View Poll Results: Should Capital Punishment be supported?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be supported in both principle and practice.

    43 47.78%
  • Yes in principle, but not in practice due to the ambiguity of social bias.

    14 15.56%
  • It should be opposed both in principle and practice.

    33 36.67%
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 416

Thread: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    There's nothing ironic about it. One is a fully grown human being. It normally has a family and friends. The other is a fetus.
    So you think a fetus is not a living thing; it is not alive? Your argument suggests that it is okay to kill a living being as long as it is not a fully grown human being. My 13 year old is not a fully grown human being, is it okay to kill him?

    By the way, the fetus does have a family, which is how the fetus became a living entity in the first place, in normal circumstances.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I have come to expect no less from you. What we have here is a strawman. I make the case that a person can have different opinions on different issues and you come up with some retarded claim about something I never said. Moving on.

    2nd strawman. I'm against the war on the basis that it's not worth the effort. I'm for the war in Afghanistan on the basis that it is worth the effort. I'm FOR CHOICE on the basis that it's not my business what people decide to do when they get pregnant. I'm against capital punishment on the basis that it's

    The only thing more laughable then the black and white world of retarded conservatives is the fact that they actually live in it.

    Proceed.
    What is fascinating irony is your effort to assume that my comments somehow were directed at you.

    I assure you, no one particularly myself, cares what YOUR personal views are; my statement was perfectly clear.

    I find it ironic that those who oppose the war on the basis that people get killed; have no qualms about killing a fetus.

    I am sure it doesn’t occur to you, but my comments may not apply to YOU.

    Carry on; your laughable assertions, insults, ad hominems and efforts to make everything about YOU are amusing.


  3. #103
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Actually execution by firing squad is still legal in Oklahoma and Idaho. Four inmates in Utah could still face firing squads since the their law banning execution by firing squads was not retroactive.
    I went to a courthouse in texas that was built in 1915 with a state-of-the-art hanging room just above the kitchen. there was a hole in the ceiling in the corner of the kitchen that they put a curtain around because when the feet came through it upset the cook.

    just thought that was kind of cute and texasy. but yeah, mormons have been fans of firing squad I believe because there is some redeeming factor in shedding blood for your sins as opposed to being injected or hanged or electrocuted. and as I understand it the four inmates you refer to chose to die by firing squad for that reason.

  4. #104
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    and in response to OP I believe capital punishment is justified because it is government's job to prevent chaos by protecting citizens from each other à la thomas paine. tho I reserve the right to disagree with paine on occasion I believe his commonsensical notions of government's purpose to be right on.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,627

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    So you think a fetus is not a living thing; it is not alive? Your argument suggests that it is okay to kill a living being as long as it is not a fully grown human being. My 13 year old is not a fully grown human being, is it okay to kill him?
    Of course a fetus is a living thing, it just doesn't happen to have the same rights granted to it that living human beings that have been born get. Just because something is alive doesn't make it protected.

    I can't believe I have to explain these things.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  6. #106
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,193

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Therefore we should take pains to ensure that we are not punishing those who did not commit the crime. The problem is that the costs to do so rise. Hence when the death penalty is so much more expensive then life in prison.
    Then you as an anti-death penalty nut has absolutely no room what so ever to ****in bitch about the cost of the death penalty because you look at those absurdly extra cost as a means of ensuring that no innocent people get executed.



    What the hell? Their deaths don't matter? How can I ignore the financial costs?
    AS you anti-death penalty nuts have stated many times "The government shouldn't be in the business of revenge" , "we shouldn't give a **** about the victims of these scum on death row".

    You just said state sanctioned murder of innocents is okay.
    As the abortionist have reminded pro-lifers on more than one occasion. "Murder is the illegal taking of a human life or more specifically the killing of another human under conditions specifically covered in law". Since the individual was found he guilty in a court of law and sentenced to death in a court of law his death is not murder.




    You clearly have no understanding of the cost processes involved in ensuring beyond a shadow of a doubt that person committed that crime.
    Then please explain explain the cost on why it cost so much to shoot a few dollars worth of electricity,bullets or lethal drugs into someone. Obviously it is the source of the absurd high cost happen somewhere during the trial and sentencing.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #107
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Then you as an anti-death penalty nut has absolutely no room what so ever to ****in bitch about the cost of the death penalty because you look at those absurdly extra cost as a means of ensuring that no innocent people get executed.
    Come again? The high cost is a problem as it is in effect the necessary tool to ensure we don't kill innocent people. But history has proven that it hasn't been a fail safe as innocents have been executed.

    AS you anti-death penalty nuts have stated many times "The government shouldn't be in the business of revenge" , "we shouldn't give a **** about the victims of these scum on death row".
    Where have I said that? Furthermore, you failed (or are deliberately ignoring) where I stated that in principle, capital punishment isn't a bad idea.

    Since the individual was found he guilty in a court of law and sentenced to death in a court of law his death is not murder.
    So if we convict an innocent and kill them, they committed the crime we say they did?

    That's Fascism right there. If we execute someone who is innocent we have committed murder.

    Obviously it is the source of the absurd high cost happen somewhere during the trial and sentencing.
    Exactly. If you want to reduce the costs, then you end up with more innocents being executed. Essentially you have promoted the state killing innocent people.

    Explain to me how executing innocent people for crimes they did not commit and not punishing those who did commit that crime to be "Justice."
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #108
    Dream Walker
    Monk-Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    07-16-15 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,265
    Blog Entries
    10

    Cannibalism

    "Cannibalism"
    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    There's nothing ironic about it. One is a fully grown human being. It normally has a family and friends. The other is a fetus.
    There is a some irony about it.

    One pundit group pretences nature to be morally relative, subjective - perspectivism.

    Given the position; only positive law itself substantiates the domain of institutional rules.

    And, a fetus, prior to an ordain of positive rights, is subject to the moral relativism of nature.

    And, a non-citizen, prior to an ordain of positive rights, is subject to the moral relativism of nature.

    And, a criminal, posterior to retraction of positive rights, is subject to the moral relativism of nature.

    And, it is then ironic that a subjective plea to stay wilful acts of natural indifference, or veracity, be based on moral determinism.

    ***

    Ultimately, it seems that both (anti-abortion and anti-capital punishment) groups pretence nature to be somewhat morally determined by their own subjective opinion.

    Each contends their own actions are justified and relatively inconsequential.
    Each contends the others actions are unjustified and consequential.

    It is ironic that neither side concedes the principles of positive law and moral relativism to the other, which they concede to themselves.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,667

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    Once a person takes an action such as murder or rape, they have forfeited their right to life.
    This is a logical postition and one that does not worry about what an offender "might" contribute if reformed.
    I simply don't care... they made their choice and need to face the consequences and is completely justified...



    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  10. #110
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Seen
    12-13-08 @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    948

    Re: Is Capital Punishment Justified?

    I've only ever heard two good arguments against the death penalty ("capital punishment" is a euphemism, and I don't like euphemisms.)

    1. It can never be "undone" or compensated for in case of a mistake.

    2. It is degrading to society to kill someone in that manner.

    Although I only recognize these two, they are for me somewhat compelling, so I lean against capital punishment, although this is the one issue I've never been able to make my mind up on once and for all.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •