View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 15 of 107 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #141
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Well what do you mean what has gone right? Please give specifics as I have.



    I already have, its in the timeline. You shoudl know your history. You mean to say its just coincidence?

    I suppose you beleive the big bang too? Yeah coincidences is all you base life on. Very smart.
    And apparently you base yours on faith. Where is there any intelligence in that? Nowhere. Faith is a lazy persons belief. They are too mentally lazy to obtain the scientific truth.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  2. #142
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    Again let me spell it out for you. Congress shall pass no law in the establishment of religion. Meaning they cant tell you to not hold religios gatherings or build a church or make any prohibits of any sort on a religion. Is that logical enough? Where in that does it say no god or religion in state or federal affairs? I beleive nowhere in the constitution it says any of those words.
    Here is another section of the Constitution that prohibits religion from government:

    Article VI

    "but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

    My hand is really starting to hurt.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  3. #143
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    And apparently you base yours on faith. Where is there any intelligence in that? Nowhere. Faith is a lazy persons belief. They are too mentally lazy to obtain the scientific truth.
    Actually the facts go both ways. So you mean to say jesus never walked the earth too huh? Yeah that sounds genious too, lol. So I suppose you stick a bunch a ateel in a toronado it will build a sky scraper? The fact is this will never happen therefreo the big bang never happened either. It is easier and more logical to beleive in faith than a impossibility. Your right keep working harder to try to obtain facts casue I alreayd have all the facts I need .

  4. #144
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by t125eagle
    gee Alex. I had not meant to upset you. I do not feel like a higher class citizen at all. But schools do not even allow prayer anymore. Yeah, there is that monent of silence, but its not the same. its harder now to profess ones faith because of worrying about bothering an athiest. i understand your point, but i hadnt meant to take it to the extreme. just questioning.
    You did not upset me. I love debating this topic and I guess I got a little caught up in it. If I made you feel I was upset, that was not my intention. The apology is from me to you.

    Now I have to correct you on something. The Supreme Court ruling that you are referring to did not outlaw school prayer. Students are free to pray as they wish. The ruling struck down a law that required mandatory teacher-led recitation of prayer in schools. There is no such law that prohibits students from praying in schools.

    Source:
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=370&invol=421
    Last edited by Alex; 09-16-05 at 05:53 PM.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  5. #145
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Here is another section of the Constitution that prohibits religion from government:

    Article VI

    "but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

    My hand is really starting to hurt.
    Well if you stop wacking off then your hand will feel better, .

    But your right again that has nothing to do with the founding of this country and its contengencies to religion in any form of its gov. All that states is no matter your affiliation it souldnt even be a factor to hold office. Meaning if you are christian or protestant or taoist then it shouldnt matter casue this is a country of religious freedom thats it. Thats why all this fuss about john roberts is unconstitutional. They are haggling him for his religious beleifs which is unconstitutional.

  6. #146
    Banned SKILMATIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-03-06 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Now I have to correct you on something. The Supreme Court ruling that you are referring to did not outlaw school prayer. Students are free to pray as they wish. The ruling struck down a law that required mandatory teacher-led recitation of prayer in schools. There is no such law that prohibits students from praying in schools.
    I will have to agree with you on that one casue thats a fact. I was able to pray in school. Do you remember cya at the poll? Well that was a huge national day that all kids around the us would pray around their school flagpole. So prayer wasnt totally outlawed

  7. #147
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    World champs, you are a typical bigotting lib. When someone debacles your argument you result to racist, bigotry, andprejuceness comments.
    Thanks for the name calling, does it make you feel better? Maybe next time you'll actually respond to the point that I was making in my post? Give it a try, it's really not that tough.

    You wrote:
    Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    The fact is the reason why the number is going up between 1990-2000 is becasue the more illegals we get the more non church goers becasue they dont have very many spanish speaking churches to harvest this large quatity of illegals which we do notice as population in america.
    Read those words a couple of times? I read those words to mean that because of illegal immigrants who do not attend church because they speak Spanish and churches do not that the number of people in the USA claiming to not be church-goers is incorrect. That is how I interpret those words.

    If you don't like my interpretation of those words then rebut them. I think those words are wrong, really, really wrong. I think that to believe those words to be true is stupid. I have not called you anything, my comments are about the words in that post and my opinion of those words.

    I call them as I read them, and those words to me are ugly generalizations about a group of people. I find those words to be untrue. If you think those are intelligent words that is your opinion and you're welcome to it.

    I think those words translate to prejudice, and that is my opinion. Sorry if you disagree. Maybe you took my words personally because they struck a chord? Who knows?

  8. #148
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,110

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by alex
    "...nothing in the Constitution that prohibits religion"? Read our First Amendment. You obviously are not very well informed.

    "Congress shall pass no law respecting the establishment of religion"

    In your face.
    The First Amendment says "Congress shall pass no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof or abridging the freedom of speech,. . . .etc. etc. "

    You can twist this any way it can be twisted, and there is no way you can show that the recitation of a non-specific reference to God in the Pledge of Allegiance, which no child is required to recite, is an establishment of religion.

    Surely you can see that a law against the government requiring or mandating a religious belief or favoring any one religion over any other is not the same thing as prohibiting religion.

    However, a law that says I may not say "under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance could well be interpreted as a law against my free exercise of religion.

    Personally I have no problem with the phrase being there or not being there. I have a huge problem with those who attempt to force their own prejudices re religion or anything else on everybody else.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #149
    Banned Trajan Octavian Titus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    We can't stop here this is bat country!
    Last Seen
    03-05-08 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    20,915

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Allright if you watch the Daily Show I'm sure you already know that the phrase 'under god,' wasn't even in the pledge of allegiance to begin with (if you noticed I posted this info before the show was even on, I freaking hate when the T.V. says stuff after I've already written it or thought of it, anyways I digress) it was added in the late 40's to use as soft power against the Athiest gov't of the Soviet Union, but by the same token, while it was added ex post facto, is it still not true that one of the greatest attributes of the U.S. is that everyone can practice which ever religion they wish, with out the fear of persecution?

  10. #150
    Banned 26 X World Champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
    Last Seen
    07-04-08 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
    When you have god and godly morals in your schools and life then the chances of these negative things happeing immensely decline, and vice versa. ?
    I find it insulting that someone writes that without god people do not have morals. This is the essence of what turns so many people off about religion.

    People who do not believe in god are equally moral to those that do, period.

    To suggest otherwise to me is ignorant and prejudicial. If you disagree with me that's fine, but I would definitely disagree with you.

Page 15 of 107 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •