View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 36 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #351
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,114

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by shuamort
    So, you're saying it's just about the verbiage and that should be of no concern to those whom it offends?
    There is no constitutional right to not be offended. I would be offended by a phrase 'under no god' in the Pledge and would in fact refuse to say that. But as the phrase would have no material effect on my property, my person, my livelihood, etc., I would have no constitutional right for it not to be there. And such time as enough Americans who wanted the Pledge to say 'under no god' constituted a majority and voted that way, that is the way it should be.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #352
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Originally Posted by shuamort
    So, you're saying it's just about the verbiage and that should be of no concern to those whom it offends?


    There is no constitutional right to not be offended. I would be offended by a phrase 'under no god' in the Pledge and would in fact refuse to say that. But as the phrase would have no material effect on my property, my person, my livelihood, etc., I would have no constitutional right for it not to be there. And such time as enough Americans who wanted the Pledge to say 'under no god' constituted a majority and voted that way, that is the way it should be.
    Exactly, as I have said before. When the state or federal gov makes you say it word for word at gunpoint then I will be the first to bet shot for our freedom of speech. This isnt what I have bled, sweated and teared, and sacrificed for. If I am laying down my life for this country I expect all inalienable human rights to be followed through. Which indellably incl. the right to free speech. I have no remorse if someone wants to say it with the god of their choice or without the phrase. But by no means is it unconstitutional.

  3. #353
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Exactly, as I have said before. When the state or federal gov makes you say it word for word at gunpoint then I will be the first to bet shot for our freedom of speech. This isnt what I have bled, sweated and teared, and sacrificed for. If I am laying down my life for this country I expect all inalienable human rights to be followed through. Which indellably incl. the right to free speech. I have no remorse if someone wants to say it with the god of their choice or without the phrase. But by no means is it unconstitutional.
    You're right, if the government didn't doctrinate the Pledge of America and then the state of California consider it a fulfillment of their code that I posted earlier, then we'd be on the same page. Since both of those have happened, then what you and I have both bled, sweated and teared, and sacrificed for is lost.

  4. #354
    Educator Columbusite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Last Seen
    01-04-07 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    808

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    Perhaps you have a better plan then? Who should decide what the people's lifestyle, culture, or practices shall be when nobody's rights are at stake? Should you have that responsibility? Should I? Do you want to trust it to a judge to decide? Or even the legislature? How about the president whomever he or she shall be?

    Don't you see that the ONLY way a democratic people decide these things is by majority will. The Constitution profoundly protects us from a tyranny of the majority or a minority. But a majority vote is the only reasonable way to decide whether green or blue wallpaper is going to be put up or any other matter that hinges purely on preference.
    Yes I do: when a decision is unconstitutional it should not be put up to vote. Just as school led prayer was found unconstitutional for state endorsing religion so should the pledge be unconstitutional for the same reason. Reverting the pledge back to the way it was is really the only way for the pledge to work. The pledge is about unity and you can't have that when the pledge divides Americans. In order for the pledge to do what it's supposed to it will have to be reverted so that all Americans are included, not excluded.

  5. #355
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,114

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbusite
    Yes I do: when a decision is unconstitutional it should not be put up to vote. Just as school led prayer was found unconstitutional for state endorsing religion so should the pledge be unconstitutional for the same reason. Reverting the pledge back to the way it was is really the only way for the pledge to work. The pledge is about unity and you can't have that when the pledge divides Americans. In order for the pledge to do what it's supposed to it will have to be reverted so that all Americans are included, not excluded.
    There is no way to have a Pledge that includes all Americans. For instance the Jehovah Witnesses would not say the Pledge either the old way or the new way as their religion forbids making any kind of secular pledge or oath. Some on this thread for whatever reason dislike this country enough they wouldn't say a pledge of allegiance to its flag no matter how it was worded.
    Over the years various organizations such as The American Legion and the Ku Klux Klan, to name two, have changed the wording to suit their particular agenda. I think it was in the 1940's that the first constitutional challenge to the Pledge was filed and lost in court but the ruling that nobody can be required to recite the Pledge has prevailed.

    The version most people use is the version preferred by a substantial majority of Americans now. It is not an establishment of any religion for reasons I have detailed in prior posts. It is not unconstitutional. And the majority should prevail until a new majority wishes to change it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #356
    Lie Detector
    steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Last Seen
    12-08-08 @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    4,081

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    That's where we disagree. The subject goes no deeper than preference because it affects absolutely nothing or nobody other than a few sensibilities. And none of us have a constitutional right to be comfortable in our sensibilities.
    If that was the case, you wouldn't be upset about having that religious context removed from the Pledge of Allegiance.

    So you are deceptive in your claim.

  7. #357
    Lie Detector
    steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Last Seen
    12-08-08 @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    4,081

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    There is no constitutional right to not be offended. I would be offended by a phrase 'under no god' in the Pledge and would in fact refuse to say that.
    And you are offended that the Judge removed the reference to God. But hey, you just said that your dislike is irrelevant. Yet you keep on harping on it, showing that you are not entirely honest with us here.

  8. #358
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    There is no constitutional right to not be offended. I would be offended by a phrase 'under no god' in the Pledge and would in fact refuse to say that. But as the phrase would have no material effect on my property, my person, my livelihood, etc., I would have no constitutional right for it not to be there. And such time as enough Americans who wanted the Pledge to say 'under no god' constituted a majority and voted that way, that is the way it should be.
    I do not understand some of you? The Constitution is plain, so clear, NO MENTION OF GOD, period.

    It's a totally moot point whether it says UNDER GOD or UNDER NO GOD, both are not permissable.

    What is so bizarre to me is that this is a pledge of allegiance to the USA so what does pledging allegiance to the USA have to do with God? I know!!! NOTHING!

    It is not a pledge of allegiance to God!

    BTW - Majority rule has zero, yes, zero to do with this issue. It too is moot.

    I love that some of you want to ignore the Constitution. Talk about a slippery slope! But it's no surprise because since the dawn of the USA there have been those of you who want to infuse God into the government yet no matter how many times the courts shoot you down someone else tries again to force their religion into the US Government.

    One last time, this is a pledge of loyalty to the USA and the USA has no official view of God, for or against.

  9. #359
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    tHE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS. It is not constitutional to even make anyone say a pledge in this nation. For it breeches the freedom of speech amendemnt. So again your not made to say it and the state or federal level doesnt endorse it casue they dont make you and I recite it. So therefore its not unconstitutional. Its realy that simple.

  10. #360
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    tHE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS. It is not constitutional to even make anyone say a pledge in this nation. For it breeches the freedom of speech amendemnt. So again your not made to say it and the state or federal level doesnt endorse it casue they dont make you and I recite it. So therefore its not unconstitutional. Its realy that simple.
    Dude, is it a pledge of allegiance to the USA or God? The USA you say? So what is God doing in a pledge to the USA?

    Religion has no place in the pledge.

Page 36 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •