make death penalty cases positively cheap.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #158
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,629

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    Maybe because cash doesn't alter the fact that the state has murdered an innocent man?
    Not does it alter the fact that the state has imprisoned an innocent man, but that's what is done every time we figure out we screwed up. How is the solution in one case not an adequate solution in another?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I never thought I'd thank a TD post... Hell must be freezing over
    Let's not get carried away with niceties.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    I don't think the gross injustice (and deaths) done to so many truly innocent victims by released criminals is justified to avoid the fear of there ever being one wrongly executed person. I don't see how that is respecting life or protecting the innocent. Rather, it is total indifference to the truly and unquestionably innocent victims - therefore a murderous philosophy pretending to be to protect innocent lives.

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •