View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 88 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #871
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm
    Francis Bellamy's pledge postdates the founding fathers by a century.
    http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

    And to tell the truth, I may well have been against this "under God" addition back a half century ago when it was introduced, however, it is here to stay unless the atheists and their supporters become dominate..
    The pledge has outlived it's usefullness (if it ever was usefull). Who says the pledge anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  2. #872
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    07-08-06 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    105

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Where's the option for WHO CARES? There are so much more important things we could be worrying about. The pledge barely even means anything to anyone anymore, since we say it every day in school. It's not pledging allegiance to your country, it's just something we rattle off half-heartedly every morning before class.

  3. #873
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizai
    Where's the option for WHO CARES? There are so much more important things we could be worrying about. The pledge barely even means anything to anyone anymore, since we say it every day in school. It's not pledging allegiance to your country, it's just something we rattle off half-heartedly every morning before class.
    I haven't said the pledge since 5th grade. The funny thing about it is that it is more like a prayer. Tell me you have never heard someone say "amen" at the end of just out of habit from reciting common prayers in unison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  4. #874
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Seen
    04-06-07 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    158

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm
    Francis Bellamy's pledge postdates the founding fathers by a century.
    http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

    And to tell the truth, I may well have been against this "under God" addition back a half century ago when it was introduced, however, it is here to stay unless the atheists and their supporters become dominate..
    "One Nation Under God' was taken from the 1702 letter that John Adams wrote to the Danbury Baptists.

    FVF

  5. #875
    Professor
    George_Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States of America and proud of it!
    Last Seen
    08-16-06 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Yes, the pledge, "Under God" should definitely be in the Pledge of Allegiance. It is not the government trying to shove religion down peoples' throats as it is a symbol of our national history. When our founding fathers signed the Consitution they put, "In the year of our Lord" at the bottom. Obviously, Christianity is a part of our history. But the phrase, "God" doesn't even have to mean an endorsement of the Christian faith. It could mean virtually any faith.

  6. #876
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Seen
    04-06-07 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    158

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    Yes, the pledge, "Under God" should definitely be in the Pledge of Allegiance. It is not the government trying to shove religion down peoples' throats as it is a symbol of our national history.
    It is a symbol of this nation turning its back on the founding fathers and upon the directive of the Savior not to give to Caesar what belongs to God

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    When our founding fathers signed the Consitution they put, "In the year of our Lord" at the bottom.
    Why do you suppose that the First U. S Congress did not put "In the year of our Lord" at the bottom of the bills and resolutions it passed?

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    Obviously, Christianity is a part of our history.
    The Christian faith of the founding fathers included the doctrine of the right of private judgement in matters of religion aka Separation of Church and State.

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    The phrase, "God" doesn't even have to mean an endorsement of the Christian faith. It could mean virtually any faith.
    The dispute over the existance or non-existance of God is matter that does not fall within the congnizance of the government. Our system of government was not designed or intended to decide these type of disputes. Every man is left free to decide for himself if God does or does not exist.

    The religion of the people should be as free as the air they breathe from government influence. If God does exist, he does not need the government to help him establish his existance.

    FVF

  7. #877
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    07-08-06 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    105

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002
    I haven't said the pledge since 5th grade. The funny thing about it is that it is more like a prayer. Tell me you have never heard someone say "amen" at the end of just out of habit from reciting common prayers in unison.
    Actually, I never have seen that happen, but I can see how it could.

    Maybe the Pledge would actually mean something if we didn't say (or hear) it every friggin' day.

  8. #878
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    Yes, the pledge, "Under God" should definitely be in the Pledge of Allegiance. It is not the government trying to shove religion down peoples' throats as it is a symbol of our national history. When our founding fathers signed the Consitution they put, "In the year of our Lord" at the bottom. Obviously, Christianity is a part of our history. But the phrase, "God" doesn't even have to mean an endorsement of the Christian faith. It could mean virtually any faith.
    Perhaps we could add "under slavery" also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  9. #879
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002
    The pledge has outlived it's usefullness (if it ever was usefull). Who says the pledge anyway?
    last I checked, nearly every public school student in the country, every day.

    And how has it "outlived its usefulness?"

    Wait, let me guess - you think that America is a selfish nation of morons who are so full of national pride it makes you sick.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #880
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightatNYU
    last I checked, nearly every public school student in the country, every day.

    And how has it "outlived its usefulness?"

    Wait, let me guess - you think that America is a selfish nation of morons who are so full of national pride it makes you sick.
    No, We didn't say it here in my 90% republican midwest farm town after 5th grade. We have discussed this before but apparently you still think that every public school student still says it. Where exactly did you check? You also said that last time.

    Really I don't think it has any use other than superficial ceremonial value. The pledge doesn't make you more loyal to your country any more than swearing to tell the truth in court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



Page 88 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •