View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 17 of 107 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #161
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    This Newsweek poll was published in June 2002:
    Now 9 of 10 doesn't indicate much diviseness wouldn't you say? So the question is, why should one anti-religious person get to dicate how nine others will say the Pledge of Allegiance when it is neither unconstitutional nor coercive in any way and infringes on nobody's rights?
    Sorry, meaningless and trivial "facts" mean nothing when discussing the constitutionality of something, which is one of the things that makes the Constitution such a great document.

    Anyone can say the pledge, it is not outlawed. Are you pledging allegiance to your country or not? If its to your country then why can't you respect the fact that our government is NEUTRAL on religions, all of them.

    To all of you so offended by the removal of "under God" from the "Pledge" does that mean you're going to stop reciting it?

  2. #162
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,116

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by 26 X World Champs
    Sorry, meaningless and trivial "facts" mean nothing when discussing the constitutionality of something, which is one of the things that makes the Constitution such a great document.

    Anyone can say the pledge, it is not outlawed. Are you pledging allegiance to your country or not? If its to your country then why can't you respect the fact that our government is NEUTRAL on religions, all of them.

    To all of you so offended by the removal of "under God" from the "Pledge" does that mean you're going to stop reciting it?
    I do not see that reciting the Pledge with the phrase "under God" in it negates the neutrality of the government re religion in any way. I do not believe acknowledging, heritage, culture, tradition, and history in any way is an establishment of religion and it in no way violates the Constitution.

    Did I say I was offended by the removal of 'under God' from the Pledge? I have specifically said I don't personally feel I have in a dog in the fight re the phrase itself, because I honestly don't care if they take it out or leave it in. But if they take it out, I want it to be because most Americans want it out. And if they leave it in, I want it to be because most Americans want it in.

    It isn't a matter of fairness or equity or civil rights or Constitution. It has everything to do with people's full constitutional rights to be religious or not religious as they choose. You can interpret the phrase anyway you wish or refuse to say it at all. But I do not think you should have the right to tell me I can't have it when almost 90% of Americans want it to be there and it takes nothing at all away from you.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #163
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Again who cares. We can say it however we like it under the freedom of speech right. So you say it your way I will say it my way.

  4. #164
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,116

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Again who cares. We can say it however we like it under the freedom of speech right. So you say it your way I will say it my way.
    Well, yes, I agree with that EXCEPT. . .

    I am sick and tired of a handful of militant anti-religion types chipping away at our constitutional rights. Piece by piece, little by little, they get their judges to rule that you can't have this image here....you can't sing that song there....you can't have a prayer for the safety and good sportsmanship of the football team....you can't celebrate the origins of the Christmas celebration in public....etc. etc. etc. None of these things took anything away from the anti-religious types, but they sure as heck are taking rights and enjoyment away from the 90+% of Americans who had no problem with them.

    They do it little by little and we give in because it doesn't seem important to make a big deal out of something so small. And one day we'll wake up and realize we've lost something huge.

    At some point we have to put on the brakes and say enough.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #165
    Advisor t125eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    06-11-08 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    384

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    wow. AlbqOwl, that's what I was getting at, sort of. you were able to put into words what I could not. I completely agree with you.

  6. #166
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    09-21-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,979

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Read the first post in this thread


    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride
    Well and activist liberal judge from the 9th circuit court in San Francisco has struck again today striking the word "Under God" from the Pledge of Alegiance....

    It will go to the SCOTUS and be struck down but what are your thoughts?

    Now what the federal court judge had to say


    Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in PUBLIC SCHOOLS is unconstitutional, a federal court judge ruled today, saying that the pledge’s reference to “under God” violated school children’s right to be “free from a coercive requirement to affirm God.”


    No one is denying your freedom of religion. You just can't force it on someone else in a GOVERNMENT FUNDED institution.



    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNpledge14.DTL
    “I’m worried that I will be the last Republican president.” - George W. Bush

  7. #167
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    Now what the federal court judge had to say

    Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in PUBLIC SCHOOLS is unconstitutional, a federal court judge ruled today, saying that the pledge’s reference to “under God” violated school children’s right to be “free from a coercive requirement to affirm God.”

    No one is denying your freedom of religion. You just can't force it on someone else in a GOVERNMENT FUNDED institution.

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNpledge14.DTL
    EXACTLY! Well written! Why people have to write things like the "anti-religion crowd" is beyond me!

    I am against the pledge containing the words "Under God" but I am PRO-RELIGION and I bet that is true for most Americans who object to the UNDER GOD portion that used to be in the Pledge.

    What IS wrong is that people can't simply live with their religious freedoms without imposing them on others. That really sucks. Why should a Jewish kid or Muslim kid or a Buddhist kid have to sing Christian songs in Public School?

    Can you imagine how these same people would react if Muslim & Jewish songs were sung in schools? They'd protest to the nth degree.

    It is so simple really. Leave ALL religion out of public schools and public institutions and everyone is treated equally. Include religious songs, words, symbols etc. and you are then treating people UNEQUALLY.

    I find it outrageously selfish for people to force religion onto anyone.

  8. #168
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    wow. AlbqOwl, that's what I was getting at, sort of. you were able to put into words what I could not. I completely agree with you.
    He does this to me all the time . Albqowl is truly a intellectual individual.

    One that I have come to admire very vehemently.

    Anbd I agree too al

  9. #169
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWG
    Now what the federal court judge had to say

    Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in PUBLIC SCHOOLS is unconstitutional, a federal court judge ruled today, saying that the pledge’s reference to “under God” violated school children’s right to be “free from a coercive requirement to affirm God.”

    No one is denying your freedom of religion. You just can't force it on someone else in a GOVERNMENT FUNDED institution.

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNpledge14.DTL

    EXACTLY! Well written! Why people have to write things like the "anti-religion crowd" is beyond me!

    I am against the pledge containing the words "Under God" but I am PRO-RELIGION and I bet that is true for most Americans who object to the UNDER GOD portion that used to be in the Pledge.

    What IS wrong is that people can't simply live with their religious freedoms without imposing them on others. That really sucks. Why should a Jewish kid or Muslim kid or a Buddhist kid have to sing Christian songs in Public School?

    Can you imagine how these same people would react if Muslim & Jewish songs were sung in schools? They'd protest to the nth degree.

    It is so simple really. Leave ALL religion out of public schools and public institutions and everyone is treated equally. Include religious songs, words, symbols etc. and you are then treating people UNEQUALLY.

    I find it outrageously selfish for people to force religion onto anyone.

    Well some could say the same about teachers teaching our kids about the big bang theory. Something which I have never even beleived in. And shouldnt I as a student are entitled to hear all forms of views? I think its only constitutional to teach kids all forms of beleif and values(except radical islam). That means teach kids about all religions and evolution theories. Is this fair?

  10. #170
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    To me the big bang theory is a better name for a porno but thats my opinion

Page 17 of 107 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •