View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #41
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View
    I think it should be in there because it is a part of our history. Plus, if you are not a Christian I think "under god" is speaking of a higher power and not the Christian God.
    Sorry, it is NOT a part of our "history." It was added to the Pledge in the 50s during the height of McCarthyism to differentiate the US from the USSR.

    It was not in the pledge for 100+ years....all way back when...

  2. #42
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger
    Wasn't there to begin with, shouldn't be there now. Lots of citizens do not believe in the Judeo/Christian god so that entity should not be part of our national pledge which is for ALL citizens. Religious faith should not be a part of it.
    I agree with Stinger! WOW! Never thought I would type those words....

  3. #43
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Sorry, it is NOT a part of our "history." It was added to the Pledge in the 50s during the height of McCarthyism to differentiate the US from the USSR.
    Wouldnt you say 50yrs ago was history? I beleive history is the past right? WEll whether it be 500yrs 50yrs or 5days ago its still history.

    No the pledge doesnt refer to the judaeo god and where does it refer to it? Does it say that? And do we make everyone say it? I think not therefore its constitutional. Until the country makes each individual say it then it wont be unconstitutional.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    Since when do the rights of the few outweigh the rights of the many?

    I see nothing wrong with keeping the term "under God" in the pledge. What about the vast majority of parents that prefer to have their children recite the pledge with "under God?" I guess their rights are thrown out the window?

    What I find far more offensive is those of you on the right using terms like "liberal activist judge" whenever a decision is made that you don't care for. Who's to say he's not a conservative who is mistakenly, trying to interpret the constitution?
    The 9th circuit court in San Francisco is the most activisr appeals court in this country...About 40% of their rulings are overturned by the SCOTUS.......So will this one...........Take it to the bank.......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #45
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Thats ok world champs. The yanks have yet another all star lineup and they are for some reason in 4th place with boston in 1st(i think). And I suppose you still want to argue with facts again?

  6. #46
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC

    No the pledge doesnt refer to the judaeo god and where does it refer to it? Does it say that?
    Yes, it does refer to the Judeo-Christian god by its capitalization. In English, a generic god isn't capitalized, however,when it refers to a specific, such as the Judeo-Christian god, it is capitalized to be "God"

    http://www.usconstitution.net/pledge.html
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.",


    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    And do we make everyone say it? I think not therefore its constitutional. Until the country makes each individual say it then it wont be unconstitutional.
    The appeals court noted that the U.S. Supreme Court has said students cannot be compelled to recite the pledge. But even when the pledge is voluntary, "the school district is nonetheless conveying a message of state endorsement of a religious belief when it requires public school teachers to recite, and lead the recitation of, the current form of the pledge."

  7. #47
    Sage
    Stinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The South
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    14,120

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    And do we make everyone say it? I think not therefore its constitutional. Until the country makes each individual say it then it wont be unconstitutional.
    I have on several occasions said the Pledge as written during a public recitation. "One Nation, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All." Of course that puts me ahead of everyone else. As a result I have had people turn around and say "Why don't you say RIGHT!" and "If you can't say it right to go somewhere else". Yes they are idiots but then the constitution is to protect us from the wrath of the idiots which sometimes are the majority.

    The Pledge of Allegiance is for ALL citizens to pledge that allegiance to OUR COUNTRY. Not to acknowledge someone Else's faith or belief in supernatural beings. It has not place in our national pledge and splits the country rather than unites us.

  8. #48
    Advisor gdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    10-14-05 @ 08:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    308

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    This is just silly guys, come on, everyone one likes to shout tolerate everything as long as you don't mention God. If it offends you then don't say it, no one has a gun to your head. When I was a anarchist teen I never said the pledge so why can't anyone who is offended just omit that particular phrase and let the others say it if they want. How bout freedom of speech, shouldn't that protect the ones who prefer to say "under God". I just don't get it, why are some people so offended by this but they are the same people who would stand up for NAMBLA's right to talk about "loving" little boys. If we have to use separation of church and state then just say "ok little kiddies, some people are offended by the word God in our pledge so when we say the pledge if you are offended leave God out of it."
    But honestly I just can't over how silly this all is, the pledge in no way says you must be religious, nor does it promote one religion over another (lots of religions capitalize the word God). The constitution gives us freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion, although you are free not to believe in a god you are also free to believe in which ever god you prefer, this is what I believe is meant by freedom of religion.

  9. #49
    Advisor gdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    10-14-05 @ 08:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    308

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Alright I did my research and see that if we want to keep history straight we shouldn't have added "under God" so I will have to say that if they want to remove it then they should. I still don't like all this crap about tolerating everything exept God though, it's getting realy silly.

    Anyways here is a little snippet about when the pledge was changed,

    "In 1954, Congress after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus, added the words, 'under God,' to the Pledge. The Pledge was now both a patriotic oath and a public prayer.

    Bellamy's granddaughter said he also would have resented this second change. He had been pressured into leaving his church in 1891 because of his socialist sermons. In his retirement in Florida, he stopped attending church because he disliked the racial bigotry he found there."

    I like how this peace ends,

    "If the Pledge's historical pattern repeats, its words will be modified during this decade. Below are two possible changes.

    Some prolife advocates recite the following slightly revised Pledge: 'I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all, born and unborn.'

    A few liberals recite a slightly revised version of Bellamy's original Pledge: 'I pledge allegiance to my Flag, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with equality, liberty and justice for all.'"

    I say if we change it we should go back to the original,
    'I pledge allegiance to my Flag and (to*) the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.' He considered placing the word, 'equality,' in his Pledge, but knew that the state superintendents of education on his committee were against equality for women and African Americans. [ * 'to' added in October, 1892. ]


    Oh well,

    source:
    http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

  10. #50
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdalton
    This is just silly guys, come on, everyone one likes to shout tolerate everything as long as you don't mention God. If it offends you then don't say it, no one has a gun to your head.
    The problem goes a little deeper than that though.

    I'm sure you've heard this example before, but read the twist.

    Let's say that there are some changes in the government. They decide to change all major government sponsored holidays from Christian Holidays so that Christmas is no longer an official vacation day but Ramadan is. The pledge changes from "under God" to "under Allah". Coins change from "in Allah we trust". Etc. The USA does this because its population has become Muslim in majority.

    So, would these changes be based on the population and its new sense of history, or would these be based on a religious agenda?

    The point is, it's not the fact that it's a pledge and one may or may not say it. It's the deeper point that the government should not be endorsing one religious belief over another.

Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •