View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #111
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Once a person takes an action such as murder or rape, they have forfeited their right to life.
    This is a logical postition and one that does not worry about what an offender "might" contribute if reformed.
    I simply don't care... they made their choice and need to face the consequences and is completely justified...
    That is NOT an especially logical position. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but it's certainly not based on logic. It's just based on your preconception of what justice is or should be.

    Personally I think that the government should be less barbaric than criminals. At the very least, it shouldn't be even MORE barbaric. Yet that is exactly what you are suggesting. In the case of rapists, you want the government to kill someone who hasn't even killed anyone themselves. The punishment is even harsher than the crime. In the case of murder, you're at least on more solid ground in demanding their execution...but it's still rooted in emotion. It doesn't benefit society to execute them as opposed to imprisoning them.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-26-08 at 01:01 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    I'm confused. Cephus and Jamesrage admit we need to mitigate the death of innocents via capital punishment but they also want to excise much of the procedural framework that allows us to do just that (appeals process). Perhaps you can explain this contradiction in logic as I am quite perplexed.

    Is Capital Punishment Justified?
    It depends. Is it practically justified? No. It's too expensive and it's imperfect. I would rather see ten guilty men go free than live with the knowledge that one innocent man was put to death; that is unconscionable.

    Philosophically is it justified? I believe so, yes. If there were a perfect method of determination I believe the death penalty would be warranted for murderers, rapists, and child molesters. Philosophically I would pose no objection to having such people put to death. They are monsters and they deserve to die.

  3. #113
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    So you think a fetus is not a living thing; it is not alive?
    I'd like you to quote where I said that. Also, bugs are living things.

    Your argument suggests that it is okay to kill a living being as long as it is not a fully grown human being. My 13 year old is not a fully grown human being, is it okay to kill him?
    Straw man. I have never made the argument that only fully grown human beings should live. You compared abortion to the death penalty. All I said was that they were different because one is a fetus and the other a fully grown human being.

    By the way, the fetus does have a family, which is how the fetus became a living entity in the first place, in normal circumstances.
    Valid point.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #114
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,627

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    1. It can never be "undone" or compensated for in case of a mistake.
    Nothing we do can ever be "undone" or compensated for adequately. If you put someone in prison wrongly for 30 years, only to discover they were not guilty, you can't return those 30 years to the person, no matter how much money you throw at them. Sorry, a trillion dollars cannot compensate in any way for even a single year of my life lost. But we don't stop putting people in prison because we might make a mistake, do we?

    2. It is degrading to society to kill someone in that manner.
    That one is ridiculous. Society has a right to take out the trash and remove dangerous components from circulation, permanently if necessary. Pragmatically, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep someone alive if they're never going to get out of prison, I have yet to hear a single logical argument for doing so.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've only ever heard two good arguments against the death penalty ("capital punishment" is a euphemism, and I don't like euphemisms.)

    1. It can never be "undone" or compensated for in case of a mistake.

    2. It is degrading to society to kill someone in that manner.

    Although I only recognize these two, they are for me somewhat compelling, so I lean against capital punishment, although this is the one issue I've never been able to make my mind up on once and for all.
    Your comments reflect my feelings as well. The ONLY issue I have is watching murderers go free when there is no death penalty. If I could be assured that these killers would NEVER be released, the death penalty in my opinion becomes moot.

  6. #116
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Your comments reflect my feelings as well. The ONLY issue I have is watching murderers go free when there is no death penalty. If I could be assured that these killers would NEVER be released, the death penalty in my opinion becomes moot.
    I never thought I'd thank a TD post... Hell must be freezing over
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I never thought I'd thank a TD post... Hell must be freezing over
    Damn, I just felt a chill!!!

  8. #118
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-08-16 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Not only yes capital punishment is justified but hell yes it is justified. Those who commit certain heinous crimes are not deserving of life. Capital punishment serves as the ultimate punishment. It is unfair to the victims loved ones and other honest citizens to have to provide shelter,medical care, food, libraries, security,entertainment and other things to these scum who are behind bars.
    "Sorry Jimmy's family and friends not only did this scumbag kill little Jimmy now you get to support this scumbag for the rest of his life." Its seems like adding insult to injury to the victims,the victim's loved ones and other honest law abiding citizens. In some cases the death penalty serves as a deterrent.

    Most of the anti-death penalty nuts seem to show as much compassion for the victims and their loved ones as the scum on death row.
    The flaw in that logic is that it cost more to execute a prisoner than to keep in jail for life.

  9. #119
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I never thought I'd thank a TD post... Hell must be freezing over
    Trust me, TD makes a lot of good points. It's just that the "packaging" might be a little rough on occasion.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Trust me, TD makes a lot of good points. It's just that the "packaging" might be a little rough on occasion.
    Packaging? We don't need no steenking packaging!

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •