View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 84 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #831
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,133

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNYJ
    RE; Right at NYU # 820
    At the time ! opening excercises were Constitutional .
    You and others that oppose Religion in the public square,Make it sound like their are gangs of chriostians roaming shool buildings beating up atheists and JW.
    In acient days we had no roaming gangs of protestants attacking Catholics for not reciting their version of the Lords prayer.
    It would be so simple,you dont like the line,don't say it,but. That wouldn't satisfy malcontents that want to drive religion out of public life.
    I think in your own way you've probably nailed it Johny. These anti-Pledge folks aren't stupid or completely uneducated. I can't believe they are really so exorcised over two little words in a Pledge that nobody is required to say.

    We don't know for sure, but every now and then they let something slip to make me believe that their real agenda is to strip all religion from all public arenas and make this a totally godless society.

    I don't think they understand how much more bleak the world will be if they ever should succeed.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #832
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    Who's getting off subject? I've been precisely on subject. I haven't even brought in Dred Scott or any of a dozen other 'comparisons' that some of the rest of you have dredged up trying to make your point. And what does "In God we Trust" have to do with the Pledge of Allegiance (speaking of getting off subject.)?

    Again, what religion is being established? What is its doctrine? What are the rules for its congregation? It's priests or ministers or rabbis? What advantage do you gain by being an adherent of it? What consequence is there for you if you reject it? How does this 'religion' affect your ability to make a living? Own property? Conduct your daily affairs? Impact on your livelihood or affect any of your legal or unalienable rights?

    Acknowleging that people are religious, that there were religious considerations that went into the foundations of the Constitution, that our laws and our history cannot be separated from our religious heritage, and that many people in government are people of faith is NOT an establishment of religion. A slogan is NOT a religion. A phrase in a Pledge is NOT a religion. A symbol is NOT a religion.

    It is okay if I am religious or somebody else is religious. You are not required to be religious. You have a constitutional right to not be religious and nobody has a shred of power to require you to be religious or act religious.

    And neither are you given power to prevent others from being religous or acting religious.

    Common decency requires that we respect that you are a non believer. Common decency requires that you respect that most Americans do not share your non belief.

    Those two little words in the Pledge harm nobody and are satisfying to most. A little tolerance please. The country is not becoming a theocracy. The Inquisition isn't headed your way. The words in the Pledge are okay. Get over it.

    You just don't get it do you?
    What makes you think it was legal for the government to put god into our pledge and motto in the first place?
    Explain to me how it was legal.

  3. #833
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    For all you people who are for "Under God"
    Explain how it was legal for the US GOV. , supposedly seperated from religion (NOT SPECIFIC RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS), to put under god in the pledge and replacing a good motto with "In God We Trust".

    Until you can answer this, you have no valid argument for its constitutionality.

    Not like you do anyways, but this way it will keep you from your arguments that don't make any sense... (Historic, Cultural, Symbol)

  4. #834
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,133

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine
    You just don't get it do you?
    What makes you think it was legal for the government to put god into our pledge and motto in the first place?
    Explain to me how it was legal.
    It was legal because the President wanted it there and Congress concurred. It was the thus the will of the people. It was legal because it is not an establishement of religion but an acknowledgement of the historical and cultural religious heritage of our country and is based on the belief of the founders that we all have certain God-given rights that no one can take away. It is legal because Congress made it a voluntary exercise with no reward or consequence for participation.
    It is legal because it has no impact of any kind on any legal or unalienable rights of any person. These are the reasons it is legal.

    You have come up with no reason for why it is illegal other than you want it to be.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #835
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    I think in your own way you've probably nailed it Johny. These anti-Pledge folks aren't stupid or completely uneducated. I can't believe they are really so exorcised over two little words in a Pledge that nobody is required to say.

    We don't know for sure, but every now and then they let something slip to make me believe that their real agenda is to strip all religion from all public arenas and make this a totally godless society.

    I don't think they understand how much more bleak the world will be if they ever should succeed.
    1. Care to explain how what I have said makes you think I want the churches bulldozed and bibles burned?

    2. In removing god from the government? If your god needs government support to get children's attention in schools, your religion or any religion isn't worthy of following in the first place.

  6. #836
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    It was legal because the President wanted it there and Congress concurred. It was legal because it is not an establishement of religion but an acknowledgement of the historical and cultural religious heritage of our country and is based on the belief of the founders that we all have certain God-given rights that no one can take away. It is legal because Congress made it a voluntary exercise with no reward or consequence for participation.
    It is legal because it has no impact of any kind on any legal or unalienable rights of any person. These are the reasons it is legal.

    You have come up with no reason for why it is illegal other than you want it to be.
    1. Is that how we make laws in this country? Throw out the constitutionality as long as the president and congress agree? I think not.

    2. We have gone over this before, me and several others who can explain it better than me. A. The clause isn't refering to a specific denomination but religion in general. B. No-where do I remember god being mentioned in our inalienable rights.

    3. Not when its an official representation of our nation. When it is our Official Motto. I should not, nor should children of this nation be compelled to think that what best describes our nation's value is our trust in an imaginary false idol.

  7. #837
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    Hey I've been asking for responses to the criteria that would make two words in the pledge constitutionally illegal. So far not one person has decided to take up that challenge. And yes, any good debater will ignore the 'It's so because I said so' argument.
    That's because you can't see your nose in front of your face. It's all over this forum.

    1) It's a law.

    2) It's a law passed by Congress.

    3) It establishes religion in that it affirms that a religion is valid.

    3) It's denies people the free exercise of their religion, it. This includes both the poly-theists, since the offending law only says "god", and the atheists, who don't have a religion but are now constrained in the formulaic patriotic utterance to say words to the contrary.

    The First Amendment says that the CONGRESS shall make no LAW regarding the ESTABLISHMENT of religion or the FREE EXERCISE thereof.

    Where you been this last 800 posts?

  8. #838
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Where you been this last 800 posts?

    Read its Bible...

  9. #839
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    Common decency requires that we respect that you are a non believer. Common decency requires that you respect that most Americans do not share your non belief.
    How are you respecting me when you're requiring that the proper form of patriotic utterance include a positive affirmation of your beliefs?

    How am I disrespecting you when I protest your rude usurpation of my patriotism?

  10. #840
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,133

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    How are you respecting me when you're requiring that the proper form of patriotic utterance include a positive affirmation of your beliefs?

    How am I disrespecting you when I protest your rude usurpation of my patriotism?
    How did I usurp your patriotism? You aren't required to repeat a Pledge that is objectionable to you. But for more than 50 years now, Americans have been reciting the Pledge with no distinguishable ill effects on anyone, and to the best of my knowledge, not a single person has been punished for refusing to participate. Is your patriotism contingent on saying a Pledge that is worded as you wish it to be worded?

    P.S. I didn't write it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 84 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •