View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 8 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #71
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdalton
    I understan exactly what you are saying, but I don't feel the word God pushes one religion over another, hell Allah is just another word for God but since we don't speak that language we don't use that word (make any sence?). There are many names for many different gods but most relate to one being, "A rose by any other name", god just refers to god, not christian, not hebrew, not muslim, not any other religion, just god which we have a constitutional right to worship and or speak of.

    I believe they could have used a little more tact in trying to change the pledge by saying they wanted to go back to the original instead of making it all about the word God. I know I may be wrong but that is my own feelings on the matter.
    What about people who do not believe in any gods? Shouldn't the minority in this country be allowed to feel patriotic when reciting the pledge? Can you imagine the reaction to a pledge that stated one nation under Caucasians? What about heterosexuality? These are a few of the majority sects of this country. Think of a name to any majority group you do not belong to, then insert it appropriately. Now imagine the government making that pledge official. Would this make you feel welcome in the Land of the Free? You are now standing in the shoes of an atheist.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  2. #72
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrefighter
    I caught some of the news and saw that a federal judge says they cannot say the pledge in schools in east Cali. anymore. Why? Because they have the words under god in it. I watched for a few more minutes and they showed people in Houston fighting in front of a school about what I still don't know. A spokesman for the Nation of Islam was answering questions about it or I should say dodging questions. When asked what they were fighting over all he would do is say one group sees the evacuees getting things and the other group is jealous about it. What he said at least three times is what got me and that is the Nation of Islam is going into the schools and will take care of this problem. Is it just me are is this not a double standard. We have people attacking god everywhere(schools, courthouses, and anywhere public gathers) but the Nation of Islam is going to go into schools and no one is saying jack about it. Where is the ACLU? They attack everything else. I don't want the Nation of Islam in any school where my child is do you? I just don't understand the direction this country is going except that I feel very uncomfortable when I see god attacked constantly and now I see Islam working with impunity. Where are we going asd a country?
    This is very interesting. I am not quite clear as to how Islam is going to get our schools. Could you elaborate please?
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  3. #73
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Bingo



    Yet another bingo



    Vice versa buddy. Say it without the phrase on your own time then if it bothers you that much. Another fact is that the overwheling majority of this world is God beleivers. So if the world was in a democracy guess who would win? Hmm.. that opens your eyes now doesnt it? Minorities do have a opinion and a say. But not when you arent made to say it. Its that simple.
    And what about when this country becomes majority non-religious? It is happening as we speak. The number of non-religious people has doubled between 1990 and 2001 from 14.3 million to 29.5 million. Will you be alright if the Pledge is changed to "one nation, under no god"? You pointed out that the majority rules, so I guess you'll have no choice but to be alright with it.

    Source:
    http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/resea...y_findings.htm
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  4. #74
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    And what about when this country becomes majority non-religious? It is happening as we speak. The number of non-religious people has doubled between 1990 and 2001 from 14.3 million to 29.5 million.
    I would kindly as you to post a non aeithistic link to this claim please otherwise I will just disregard how I disregard other liberal posts. I wil not be suprised if you tried to give me some atheistic link. Good luck.

    Now next issue at hand

    Really?

    What "godly principle" is the three branches of government based on?
    What "godly principle" is our Republican form of government based on?
    What "godly principle" is freedom of speech based on?
    What "godly principle" is freedom of religion based on (I really want to hear that explaination)?
    What "godly principle" is the right to keep and bear arms based on?
    What "godly principle" is the writ of habeous corpus based on?
    What "godly principle" is property rights based on?
    What "godly principle" is the right to trial by jury based on?

    Those are founding principles of our country, what are the "godly principles"?
    If I really have to explain this to you then I am sorry you are in the wrong thread to speak upon these matters.

  5. #75
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Again this source is highly inaccurate. The statistic you just quoted was interpreting this by how many people subscribed to a religion. Well what the hell does that mean SUBSCRIBE? You mean church congreagations as to apposed the american population? The fact is the reason why the number is going up between 1990-2000 is becasue the more illegals we get the more non church goers becasue they dont have very many spanish speaking churches to harvest this large quatity of illegals which we do notice as population in america. However, the question isnt about who attends church the question is who beleives in God and thats not what the stat said. Majority of people beleive in God but dont attend or subscribe to a church. So that stat is entirely inacurate. And your talking 30million people in the span of 300million americans. I thnk you have along way to go buddy. Good luck

  6. #76
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Again this source is highly inaccurate. The statistic you just quoted was interpreting this by how many people subscribed to a religion. Well what the hell does that mean SUBSCRIBE? You mean church congreagations as to apposed the american population? The fact is the reason why the number is going up between 1990-2000 is becasue the more illegals we get the more non church goers becasue they dont have very many spanish speaking churches to harvest this large quatity of illegals which we do notice as population in america. However, the question isnt about who attends church the question is who beleives in God and thats not what the stat said. Majority of people beleive in God but dont attend or subscribe to a church. So that stat is entirely inacurate. And your talking 30million people in the span of 300million americans. I thnk you have along way to go buddy. Good luck
    You are making up more facts. Back it up, any of it.

    The primary question was, “What is your religion, if any?” Then, when appropriate, the same was asked about the spouse/partner. The interviewer did not provide a list of suggested answers; respondents were expected to answer on their own. How is this inaccurate?

    Same source.
    Last edited by Alex; 09-15-05 at 08:47 PM.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  7. #77
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    I would kindly as you to post a non aeithistic link to this claim please otherwise I will just disregard how I disregard other liberal posts. I wil not be suprised if you tried to give me some atheistic link. Good luck.

    Now next issue at hand



    If I really have to explain this to you then I am sorry you are in the wrong thread to speak upon these matters.
    Making up more facts and not being able to back up the ones you claim. No surprise as you have not been able to prove anything you post.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  8. #78
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    otherwise I will just disregard how I disregard other liberal posts.
    Got a question for you, SKILMATIC, are you here to debate and learn, or just only read stuff that agrees with your point of view?

  9. #79
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Vice versa buddy. Say it without the phrase on your own time then if it bothers you that much.
    Fortunately the rights of people who want to shove god down people's throats who do not want the intrusion have been restricted.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Another fact is that the overwheling majority of this world is God beleivers. So if the world was in a democracy guess who would win?
    Fortunately, again, our forefathers were smarter than those people who claim that majority rules when it comes to personal freedoms and separating our government from religion. They were wise enough to know what so many bible thumpers seem not to know, namely that religion is a private matter and has no right intruding into the public lives of Americans.

    The more that god is removed from the public sector the better off all of us are as Americans because we are then all equal. Privately anyone of you can practice any religion you choose. It is your freedom to do so, one that will never be taken away from you. Conversely, the right to not practice any religion is equally important.

    Making people have god in their lives when they do not want god to be involved is very wrong IMHO. This excellent ruling separates god from all of those who want to be away from god in the public arena.

    Hooray for the new "old" pledge!
    Last edited by 26 X World Champs; 09-15-05 at 08:51 PM.

  10. #80
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Got a question for you, SKILMATIC, are you here to debate and learn, or just only read stuff that agrees with your point of view?
    Well actually I am debating and reading but you havent taught me anything yet that I dont already know. I have heard all this saame rhetoric before and it doesnt phase me one bit.

    How many times do I have to spit facts to you people to understand that this pledge isnt unconstitutional? I mean no one makes you recite it. You dont get punished for not doing so. So whats the fuss? Again simply just say it without the god part on your own time. Is that too hard of a fact to understand? Or are you going to argue to me someone holds a gun to your head and makes you recite it. C'mon people you have no argument. If it was we this phrase wouldve been deleted already so get a clue.

Page 8 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •