View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 29 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #281
    Advisor gdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    10-14-05 @ 08:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    308

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by shuamort
    I'll kindly ask both of you where I said that. Or we could just skip to the fact that since I didn't say that saying the pledge was a requirement by law, then we could just ignore your strawmen.
    Sorry, I thought that your question of

    Quote Originally Posted by shuamort
    So if we don't like other laws and edicts issued by the government, we should ignore them too?
    was suggesting we had a law that required us to say the pledge, so I guess I have no idea of what, if any, point you where trying to make with this question.

    And, for the last time, I agree that the phrase "under God" should be removed but only because it was not originally written that way.

  2. #282
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyasha
    These are your words. "Other laws" is the operative phrase here and indicates that you consider the reciting of the pledge a law or a legal obligation. if you don't understand what you have said, i cant make it any clearer. The proof is that TWO plople answered you wuth the same thought and I don't even know the other guy nor he me.
    Let's pare this down a bit. The pledge of allegiance as it currently is, with "under God", was put into law in 1954.

    "From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our Nation and our people to the Almighty." President Eisenhower (1954) after signing into law a bill to have "under God" added to the original pledge

    So, Ike signed the new PoA into law. A law stating that the PoA includes the words "under God". Your proposal is to ignore this law. My rebuttal to that would be that since you're choosing to ignore the law that states that the PoA is sans "under God", then what other laws and edicts issued by the government should we ignore. The point, albeit a silly one, is to show that simply ignoring the law isn't a good, or in this constitutional, recourse for the problem.

  3. #283
    Professor
    Inuyasha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-13-09 @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Well then according to what you say it is a law.
    from life i have learned:
    My greatest teachers have been my own failures.
    Ignorance is often the mother of valor.

    from my military service:
    Once you have pulled the pin, Mr Grenade is not your friend.

  4. #284
    Advisor gdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    10-14-05 @ 08:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    308

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by shuamort
    So if we don't like other laws and edicts issued by the government, we should ignore them too?
    Quote Originally Posted by shuamort
    I'll kindly ask both of you where I said that. Or we could just skip to the fact that since I didn't say that saying the pledge was a requirement by law, then we could just ignore your strawmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by shuamort
    So, Ike signed the new PoA into law. A law stating that the PoA includes the words "under God". Your proposal is to ignore this law. My rebuttal to that would be that since you're choosing to ignore the law that states that the PoA is sans "under God", then what other laws and edicts issued by the government should we ignore. The point, albeit a silly one, is to show that simply ignoring the law isn't a good, or in this constitutional, recourse for the problem.
    Damn Shuey, your making my head hurt.

  5. #285
    Professor
    Inuyasha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-13-09 @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Well then according to what you say it is a law.

    However it is in thought rather like the law in Iowa prohibiting the hanging of men's and womens under garments on the same clothes line. These are laws that could be enforced but probably never will be. Would you uphold and practice that law?

    http://www.dullmen.com/silly_laws.htm
    from life i have learned:
    My greatest teachers have been my own failures.
    Ignorance is often the mother of valor.

    from my military service:
    Once you have pulled the pin, Mr Grenade is not your friend.

  6. #286
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyasha
    Well then according to what you say it is a law.

    However it is in thought rather like the law in Iowa prohibiting the hanging of men's and womens under garments on the same clothes line. These are laws that could be enforced but probably never will be. Would you uphold and practice that law?

    http://www.dullmen.com/silly_laws.htm
    I was in Pryor OK in college for a week. It's a tiny town Northeast of Tulsa and small enough where people would exchange 4 digits when asked for their phone numbers as the area code and prefix were the same. In that city, a law sat on the books that stated that a person needs to walk in front of the car on Main Street so as not to scare the horses. Sure enough, on Friday night, which is when cars would filled with teens would cruise the streets, they would get out and walk in front of the car on Main Street. Not out of ironic respect, but because the police were enforcing and ticketing those who didn't.

    The lesson: it would behoove the public to remove these silly laws.

  7. #287
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride
    As I already said it does not matter what the people say that want God out of everything in this country.......The 9th circuit court is a radical court filled with activist jusdges whose decisions are constantly overturned by the SCOTUS and that is what will happen in this case........

    You can take it to the bank.....
    Under God has been in the Pledge since 1949, and I can't see that it hurts anyone or forces anyone to be a christian. The pledge does not mention Christ, and it pledges one's allegiance to the United States, not God.

    Besides we all know that as long as the Fascist Right is in power that no matter how we speak of God, we are on our way to Satan, and disaster for the United States.

    Thank you God, for the 9th Circuit Court, and while you are at it Lord, please drop George Bush , Dick Cheney, Newt Gingrich, Rush, and Lars Larson into the middle of the Newest Hurricaine, about a hundred mile off the coast, and without a life jacket.. Also Lord save our troops by bringing them home from Bush's War, and return our democracy to it roots. Please don't allow the United States to become Fascist Right Wing dictatorship. Amen
    Last edited by dragonslayer; 09-19-05 at 03:22 PM.

  8. #288
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger
    Well it is rediculous because it is a completely bogus statement. Those who do not believe in Chrisitanity are certainly trying to get churches torn down and not has a "hissy fit" as you so childishly put it. It has nothing to do with you PRIVATE worship in your church or home or other private property. It has to do with our NATION our collective NATION whcih ALL of us are citizens of and not just YOU. But again it is telling that your side has to so completely misrepersent the other side when you know full well it has nothing to do with your private worship.



    No it is not it is completely different, you can't make the intellicual distinctintion between the private religious and the public gatherings where YOU want YOUR religious practices injected?





    Fine then let's take out the references to faith and then you don't have to say it anymore. Or let's change it to Allah and you don't have to say it anymore.

    Why do YOU insist of making the pledge, as codified under law, devisive when it clearly states we should be indivisable.

    Tell me why you insist on the under God phrase even being in there.



    Which has nothing to do with the issue.
    When did I ever insist of "under god" being in the pledge? I beleive I made it clear that I was insisting that this argument is unconstitutional casue you arent made to recite the pladge. Until you are made to then it is totally legal in all aspects. Just say the plege without the phrase or supplement it with what you beleve in. Simple as that.

    Any questions?

  9. #289
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer
    Under God has been in the Pledge since 1949, and I can't see that it hurts anyone or forces anyone to be a christian. The pledge does not mention Christ, and it pledges one's allegiance to the United States, not God.
    I'm assuming that you've read the whole thread then? Feel free to counter any of the points I've already made.

  10. #290
    Pundit-licious
    shuamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    When did I ever insist of "under god" being in the pledge? I beleive I made it clear that I was insisting that this argument is unconstitutional casue you arent made to recite the pladge. Until you are made to then it is totally legal in all aspects. Just say the plege without the phrase or supplement it with what you beleve in. Simple as that.

    Any questions?
    Sure, the fact that it was made into law, what does that have to do with recitation or not. The law is the law and the establishment clause in the Constitution prevents such laws from being made.

Page 29 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •