View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #361
    Educator Columbusite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Last Seen
    01-04-07 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    808

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    tHE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS. It is not constitutional to even make anyone say a pledge in this nation. For it breeches the freedom of speech amendemnt. So again your not made to say it and the state or federal level doesnt endorse it casue they dont make you and I recite it. So therefore its not unconstitutional. Its realy that simple.
    The fact of the matter is that the pledge, whether mandatory or not, is state endorsing religion and therefore unconstitutional PERIOD.

  2. #362
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Dude, is it a pledge of allegiance to the USA or God? The USA you say? So what is God doing in a pledge to the USA?

    Religion has no place in the pledge.
    Again its not state endorsed how many times do I have to go over this little simply common sensed fact. Until it is let me know and I will be the first to denounce it.



    The fact of the matter is that the pledge, whether mandatory or not, is state endorsing religion and therefore unconstitutional PERIOD.
    No its not state endosed and I can proves this by simply asking you what you did today? Was the recessitation of the pledge and its unforsaken phrase "under god" in any shape or form apart of your day? I think the answer to this question says it all.

    Thank you please try again.

  3. #363
    Educator Columbusite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Last Seen
    01-04-07 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    808

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    There is no way to have a Pledge that includes all Americans. For instance the Jehovah Witnesses would not say the Pledge either the old way or the new way as their religion forbids making any kind of secular pledge or oath. Some on this thread for whatever reason dislike this country enough they wouldn't say a pledge of allegiance to its flag no matter how it was worded.
    Over the years various organizations such as The American Legion and the Ku Klux Klan, to name two, have changed the wording to suit their particular agenda. I think it was in the 1940's that the first constitutional challenge to the Pledge was filed and lost in court but the ruling that nobody can be required to recite the Pledge has prevailed.

    The version most people use is the version preferred by a substantial majority of Americans now. It is not an establishment of any religion for reasons I have detailed in prior posts. It is not unconstitutional. And the majority should prevail until a new majority wishes to change it.
    True, you'll always have a few who won't. That's why I said earlier we should just scrap it, but realistically that won't happen anytime soon. I don't want a pledge not because I hate this country, quite the contrary, pledging allegiance to a flag does nothing to show patriotism and looks like something out of a dictatorship. Liberty and Justice for all? Don't make me laugh. Instead, at the very least our pledge should not have state endorsing religion. You have not shown it is not "respecting an establishment of religion", because it clearly is. Just like school led prayer was found unconstitutional for the state endorsing religion so too should the pledge be found unconstitutional on the same grounds. You have yet to even attempt to refute that point.

  4. #364
    Educator Columbusite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Last Seen
    01-04-07 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    808

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Again its not state endorsed how many times do I have to go over this little simply common sensed fact. Until it is let me know and I will be the first to denounce it.





    No its not state endosed and I can proves this by simply asking you what you did today? Was the recessitation of the pledge and its unforsaken phrase "under god" in any shape or form apart of your day? I think the answer to this question says it all.

    Thank you please try again.
    Sorry, 26 X World Champs, I just couldn't resist. Not endorsed by the state? So that's why Congress passed that bill to add the phrase and it was signed into law in 1954 . Looks like common sense to me.

  5. #365
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    No its not state endosed and I can proves this by simply asking you what you did today? Was the recessitation of the pledge and its unforsaken phrase "under god" in any shape or form apart of your day? I think the answer to this question says it all.
    My son had to say it today, and it included "under God." So it was very much a part of my day.

    Was he forced to say "under God"? No....but he was forced to omit God from somewhere that God did not belong.

    You didn't answer my question, how come? Is this a pledge to the USA or God? If you say USA than what is God doing in a pledge to the USA? Try to not avoid answering please?

  6. #366
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbusite
    Sorry, 26 X World Champs, I just couldn't resist. Not endorsed by the state? So that's why Congress passed that bill to add the phrase and it was signed into law in 1954 . Looks like common sense to me.
    EXACTLY...I wonder how many times you and I have to repeat to the loyal opposition that they're intruding into my life with their religion?

    The cold harsh reality is that this is a Christian vs. the USA issue, in reality, always has been. The intrusion of God into politics is inevitable, and will always be there, but that does not mean that it is Constitutional. I think Pro-God people have every right to try to infuse their God into my life so long as they abide by the laws of the land. If the laws say it's unconstitutional that means it is and unless reversed there really isn't any argument that can be made, especially re the Pledge which has NOTHING to do with God or religion.

  7. #367
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    My son had to say it today, and it included "under God." So it was very much a part of my day.
    Ha! Im sure his arm was twisted when he said it.



    Was he forced to say "under God"? No....but he was forced to omit God from somewhere that God did not belong.
    What? Can you please make sense of this please.

    You didn't answer my question, how come? Is this a pledge to the USA or God? If you say USA than what is God doing in a pledge to the USA? Try to not avoid answering please?
    Again this has nothing to do with anything. If you arent made to say it from the state or federal level then its irrelevant. Again its like putting your hand on the Bible in court. What? Are you going to complaign about the book you put your hand in in a state or federal court? What are you going to say? I want to put my hand on last months issue of Playboy?

  8. #368
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    O but wait! Why is it that out court system the same system that outlawed the recisitation of under god in a pleadge when it used the Bible as the keystone to pledge yourself under oath? Hmmmmm.... good question isnt it? Mabe the founding fathers made a mistake and meant to implement the use of any literature when it came to pleadging yourself under oath?

  9. #369
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    EXACTLY...I wonder how many times you and I have to repeat to the loyal opposition that they're intruding into my life with their religion?
    And please explain to me how we are doing that? I will tell you the same thing I told the athiest who didnt want the cross on Mt. Soledad. "Just dont look at it." And you'll never know its there. Simple easy answer to all the problems. So in your case just dont say that phrase. Simple as that. Let me know if you get thrown in jail for not including that phrase. I will be the first to post your bail.

  10. #370
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    idea Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Now I am liberal democrat, and I truly can not see why everyone is worked up over the Phrase under god in the Pledge of Allegiance.

    When you say the Pledge, you are pledging allegiance to the United States not to God. When I was a kid and going to school the Pledge under god was not in the Pledge of Allegiance. After 1949, the pledge of allegiance was in the pledge. The Pledge is not a religious pledge, it is not asking you to become a Christian, a Jew, or a Moslem. It is asking you to be an American.
    If youi are an atheist, it means nothing to yu, and therefore cannot offend.

    I think this is just lot BS, Bush****, and Liberals are not offended by the the Pledge.

    I think those that claim to be offended are actually right wing fascist types in disguise, trying to spread more lies about Liberals like me, and to make liberals look bad. A true liberal will not be offended by the words Under God. So it has to be rightwing anti-american lackies telling more lies about liberals.

    I one time read while I was in college that Mao Tse Sung, of china fame, once said that " If everyone lived by the principles of the Sermon on the Mount, then there would never have been to need to create communism."

    I am a christian, and we all know that it is corporatism and greed that is controling our government, and the world has not seen the end of communism, I am afraid. Believe it or not but People do not wish to Die for Exxon and starve to make Haliburton rich. Bush is making a serious error privatizing everything. Bush is making greed the motivation for taking care of the poor, instead of service. The right is very very very dangerous to America, To God, to the land itself, and to our constitution.

    Check out these sites and keep an open mind. Think of our terrible hurricanes. Maybe ????

    http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

    http://www.earthpulse.com/src/category.asp?catid=1

Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •